Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I took my friend for a ride and his Neighbor asked "why on earth did he buy a Tesla"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it’s all the clever technology, and electric. I’m a computer geek and I devour any info, apps, etc that I can get. I’m also a private pilot and actually think it’s fun to plan long trips where charging must be considered, just like a plane where you plan fuel stops.
Electric now seems so sensible. I hate having to drive my beemer X5. Feels like a Stone Age car.

While I still like the rumbling sound of a performance car's engine, when I look at the car, I find myself staring at the hood and thinking, "Plugs, valves, filters, pumps, tubes, lifters, springs, etc, etc." I just see all the parts that I have been changing on ICE cars for the past half century. They really are like Rube Goldberg machines compared to my MS. But when asked why, I usually tell them that after 50 years of concept cars, someone finally made one that I can own.

Reactions: Xenius
For me it’s all the clever technology, and electric. I’m a computer geek and I devour any info, apps, etc that I can get. I’m also a private pilot and actually think it’s fun to plan long trips where charging must be considered, just like a plane where you plan fuel stops.
Electric now seems so sensible. I hate having to drive my beemer X5. Feels like a Stone Age car.

Yep. Dropped into my BMW dealer, who’s been trying to sell me a third X5. Looked around the showroom, asked, “Why does everything apart from the i3 still burn dinosaurs?”, and walked out. And this from someone who’s owned BMW continuously for 22 years.

I was attracted to Tesla due to the following factors (in order of importance):
1. I have a tech background and I've been really intrigued with all the tech that Tesla brings.
2. Its combination of performance, handling and safety.
3. Its range for an EV is large enough and one that I'm comfortable with.

With all that said, it still had to make financial sense to me. I was in the market for a new car in the range of $60K-$90K. In that range, the other options I considered were a few of the popular ICE-based German brands. When I did the NPV analysis inspired by this blog, the S75D came out with the lowest NPV for both a 5 and 8 year period (the two likely scenarios for how long I'll keep the car). That sealed the deal for me.

I like your analysis. I'm an engineer and long-time car guy. I had purchased a PHEV for my wife a few years earlier and liked not having to gas up but every couple of months and using very little at that.

When I decided to replace my small SUV, I wanted at least a PHEV, but none had supported towing capacity (and I didn't want to void the warranty). I found the Model X and the more I investigated, the better it sounded as the replacement.

I have not regretted that decision and expect to replace the wife's PHEV with a Model 3 later this year.

Ordered model s85d and took delivery October 2015. Ordered based on Tesla philosophy and engineering attitude. Never even saw a Tesla until I took delivery. Read the manual beforehand. Collected car and drove into city centre traffic at Noon on a working day. Inside 200 metres felt totally at ease and drove 180 miles home. Surely the anti-Tesla opinions can only come from non-owners. Car is a magic carpet, combining the best of automotive and computer engineering. All I need now is to add a Tesla replacement for my Mercedes SL so I get the clever roof to enjoy suitable weather.

Reactions: E-GAL and henderrj
Often cars are purchased for emotional reasons (the ads convince you it is desirable, etc.), not logical ones. You can't discuss purchasing decisions with someone who uses emotion to buy/not buy a Tesla.

Why wouldn't anyone buy the safest, most American, greenest, highest rated Consumer Reports, Car and Driver car of the century, lowest lifetime operating cost, most comfortable, quietest, sexiest car made?

Why do ALL other brands need massive advertising campaigns to get you to buy them?

Reactions: arcus
We started in the EV movement with an ICE that had been converted, probably about 7 or 8 years ago.

In Sept 2013 we got a Nissan Leaf SL. We LOVED that car and drove it 50,000 miles in 3.5 years. Both my wife's ex-husband and her oldest son (now over 30 yo) are big time car guys. The ex bought a Ford GT while they were still married. Her son also has his own "Show Car" that he uses his Dodge 3500 pulling a 28' trailer to take to various car shows. He also has a third car for daily driving. We had planned to keep the Leaf as our local driver, but two weeks after getting the Tesla my wife was rear-ended by a Ford F-150. It was still driveable, but the other insurance company decided to total it. In 50,000 miles we paid ZERO for maintenance on the Leaf, including having the original tires when it was totaled. Now we are waiting on our Model 3, online order Sept 2016, delivery estimator still shows Nov 17 - Jan 18.

Both of them gave me a had time about the EV conversion that I have, as well as when we got the Leaf. Over time the negative comments and jokes about the Leaf became less, and after a couple of years they both started appreciating it. Her son, who still lives at home (why not with free room and board), even started to ask to use the Leaf for all his local driving if it was home and parked in the garage. He is no dummy, why pay for gas and maintenance if he can drive mom's car for free. Anyway, the more her son drove the Leaf the more he liked EV's.

Last May when we got the Tesla S 75D both of them can not say enough good things about it. Her EX now wants a Tesla. He is thinking of selling his Ford GT to purchase the new Roadster when it becomes available. Her son uses the Tesla every change he gets (no gas or maintenance on his car). I get the feeling that her son will get his own Tesla if it gets to the point that he can not use ours enough, or finally moves out to get his own place.

All it took was time for these car guys to be converted to EV guys.

This might be one of the only opportunities I get in my lifetime to be on the forefront of a major future technology - an environmentally aware computer the drives, vs a redesigned automobile with electronic upgrades. This might be the only chance to support a new transportation company, started and anchoring in the US, that can succeed against ridiculous odds and political headwinds that have caused others to fail.

OK, lets get to the real reason - because the Tesla S is the most fun I have ever consistently had driving a vehicle that was practical and cost efficient without being sedate. Drive it --> Buy it --> Love it :)

I'm from Oz. My neighbour is delaying replacing his Audi to get a Tesla Model 3.
Some background. Australia has the highest per capita roof top solar and the world's largest battery - Tesla of course. BUT we are the LOWEST per capita developed country for EVs. WHY? There is almost no government support for EVs.
My neighbour's interested because he's impressed by the 21st Century credentials of the Model 3. Lined up against his Audi (he normally replaces when warranty concludes) he likes the performance, the over-the-air updates and nightly refuelling from his roof-top solar. I'm just a reservationist - delivery some time in 2019 - and neither he nor I have owned an EV because until now their range was impractical and/or they were unaffordable.
Like me he's extremely concerned that, without action, we will leave our grand-children a bitter heritage of global climate devastation for which future generations will hold our generation responsible - both individually and collectively.
It's ironic that as the US east coast battles massive snow storms authorities here have issued catastrophic level fire warnings. Both events, of course reflecting the ever increasing levels of energy in the global climate system.
Ughh - nightly refueling from solar? is that not the definition of Night - no solar?

I'm from Oz. My neighbour is delaying replacing his Audi to get a Tesla Model 3.
Some background. Australia has the highest per capita roof top solar and the world's largest battery - Tesla of course. BUT we are the LOWEST per capita developed country for EVs. WHY? There is almost no government support for EVs.
My neighbour's interested because he's impressed by the 21st Century credentials of the Model 3. Lined up against his Audi (he normally replaces when warranty concludes) he likes the performance, the over-the-air updates and nightly refuelling from his roof-top solar. I'm just a reservationist - delivery some time in 2019 - and neither he nor I have owned an EV because until now their range was impractical and/or they were unaffordable.
Like me he's extremely concerned that, without action, we will leave our grand-children a bitter heritage of global climate devastation for which future generations will hold our generation responsible - both individually and collectively.
It's ironic that as the US east coast battles massive snow storms authorities here have issued catastrophic level fire warnings. Both events, of course reflecting the ever increasing levels of energy in the global climate system.
So good to others that understand the significance of what we face and that it is all about more energy in the system