Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to know about your rattles....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B-pillar rattle remedy:

I removed the B-pillar covers and tried lots of things to get rid of the rattle. Nothing helped until I put business cards into the slot between the pillar and the roof panel and this fixed the rattle on both sides - 100%!!!!

Now I need suggestions on what can be put there and not look so silly.View attachment 600517

I like it, looks professional. Seriously, thanks for the tip. I have had similar rattles on both sides but both have resolved with time and after adjusting the seatbelt height, multiple times without effect. Next time I will consider a version of your method.

Reactions: TesSpartan
I put felt tape on a ton of surfaces between the seat belt adjuster and B pillar trim before it finally killed my rattle. Not sure exactly which area it was coming from...took the scorched earth approach.

Fun part about this car....kill the rattles, quiet for a little while, then they come back. It's like playing whack-a-mole. I've "fixed" the seat belt adjuster rattle 3 or 4 times now. For how long this time....nobody knows...

I've also "fixed" a passenger speaker rattle several times, it's back. And now my driver speaker rattles when the window is down. Ugh.

Here's my funny rattle story.

Before getting our M3 we had a Nissan Leaf. There was an annoying rattle that I could never locate. I'd let my wife drive, and I'd crawl around, listening, trying to find the source. Never could. I lived with the rattle for three years.

So, when we got the M3, I said, "It will be so nice to be rid of that rattle!"

First drive in the M3, and the same rattle was there!

It turned out, the rattle was in the garage door opener button on the visor. A piece of tape fixed it.

I was once at a Lexus dealer where someone was yelling at the service manager saying how could such an expensive luxury car make such horrible clanking noises when cornering.
Then a service tech comes up next to them and said "I found this Perrier bottle under the driver's seat that would roll back and forth and hit the seat rails."
I never saw a red face change from anger to embarrassment so quickly!

I have a couple rattles coming from the trunk that I still can’t figure out. Have mobile service coming out next week but since they can’t go along for a ride, I’m not even sure it’s worth the time since tesla says they’ll charge a diagnostics fee.

Tech went with me on ride along to diagnose a rattle 2-ish weeks ago. We were both masked up, windows vented/AC on fresh. ...bout as good as one can do in the circumstance.

They fixed one intermittent rattle I have, out of two. (other did not show itself, but was documented at least) Had an S loaner for several days, no part in stock. Had to replace the door card. First good service experience I’ve had. I mean, I still dislike the app/temp number text-based service model in general, and they wrongly made me pay for AC de-stink caused by Tesla’s poor design/engineering, but paying for Tesla’s mess up wasn’t unexpected.

Thought I had a rattle develop tonight on the way home. Every time regeneration kicked in on the freeway, I heard this light banging sound that sounded like something was loose on the passenger side of the car. Kept speeding up and slowing down to try to reproduce it.

Turned out it was the belt from the girlfriend's coat that she'd closed in the door, slapping against the outside of the car.

I have a rattle coming from my rear passenger side. I had it fixed almost a year ago, invoice said that they had to re-secure the "emergency latch". Now, that rattle is back, and the SC wants to charge me to fix it. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue so I can try to fix it myself.

I have a rattle coming from my rear passenger side. I had it fixed almost a year ago, invoice said that they had to re-secure the "emergency latch". Now, that rattle is back, and the SC wants to charge me to fix it. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue so I can try to fix it myself.
Same issue. I honestly have a list of 15 things that I’ve tried that haven’t worked. Just took it to the service center and they spent 4 hours of “goodwill” time trying to identify the source and failed.

Same issue. I honestly have a list of 15 things that I’ve tried that haven’t worked. Just took it to the service center and they spent 4 hours of “goodwill” time trying to identify the source and failed.
did they not find anything? when my car was sound deadened while still stripped, it was fairly rattle free in the back. but noticed after re-installing my rear trunk lid cover, some rattling re-appeared when going over bumps. i broke some clips while removing the cover and am using some generics that may be slightly too short. when i hit the cover it definitely bumps the trunk lid and isn't flush. give your cover a few taps, and see if it's secure.

Another rattling I found lately is from the center console, I believe the sound is from the gears of the covers (phone charging one and the one in front of the cup holders). It is like plastic flaps bouncing inside, if you bang the side of the foot well, you can easily hear it. It comes out at low speed and bumpy roads.

did they not find anything? when my car was sound deadened while still stripped, it was fairly rattle free in the back. but noticed after re-installing my rear trunk lid cover, some rattling re-appeared when going over bumps. i broke some clips while removing the cover and am using some generics that may be slightly too short. when i hit the cover it definitely bumps the trunk lid and isn't flush. give your cover a few taps, and see if it's secure.
No, they didn't find anything. I sound deadened the trunk lid cover and I hear the same amount of noise whether my rear seats are up or folded down so I do not think the source of noise is coming from the trunk. This is why I still think it may be something related to the rear deck.

have you tried driving the car with the rear deck removed?
No because I wasn’t able to fully remove it on my first attempt. However, I’ve driven without the rear seats, side bolsters, trunk lid cover, c pillar and the entire trunk trim so by process of elimination I think it has to be the rear deck if the rattle/buzz is coming from inside the cabin like it sounds like it is.

I also tightened the license plate frame, checked both rear wheel wells, and tightened aero shields underneath to try to eliminate exterior noise that may be reverberating inside.

Reactions: aspec818
I put felt tape on a ton of surfaces between the seat belt adjuster and B pillar trim before it finally killed my rattle. Not sure exactly which area it was coming from...took the scorched earth approach.

Fun part about this car....kill the rattles, quiet for a little while, then they come back. It's like playing whack-a-mole. I've "fixed" the seat belt adjuster rattle 3 or 4 times now. For how long this time....nobody knows...

I've also "fixed" a passenger speaker rattle several times, it's back. And now my driver speaker rattles when the window is down. Ugh.
Good strategy! My passenger side dash and/or door speaker rattles like the dickens on my one mile ride out of my neighborhood on what I call purposely rough asphalt streets. Then, on regular concrete or asphalt, it does not rattle. My wife says to ignore it, but it bugs the crap out of me. What did you do to your speaker to get rid of the rattle?