Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I really want to love the aeros, I just can't.

Which is the look for you?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The really fun thing about the Model 3 is how much greater efficiency it has over the Model S. I've turned into one of those geeks driving for ultimate efficiency. This being yet another reason I like to keep my Aero's mounted on the car.
This is tied for the top two or three reasons we are likely to get a 3 and sell our S. It continuously bothers both me and my wife how much more energy the S takes than our Leaf. And the 3 beats the Leaf by quite a margin!

Reactions: suwaneedad and gene
can someone photoshop the aero wheels if they were all silver (like the 19")? i did see one before but it was a funny mix of silver and grey/black (or whatever color it is).

@insaneoctane was kind enough to do it here: Pictures of Model 3s with 18" wheels without aero covers - reposting.

m3_red_chrome.jpg

This might be too "chromy" than the actual look I'd be going for, if possible.

So now you guys have me obsessing over what wheels I will get. We had our car into OC Detailing today and they had 5 Model 3s there. Of course I went out to look at the wheels. Here's the 3 cars that were next to each other. 2 with 18s (aeros on, aeros off--being readied for film so no lugnut caps etc) and one with the 19s. Practical husband says go with the 18s and keep the covers on but I love the look of our MS with the 19 slipstreams and for the moment still leaning that way.

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6044.JPG

Last edited:
I noticed the 18s are Michelins where as the 19s are Continentals. I'm pretty pleased with the ride we get in our MS with our 19-in slipsteam wheels which I believe also have Continentals on them. Should I expect the 19s on the Model 3 to give the same ride? Are they the same 19-inch tire on both cars?

Last edited:
T sportline recently added 18" with silver or other colors as a option:

Tsportline_18_silver.jpg

If the difference between 18" base with and without aero caps is only around 4%, I'm hoping these Tsportline 18" silver wheels could be comparable in efficiency to the 18" base wheels without the aero caps. I don't like dark wheels, so this would be a good option for me if Tesla never offers silver aeros.

Reactions: DR61
It's not 310 miles though. It's 310 miles if you're driving alone in warm temperature at moderate highway speed I think.

When you're driving in winter, through mountains, with 4 people and skiing equipment and like to speed up from time to time, I believe the range will hurt much. That's what I do every winter and that's why I want as much range as possible to feel most comfortable.

Reactions: suwaneedad
After market wheels for me for sure, the choices out there are endless and should be growing by the time most people have their vehicles, I do think Tesla should invest more in their wheel design or at least get a 3rd party to design for them, how many choices does BMW have for their 3 series, I did a quick count and they have at least 12 different options here in SA to choose from.

Last edited:
I’m doing Aeros at delivery (happening Thursday, can’t wait!), I already ordered the center caps and lugnut covers through tesla.

The caps / covers were on backorder but will supposedly be in today so I can have them put in at delivery.

I would have upgraded the wheels but the 19”s are my least favorite style.

I fully plan on getting a set of the grey turbine-like 20”s that were on the alphas when / if they are available.

My suspicion is these will be on the ludicrous mode only as a way to distinguish this car that will be everywhere. To me they blow away all other iterations of the model 3 wheels.

I’m hoping there will be an aftermarket way to get my hands on them. In any case, only oem for me.

Reactions: suwaneedad
Here’s my short but sweet story.
I think the aero caps are just fluff. I like my 19’s so much. Every time I see a 3 with Aeros I want to go hug my wheels and say to them,”I’m sorry I ever wanted to get Aeros” and so I plasti dipped them to enhance the look even more. If you like the Aeros go for it. 4% range loss doesn’t bother me. If I have to spend $5 more on supercharging here’s my 5 dollars. I may get them for ski trips though. If money didn’t matter I’d get a nice wide set of HRE’s. I hate myself.

Attachments

• 4687A6C7-83C0-4F3E-9617-13374500AA0E.jpeg
    4687A6C7-83C0-4F3E-9617-13374500AA0E.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Cnasty