Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I took my friend for a ride and his Neighbor asked "why on earth did he buy a Tesla"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Unpilot

Sell order in at $5999.99
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2017
A Coast
Why did I buy a Tesla?

From a cold financial analysis there is no way I could justify buying a Tesla.

however I think helping a technology move forward that is important and necessary is a good thing to do. The green tech that Tesla is pushing forward is something I truly believe in.

Of course there are other ways to be "green" but this is one way I choose to do so.
I know that about half the electric energy in Illinois is supplied by coal so an electric car is not as clean as it could be however the grid will continue to receive more and more of its supply from renewable sources and a normal car will never get cleaner....the Tesla will.

The safety features of the car cannot be overstated. And as new software is pushed to the car it will get safer. I drive many late nights when I return from work and the current state of driver assistance is amazing for these drives.

Coming from a "car guy" background the acceleration and handling is amazing!

but ultimately I believe life is about experiences and the Tesla is a hell of an experience.

Why did I buy a Tesla?

however I think helping a technology move forward that is important and necessary is a good thing to do. The green tech that Tesla is pushing forward is something I truly believe in.

Of course there are other ways to be "green" but this is one way I choose to do so.
I know that about half the electric energy in Illinois is supplied by coal so an electric car is not as clean as it could be however the grid will continue to receive more and more of its supply from renewable sources and a normal car will never get cleaner....the Tesla will.

The safety features of the car cannot be overstated. And as new software is pushed to the car it will get safer. I drive many late nights when I return from work and the current state of driver assistance is amazing for these drives.

but ultimately I believe life is about experiences and the Tesla is a hell of an experience.

If you are in the market for a luxury sedan like I was in 2014 you can pay 60-80K for an Audi S7 or BMW 7 or Mercedes or you can buy an S85 for 86K minus the $7500 tax credit like I did. Subtract the gas cost (was running $3.50/gal at the time), oil, various repairs and if you plan to keep the Tesla for 8+ years it is a comparable financial decision. I basically justified it as a two car purchase (instead of buying a new car every 4 years) if I keep it for > 8 years and the cost of repairs is not excessive.

So far it is working in my favor and I think it will continue to be a good decision financial, environmentally, and for life experience and just plan fun!

I try to keep my cars at least 10 years (current pack are 18, 11 and 3 years old).

Even if you only plan to keep a car 4 years, there's going to be a whole load of EV's on the road in 4 years.
If you are buying (not leasing) and planning on >4 years, you really want to be buying electric IMHO.

Then again - "it's so much fun" is a good answer too ;)

I can't even stand the smell of exhaust anymore. Once I got a Tesla the whole fume belching ICE thing seemed ridiculous. Imagine how much cleaner city air would be if all those thousands of cars were EVs. And since Tesla is the only game in town when it comes to long range EVs, it's my car. Oh, and there's the part about Tesla taking a shuttered car plant and turning it into 20,000 well paying jobs. When you think about it, it's downright unpatriotic to buy anything else. That's why. :D

Why did I buy a Tesla?

Solar on il is not terrible. Lots of good incentives. Net metering and a program call srec where utilities have to pay you to consume solar. Between fed, srec and net metering, you can pay for over half the setup. The other half can be financed for 10 years with a cheaper total cost the your original electric bill. Rates are already pretty good in il, but with solar it's about half the price.

Reactions: gavine and KidDoc
Solar on il is not terrible. Lots of good incentives. Net metering and a program call srec where utilities have to pay you to consume solar. Between fed, srec and net metering, you can pay for over half the setup. The other half can be financed for 10 years with a cheaper total cost the your original electric bill. Rates are already pretty good in il, but with solar it's about half the price.

Yeah if I was to stay in present house for more that three years I would go full Tesla and get solar and a powerwall.
But I only plan on staying another 3 years.

The electricity from coal argument is suspect. Coal generation plants are usually located far away from urban areas where citizens breath the exhaust. ICE vehicles pump the fumes right into the heart of the congested areas. People breath this concentrated pollution in and get sick more and die earlier.

Better to have no pollution at all, but locating it far from the populated areas is better than having it in the city center.

Two reasons:

The perk of being able to use HOV lanes;
Performance.

Couldn't care less about the purported environmental issues or the cult of Musk. When you have a nasty Bay Area commute, anything that helps to shorten the time on the road is something with a lot of value. We could have bought a Focus or Prius or some other plug in, but I have a thing for fast cars.

The electricity from coal argument is suspect. Coal generation plants are usually located far away from urban areas where citizens breath the exhaust. ICE vehicles pump the fumes right into the heart of the congested areas. People breath this concentrated pollution in and get sick more and die earlier.

Better to have no pollution at all, but locating it far from the populated areas is better than having it in the city center.

I agree however when I am thinking of potential reason one may think opposite what I do...well I like the Iron man idea better than the straw man.
Coal as a fuel for power plants is decreasing renewable's are increasing.
In Illinois the ratio for coal goes down each year.

Reactions: Eeems