Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think my AP needs a pair of sunglasses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The suns glare on my morning commute (280 south / 85 south) over the past two days has rendered AP useless.

Here's a photo of the conditions. You'll see on the dash that AP sees no lane markings and AP is unavailable. If my cell phone camera can see the lane markings I don't understand why the AP monochrome camera can't see them.

IMG_20161201_083713_opt.jpg

Does anyone else have similar experience?

The suns glare on my morning commute (280 south / 85 south) over the past two days has rendered AP useless.

Here's a photo of the conditions. You'll see on the dash that AP sees no lane markings and AP is unavailable. If my cell phone camera can see the lane markings I don't understand why the AP monochrome camera can't see them.

View attachment 204250

Does anyone else have similar experience?

I wonder if you put a polarized lens in front of the camera it would help/work? I AM NOT RECOMMENDING YOU ACTUALLY RISK BY DOING SO, :eek: but I bet it would reduce the glare and provide enough contrast for AP to work again. :cool:

M

I wonder if you put a polarized lens in front of the camera it would help/work? I AM NOT RECOMMENDING YOU ACTUALLY RISK BY DOING SO, :eek: but I bet it would reduce the glare and provide enough contrast for AP to work again. :cool:

M

Haha! I had the same thought but I think polarizers only cut out light that has bounced.

We need a sun visor for the windshield . :D

18746_237853.jpg

Update:

This morning, AP was rock f'in solid. Like, it was the best it'd ever been o_O.

The glare from the sun was just as intense, but AP was enabled for 99% of my freeway time. It also was showing line markings of adjacent lanes when the road looked like glass to me.

Hypotheses
  • My fleet learning data was stale (or MIA) and I had a download last-night
  • Dew levels this morning were practically zero. Had the camera been suffering from internal fogging?
  • It was colder yesterday. Maybe ice crystals in the atmosphere changed the dynamics of the suns glare.

I would like to know why AP is awesome some days but is awful on other days.

Here's a photo from this morning. (Yes I was going at similar speeds to yesterday)

IMG_20161202_081334_opt.jpg

Since 8.0 my autopilot detects lines a lot less and loses it a lot more.

Was driving yesterday on the freeway around 2 pm headed east, the autopilot never saw the lines, besides for a few seconds here and there, for our 30 mi it's drive. The yellow line on the edge of the road was clearly visible.

Now, often when on autopilot, it loses the lane makinf the car swerve back and forth as it intermittently loses then regains the lines. It's bad enough where now I can't use it with my wife in the car because it's making her sick. Prior to 8.0, this wasn't an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: number12
Update:

This morning, AP was rock f'in solid. Like, it was the best it'd ever been o_O.

The glare from the sun was just as intense, but AP was enabled for 99% of my freeway time. It also was showing line markings of adjacent lanes when the road looked like glass to me.

Hypotheses
  • My fleet learning data was stale (or MIA) and I had a download last-night
  • Dew levels this morning were practically zero. Had the camera been suffering from internal fogging?
  • It was colder yesterday. Maybe ice crystals in the atmosphere changed the dynamics of the suns glare.

I would like to know why AP is awesome some days but is awful on other days.

Here's a photo from this morning. (Yes I was going at similar speeds to yesterday)

View attachment 204368
8.0? How was 7.1?

8.0? How was 7.1?

I've been running v8 since its release week. I never had big issues with v7.1. I think v8 AP can be really good, more solid than v7.1 in recent weeks, but there is something that keeps dragging it down on occasion.

I drive i280 which is the nearest freeway to Tesla HQ - it's the freeway you see in the latest AP2 videos. It's a very dynamic freeway that puts AP to the test. So differences in stability really stand out.

It could be that Tesla keeps tuning their machine learning algos and so has to flush all prior data. They are essentially running experiments infield to fine-tune the new AP platform. This is all speculation since Tesla doesn't comment on this stuff. But I think that when v8 AP has no machine learning data or it's somehow corrupted, then it falls back to "basic mode" with serpentine and lane jumping behavior.

I really wish Tesla would comment on the inconstancies.

I was parked facing the sun couple of weeks ago and my AP1 camera failed completely after few minutes of just parking - got a message that AP is not longer available. Rebooting the big screen, and the cluster, didn't help. I know it was the mobileeye cam because my ultrasound sensors showed readings, but no read speed limit signs or lanes during driving. The next day however it was all back to normal, so didn't bother the SC with it.

PS) unless you have AP2.0 you don't need a pair of sunglasses, just a monacle. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I wonder if the camera gets overwhelmed by the sun and triggers a "self protect" reset response that flushes all the fleet learning data.

My AP took another massive dive this morning. It was unavailable for 95% of my freeway commute. If I slowed to about 35-40mph then maybe it would start to see lanes, but that's not workable on the freeway. I remembered to do "report an issue". Maybe the mothership is listening, although I don't know how they infer the context of the issue.

The conditions were cold and there was dew. But I can't imagine the camera was fogged up :/.

I wonder if the camera gets overwhelmed by the sun and triggers a "self protect" reset response that flushes all the fleet learning data.

My AP took another massive dive this morning. It was unavailable for 95% of my freeway commute. If I slowed to about 35-40mph then maybe it would start to see lanes, but that's not workable on the freeway. I remembered to do "report an issue". Maybe the mothership is listening, although I don't know how they infer the context of the issue.

The conditions were cold and there was dew. But I can't imagine the camera was fogged up :/.

I was on 280S between 09:00 and 10:00 with similar symptoms. I suspect it has something to do with sun angle: lately it seems to do better on cloudy days and worse on sunny days, and I've yet to have problems at night. I'm pretty sure it wasn't condensation because I've experienced that and it burns off quickly. I also ran my wipers twice, to no avail.

But the main reason I replied was to say that Tesla rarely, if ever, pulls individual vehicle data unless you ask them to. If you haven't already done so, contact service and asked them to pull the logs for the time of day when you were having trouble. I did that this morning after I parked, providing as much detail as possible. I had an email acknowledgement within an hour. I may never get a proper technical response, but at least I know they know about it.