Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I remember when...my 3 would open without me having to open the app on my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to iOS 13 on my iPhone and it seems to be working again. Methinks the problem was not the car but the phone.

PEBKAC? ( problem exists between keyboard and chair ).
PEBKAC.jpg

no.

PEBUAC. ( problem exists between user and cellphone ).

just kidding. geesh - lighten up folks.

The app has nothing to do with unlocking the car. It's the saved Bluetooth connection (managed by the phone OS, not the app) that unlocks the car.

By that logic, you would be able to set up the phone key, then uninstall the app and have the OS-managed Bluetooth connection still work to unlock the car. Please feel free to try this on your side and let us know if it works for you. (Pro Tip: It won't. You can get the same failure by force-closing the app.)

Anything that closes, stops, o sleeps the app will prevent it from working as a key very well. Apple realized that their batteries suck (No space in that skinny li'l thing for battery!) so will try to sleep and suspend apps more often, or kill them more often to think it's saving battery. "Battery Helper/Saver" apps on all platforms will also force-kill (darn sith) background apps.

The overall best answer for people is to stop using inferior Apple phones. But in all cases, make sure that neither the phone or any other app is sleeping, killing, or suspending the Tesla app when it's in the background. On Android, for example, most people will have the Tesla Notification Icon present when the app is active. If it's not there, you'll need to open the app. In general, figure out why the app ended up being closed and correct that.

By that logic, you would be able to set up the phone key, then uninstall the app and have the OS-managed Bluetooth connection still work to unlock the car. Please feel free to try this on your side and let us know if it works for you. (Pro Tip: It won't. You can get the same failure by force-closing the app.)

Anything that closes, stops, o sleeps the app will prevent it from working as a key very well. Apple realized that their batteries suck (No space in that skinny li'l thing for battery!) so will try to sleep and suspend apps more often, or kill them more often to think it's saving battery. "Battery Helper/Saver" apps on all platforms will also force-kill (darn sith) background apps.

The overall best answer for people is to stop using inferior Apple phones. But in all cases, make sure that neither the phone or any other app is sleeping, killing, or suspending the Tesla app when it's in the background. On Android, for example, most people will have the Tesla Notification Icon present when the app is active. If it's not there, you'll need to open the app. In general, figure out why the app ended up being closed and correct that.

I meant that the app doesn’t need to be actively running for the phone to be used as a key. I should have been a little clearer. I rarely open my Tesla app and it’s usually 25 or so apps back and never have an issue with phone key.

Please don’t turn this into an Apple v Android debate.

.... I used to walk out to my M3, flip the door handle - door would disengage - get in, put foot on brake, select forward/reverse and then I was off to my destination.

But - for over two months - 95% of the time, no door handle response!! I have to pull out my iPhone, select my wife's MS, wait for it to connect, then go back to select my M3 (wait for it to connect), just to get the door handle to respond.

Hopefully this is unique to those of us with 2 Tesla's on the App. I would hate to imagine what a single Tesla on the App needs to get into the car.
I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been suggested.

Try this:

Go to Settings->Tesla. Then make sure that: "Location" is set to "always", "Bluetooth Sharing" is set to on, "Background App Refresh" is set to on, and "Cellular Data" is set to on.

Using those settings, I never have a problem with any of our iPhones working immediately with the car.

Reactions: SJC3
I'll have to double check my phone when I get out of work.. But I had an iPhone X and about 90% of the time it never unlocked for me. (Only thing I did not check was "Background App Refresh"). I just recently upgraded to the iPhone 11 pro and I'm still having the issue.

I'll double check that settings and report back.

that sounds about right. The min I tap on the iphone’s screen, it unlocks the car. Even though I don’t even go to the home screen, just waking up the display is enough to unlock the car.
I think you are right, that Apple puts the Bluetooth or apps on standby to preserve battery. This is with the latest iPhone and latest updates and it’s been going on for several months

that sounds about right. The min I tap on the iphone’s screen, it unlocks the car. Even though I don’t even go to the home screen, just waking up the display is enough to unlock the car.
I think you are right, that Apple puts the Bluetooth or apps on standby to preserve battery. This is with the latest iPhone and latest updates and it’s been going on for several months
except that.... it works 100% of the time, every time for me. I always update my phone to the latest release the day it comes out (and that's the only time I ever restart my phone) - I even have been running the public betas of iOS 13. I don't force-quit apps - just use the phone - let the OS do its thing. I _never_ launch the Tesla app except when I get the push notification that a software update is available for the car. When going to my car, I never take my phone out of my pocket, I just walk up the the car pull the handle and the door opens. Every. Time. Worked with my iPhone XS since Jan when I took delivery, and my brand-spankin-new iPhone 11 Pro since Friday morning.

I think where things get wonky is when settings are changed because of things like not knowing what "background refresh" actually does (I think the vast majority of iPhone users don't actually know how that works - for example it actually does NOT control whether an app can run in the background). Or change the bluetooth settings, force quitting apps, etc.

except that.... it works 100% of the time, every time for me. I always update my phone to the latest release the day it comes out (and that's the only time I ever restart my phone) - I even have been running the public betas of iOS 13. I don't force-quit apps - just use the phone - let the OS do its thing. I _never_ launch the Tesla app except when I get the push notification that a software update is available for the car. When going to my car, I never take my phone out of my pocket, I just walk up the the car pull the handle and the door opens. Every. Time. Worked with my iPhone XS since Jan when I took delivery, and my brand-spankin-new iPhone 11 Pro since Friday morning.

I think where things get wonky is when settings are changed because of things like not knowing what "background refresh" actually does (I think the vast majority of iPhone users don't actually know how that works - for example it actually does NOT control whether an app can run in the background). Or change the bluetooth settings, force quitting apps, etc.

that’s how it was for me until a few months ago. Not sure what the problem is. Even my location setting for Tesla app is on always. I deleted and reinstalled the app snd set up the key again. It’s interesting that some people have this problem and others don’t

that’s how it was for me until a few months ago. Not sure what the problem is. Even my location setting for Tesla app is on always. I deleted and reinstalled the app snd set up the key again. It’s interesting that some people have this problem and others don’t

I have the exact same issue. Brand new iPhone 11 Pro, location settings to always, Bluetooth is on in privacy settings and background app refresh is on.

For me, it’s a hit or miss. Sometimes, it works without any issues. On certain days, I pull on the handle and nothing. I have to tap on my iPhone screen just to wake up the phone then it works right away.

I’ve tried to delete app, delete the phone as a key and the issue persists. I’m curious if any of you have an Apple Watch? I have a feeling that might be the culprit...

I meant that the app doesn’t need to be actively running for the phone to be used as a key. I should have been a little clearer. I rarely open my Tesla app and it’s usually 25 or so apps back and never have an issue with phone key.

Please don’t turn this into an Apple v Android debate.

the app will wake the car up, though.

I had disabled teslafy because it was one of rules of EAP but since i haven’t noticed getting the updates any sooner and i’d rather had my car unlock with the phone i reenabled it and now auto unlock works again..

I have the exact same issue. Brand new iPhone 11 Pro, location settings to always, Bluetooth is on in privacy settings and background app refresh is on.

For me, it’s a hit or miss. Sometimes, it works without any issues. On certain days, I pull on the handle and nothing. I have to tap on my iPhone screen just to wake up the phone then it works right away.

I’ve tried to delete app, delete the phone as a key and the issue persists. I’m curious if any of you have an Apple Watch? I have a feeling that might be the culprit...
No issues with having an AppleWatch and an iPhone X. Works 100% of the time. Never take it out of my pocket. Maybe your case is blocking the signal?

Mine (w/ Android 5) has been hit or miss ever since I got the car in December. One thing I noticed is that it seems to depend on both Internet and Bluetooth communications. It's like it checks credentials with Tesla servers.

Where the WiFi is either very strong or entirely absent, it's best. I guess it can use cellular data. When WiFi is intermittent, that's when things are worst. Maybe cellular connection too. But, yes, I sometimes have to do the entire voodoo with going to airplane mode, then re-enabling WiFi and Bluetooth.

After updates of the car or the phone software it's best to re-pair the Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Had the exact same issue. Either new iOS or new iPhone 11 caused the issue. Only fix was either open/keep the app open all the time or purchase a key fob. I purchased a key fob. My ocd keeps my apps closed and it was too hard to train myself to constantly leave it open.

Reactions: N5329K
You're still on android version 5? I think it may be time to upgrade phones

Upgrade? My Samsung Note 3 works fine. Big HD screen, stylus, quick-open back. Fast access slots for e.g. 64GB memory and SIM card, and most important: removable battery. I travel to different countries. I carry memory cards, spare batteries and I disable snooping by pulling the battery.

Is a locked down phone with a glued in battery, that's chatting 24x7, really an upgrade? You mean for the data collectors?

Last edited: