Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I'm going to turn OFF cabin overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why have it on? No other cars on the road have this feature. I feel like it's a water of energy..

You don’t need to have it on, but it’s a cool feature to have. An ICE couldn’t really do this since the 12 volt battery would run down, leaving the car dead and in need of a jump in fairly short order since it couldn’t really safely start the engine and generate fumes to recharge the 12 Volt. Don’t like it, then turn it off. Seems like it would be a nice option to have for those who want it, though.

I'd like to echo the suggestion of some others above, that it would be really nice to be able to set it to whatever temperature we like. If I'm just leaving the car for an hour and I'm in town where I don't care about range because I've got plenty of range, I'd like to have the car stay at perhaps 80° F. I loved the Taylor mesh top on the Roadster because there was some measure of security but it was still completely open to air flow and was never hot when I got back in it.

>My commute is 3 miles each day. After 8 days I went from 90% to 20% charge. This stuff adds up.

My commute is less about 3 miles also, in Texas. I park outside at work, in shade for part of the day only. I have COHP on. in the 14 straight days I worked recently my charge went from 80% to about 70%.

What the heck.. service center is adamant that nothing can be done but you situation is identical to mine...

Do you garage it at home? Ive been leaving it outside because my garage is so cluttered.

Agreed!
I wish there were an option to only kick in at more extreme temps, i.e. to prevent damage. In coastal CA we rarely have days above the mid 80s, and I really don’t want an efficiency / electricity usage hit to keep the car at 105 all day.

Maybe an option to start at higher temperatures, say 115 or 125 would strike a better balance of energy usage and keeping the car in good shape.

Could the efficiency of this be improved by very slightly cracking the windows open while the car is trying to cool the cabin? If the car had a sun roof, setting it in "vent mode" would really help let the warm air escape from the car...

I'd like to echo the suggestion of some others above, that it would be really nice to be able to set it to whatever temperature we like. If I'm just leaving the car for an hour and I'm in town where I don't care about range because I've got plenty of range, I'd like to have the car stay at perhaps 80° F. I loved the Taylor mesh top on the Roadster because there was some measure of security but it was still completely open to air flow and was never hot when I got back in it.
Use a sunshield facing the sun, and crack open the windows for ventilation.

Works great

Yesterday and today the temperature in the Boston area was in the mid to upper 90's. Very unusual so I decided to enable the feature when the inside temperature was 142 degrees and rising.
Selected to use the option without AC and once enabled the temperature ranged from 109 to 116 degrees which I thought was reasonable. Lost 1-2 miles of range per hour.

I wish there were an option to only kick in at more extreme temps, i.e. to prevent damage.

The car better be able to sustain temps above baking in the sun. Otherwise why is there extreme desert testing of cars. Every car has been able to survive in extreme heat and extreme cold. Tesla’s better be able to too. And not rely on AC to keep electronics from being fried.

Reactions: untilcomplete
It's not just the display, there is a computer in the car too. Most car don't have a full blown computer inside I think. My wife has left her iPhone 8 in outside in the back yard a few times and it won't turn on after a few hour outdoor in the heat. It said it is too hot to turn it on so it won't turn on until it is cool down. I have fried 1 Android phone because I left it in the car for a day.
Where’s th computer located? Will it even be chilled by the AC?

Every new car now carries a computer. No one else relies on the AC to keep their computer alive.