Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I remember when...my 3 would open without me having to open the app on my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.... I used to walk out to my M3, flip the door handle - door would disengage - get in, put foot on brake, select forward/reverse and then I was off to my destination.

But - for over two months - 95% of the time, no door handle response!! I have to pull out my iPhone, select my wife's MS, wait for it to connect, then go back to select my M3 (wait for it to connect), just to get the door handle to respond.

Hopefully this is unique to those of us with 2 Tesla's on the App. I would hate to imagine what a single Tesla on the App needs to get into the car.

Mine opens just fine with my Samsung S5. Have you rebooted your phone, turned it totally off and then on. Is blue tooth on? Also, try removing the phone from the car and re-establishing it.

The phone-as-key function worked perfectly after getting my 3P+ back on July 22 (ancient iPhone 6). The car updated to a new build a few weeks ago and it started failing randomly. Very frustrating! After the car updated to 2019.32.2.1 it's working perfectly again .. at least, so far.

Thanks for the reply.
So, when I walk up to the car the door unlocks, but as soon as I hit the brake I get the prompt to place the keycard on the console - every time. So I just adapted to using the keycard to prevent having to fish my wallet out and put the card on the console... so the extra step I had was to pull out the keycard after I had buckled up.

The person icon in "locks" seems to be grayed out, there is no response at all to me tapping it.
So I'm stuck wondering why I am constantly prompted to place the keycard... o_O
I would remove the phone as a key and re add. You should be able to walk up to your car, open the door, get in, and drive - all without touch your phone or removing it from your pocket. Been 8 months for me and has worked every time. iPhone XS.

Reactions: Tron 3
I have a Google Pixel 2 XL With my phone in pocket, my M 3 will not unlock itself as I walk up.

If I have not recently used the phone, I need to pull it out and touch the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone... which immediately unlocks the car.

So, my car is effectively fingerprint-operated... and this is fine, because I always put the phone in the dock as I sit down in the car.

You need to have the app on. I don't worry about this stuff anymore. I have a key fob! Reach into pocket, two presses and door is unlocked every time.

The app has nothing to do with the phone serving as a key.

In settings, scroll down to the Tesla app, and you can choose your location settings.

Also not required, and not advised unless you like your phone battery drained faster. No issues here with it set to “while using.”

Reactions: MentalNomad
It may be worth mentioning that the app will not walk-up unlock unless it's running in the background on Android, and likely on iOS too. I recall from Apple peeps that iOS makes it much easier to fully close an app (even by accident), so that could be contributing.

.... I used to walk out to my M3, flip the door handle - door would disengage - get in, put foot on brake, select forward/reverse and then I was off to my destination.

But - for over two months - 95% of the time, no door handle response!! I have to pull out my iPhone, select my wife's MS, wait for it to connect, then go back to select my M3 (wait for it to connect), just to get the door handle to respond.

Hopefully this is unique to those of us with 2 Tesla's on the App. I would hate to imagine what a single Tesla on the App needs to get into the car.
maybe try resetting your phone, reinstalling the app etc. Also reset the car.. shouldnt be happening.

It may be worth mentioning that the app will not walk-up unlock unless it's running in the background on Android, and likely on iOS too. I recall from Apple peeps that iOS makes it much easier to fully close an app (even by accident), so that could be contributing.

The app has nothing to do with unlocking the car. It's the saved Bluetooth connection (managed by the phone OS, not the app) that unlocks the car.

I have a pixel 2 and it works prob 80% of the time. It's annoying 20% but I can live with it. I'm more annoyed less than 50% of the time my phone connects to the car for Bluetooth audio. I have to hit the Bluetooth icon and select my phone. It's not all the time...but I feel like it's getting more frequent