Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded in my Model S for a Prius Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the id4. Though it is not better than the high end model s/x, it is less than 1/2 the price after tax credits and the jury is still out there in terms of battery replacement cost for the id4. Tesla we all know is $20K or more as of now with core trade in for a new pack after 8-10 years. Pack repair on the s/x is pretty much not sustainable. It might be cost effective to repair the id4 pack.

Moving on to greener pasture. Fast charging station for the id4 is about what tesla had in 2017 and I survived well then with plenty of road trips since. I suspect electrify america stations are going to be like tesla's now in a few years so no worries there. I also got 3 years free fast charging at those stations.

Four Teslas, no problems. And NO gas, oil changes, filters, pollution, which all gas cars, even HYBRIDS, have. Plus about a dozen times more power than any Prius I've owned (three), and improving range with each iteration. Prii still have to go to the gas station, while I fill mine at the garage outlet overnight for about half the cost of you filling your Prius. Once I drove electric, I knew my Prius days were over. Weak, weak, weak, could hardly wheeze up the hill to my house. And every time there's a hold up on the freeway, rest assured there's a Prius up there blocking traffic.

Even on vacation BEFORE superchargers, we had no problem getting charged at the motel for the morning run and then a lunchtime charge at an RV park for an hour while we ate, but now at home, never a gas station run, fully charged overnight. Try that with your Prius and its tiny battery, 1/10th the size of mine.

Four Teslas, no problems. And NO gas, oil changes, filters, pollution, which all gas cars, even HYBRIDS, have. Plus about a dozen times more power than any Prius I've owned (three), and improving range with each iteration. Prii still have to go to the gas station, while I fill mine at the garage outlet overnight for about half the cost of you filling your Prius. Once I drove electric, I knew my Prius days were over. Weak, weak, weak, could hardly wheeze up the hill to my house. And every time there's a hold up on the freeway, rest assured there's a Prius up there blocking traffic.

Even on vacation BEFORE superchargers, we had no problem getting charged at the motel for the morning run and then a lunchtime charge at an RV park for an hour while we ate, but now at home, never a gas station run, fully charged overnight. Try that with your Prius and its tiny battery, 1/10th the size of mine.
You should still replace your air filters.

Try that with your Prius and its tiny battery, 1/10th the size of mine.
Your whole post is an admirable attempt at green-cred confirmation bias, but if that Prius’s battery can cover 80% of the driving most people do with 10% of the battery, that’s a more environmentally friendly proposition in the majority of situations. Your Tesla is not pollution-free, by a long shot - you just did all your (quite significant) polluting up front.

Your whole post is an admirable attempt at green-cred confirmation bias, but if that Prius’s battery can cover 80% of the driving most people do with 10% of the battery, that’s a more environmentally friendly proposition in the majority of situations. Your Tesla is not pollution-free, by a long shot - you just did all your (quite significant) polluting up front.

Kinda sorta, but I expect Tesla batteries to be recycled with clean energy. In many ways Tesla is a future promise of how things will be better if we invest in them now.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
With our 2017 Prime, I get around 70 mpg on the way home from work, without charging the battery. My commute is 60 miles each way. On the way to work, I'm on electric for 28 miles. It costs less to pay for gas for the Prime compared to a Tesla for electric. That said, I have two Teslas on order. We will be keeping our other gas cars, but Tesla makes the best combination of efficiency and performance available.

Reactions: rjpjnk and ucmndd
Kinda sorta, but I expect Tesla batteries to be recycled with clean energy. In many ways Tesla is a future promise of how things will be better if we invest in them now.
I’m certainly rooting for Redwood Materials and others in this space, and do agree that a current purchase with Tesla is partly to support that vision of the future.

But I also find it preachy, disingenuous, and smug to outright dismiss PHEVs as a fantastic, clean transitional option while patting ourselves on the back for saving the planet one $100,000 luxury automobile at a time. This rich white California liberal mindset is a bad facade and does no good when it comes to promoting actual mass adoption of clean energy.

Last edited:
I’m certainly rooting for Redwood Materials and others in this space, and do agree that a current purchase with Tesla is partly to support that vision of the future.

But I also find it preachy, disingenuous, and smug to outright dismiss PHEVs as a fantastic, clean transitional option while patting ourselves on the back for saving the planet one $100,000 luxury automobile at a time. This rich white California liberal mindset is a bad facade and does no good when it comes to promoting actual mass adoption of clean energy.

Lots of truth here. My journey towards EVs started with a 2nd Generation Chevy Volt that I would absolutely recommend. Great mix of EV range (~53 actual miles electric) and solid gas performance (~40 mpg). My only complaint is that it was a little small for a 5-passenger vehicle.

Toyota is the absolute last brand I would consider buying. Not only are 99% of their cars/suvs similar looking and boring, but they are green washing kings. Every car I drove for a period of about 10 years was either a Toyota or a Lexus. Until Akio Toyoda does an about face, acknowledges his lies re electric vehicles and apologizes Profusely and wears a dunce cap in the corner, we will never consider a toy. Japanese automotive primacy is dogma (the result of other people‘s thinking, those people being from a dofferent time when Japanese cars WERE the bees knees back in the 70s/80s, with the dogma extending into the 90s 00s…..….no longer true!) honestly don’t understand such posts….seems you should have gone to a Toyota forum to share, otherwise it feels disingenuous.
I certainly don't think "greenwashing" applies for the Prius, especially the Prius Prime. If you compare Prius Prime with a 2020 Model S LR+ on fueleconomy.gov, you will see that the total tailpipe emissions are quite comparable. In fact in my ZIP code, they are identical at 180 g/mile (tailpipe + upstream). One could certainly make the case that the Prius is a "greener" car than the MS when you consider the full lifecycle (including manufacturing) of the vehicle.

Of course, the hope is that the grid becomes cleaner over the years, and that the Tesla therefore becomes cleaner. That is a work in progress.

When I bought my car, it was between the MS and the Prius AWD. I am quite happy to never buy another gallon of gasoline, and to have a fun, fast car. But I certainly respect the green creds of the Prius.

I certainly don't think "greenwashing" applies for the Prius, especially the Prius Prime. If you compare Prius Prime with a 2020 Model S LR+ on fueleconomy.gov, you will see that the total tailpipe emissions are quite comparable. In fact in my ZIP code, they are identical at 180 g/mile (tailpipe + upstream). One could certainly make the case that the Prius is a "greener" car than the MS when you consider the full lifecycle (including manufacturing) of the vehicle.

Of course, the hope is that the grid becomes cleaner over the years, and that the Tesla therefore becomes cleaner. That is a work in progress.

When I bought my car, it was between the MS and the Prius AWD. I am quite happy to never buy another gallon of gasoline, and to have a fun, fast car. But I certainly respect the green creds of the Prius.

I owned a Prius Prime when we lived in Colorado because the grid was too dirty for an EV. Then we added a LEAF and I got off my butt and built PV to fuel both cars. Not I'm building another PV array at our home in NM to fuel our two EVs.

I write this to say that I am certainly sensitive to local grid conditions when choosing which *EV, but between an improving grid and ability to choose how clean the fuel is for the cars, EV is the clear winner for me.

Prius is no longer dirt cheap. Cat converters are being targeted by thiefs.

Just spent $1600 to replace the cats on my daughter's car, a '03 Prius "classic" I got the last complete exhaust assy in the US.

Missing a actuator for the exhaust valve which throws a MIL and Code which means no way she will pass smog in August when reg is due.

Toyota has 30O plus of these parts on back order with no estimate of availability. 6 month was the last lead time but could be more.

At least, the refresh Plaid has a better delivery date, "Soon"

I purchased a 2017 Prius Prime Advance when they first came out and were not available anywhere. We lucked into one that someone had ordered and then could not get funding for. Top of the line and it was about $37k. Way too much, but did have the $7500 rebate and we had just been paid a good deal of money on the VW Dieselgate with a great little 2012 Jetta TDI Wagon. We were only into the prime about $15k and had never had a new car. We have had about 4 prius cars before that. I absolutely hate owning a prius. I always have. We have had one of each generation. I love the fuel economy, but hate the driving and toy feeling of the car. It was a car for my wife who loves the "creature comforts" the car has. Big screen in the advance and technologically brilliant. That tech is excellent and have been ahead of the game since early 2000. My car has always been a BMW performance type car. Z3, M5 and others because I love the driving of my car. I would never take the M5 on a trip as I hate spending for gas at 12-16mpg. The prime is about 60mpg. Never the same experience. We purchased a Model S 2017 because I love the feel of the drive and the tech is definitely there. Customer Service SUCKS like no other. I can't tell if it is because Tesla thinks their crap don't stink, or if is just because they are new to the auto game and just don't get that repeat customers are made by good customer service. Toyota loves me and treats me like a king and I will support them. The cars build quality is better, cheaper but better. They run forever and it will maintain it's value. The Model S will drop like a brick, and will not last much more than 10 years before needing a forklift of money to bring it up to working condition, and that will not be modern tech at that time. It will be outdated and ready for the scrap heap. Just like your phone, it will not be modern enough to keep. Still works, just not well enough to make you happy. Time to purchase another six figure car. Keep the cycle going.

I hope they figure the customer service part out. I really do love the driving experience of the car. I just can't take the service center and the build quality. My BMW M5 is missed. It was expensive to own, but was a high quality beast with power to burn.

Reactions: InternetDude
As someone with a 2015 and 92k+ miles, I am not sure about your assessment of longevity ... yet.
My repairs are just a bit more than annual with DIY potential on most. Poor customer service is frustrating but doesn't effect longevity. Unless you carry over the customer service argument over to battery replacement pricing and options. Then I tend to agree.
To be fair, so few people are out of battery warranty with failures that it probably hasn't reached the level of decision making that it deserves. When there are 1000 S's that have been totaled because of battery failures and nothing is done, then we can be really mad.

I would like to think I won't buy a Tesla again as of today's policies but if we get a TC reboot, my wife gets a Y and I drive her 3.

Also, I am tired of hearing people say that old S batteries will be used for home storage. Not when they fail. And the mods needed to accomplish that is no small task. And we all know that the core value on an S battery will not allow it for now anyway. At some point, with enough failures, the salvage value on a model S with no battery will drop pretty low. Maybe enough to justify $22k for a 4 year warranty but that will be a hard pill to swallow. There are pathways out of this mess but Tesla seems currently uninterested in doing much right in the service aspect (the MCU2 pricing is quite fair and they deserve some credit here).

Lots of truth here. My journey towards EVs started with a 2nd Generation Chevy Volt that I would absolutely recommend. Great mix of EV range (~53 actual miles electric) and solid gas performance (~40 mpg). My only complaint is that it was a little small for a 5-passenger vehicle.
Funny you mention that. I came to Tesla MS from a 2012 Volt that I really liked. I was sorry to see it totalled. The Model 3 size and road noise reminded me of that car. And, the Volt has real, intuitive buttons.

I loved my Prius prime. Great car, but I enjoyed the EV portion so much I decided to sell it and get a MY. Even thought the Tesla drivetrain is best in class, it will be an adjustment downgrading feature wise. I’m going to miss the BSM mirrors, cross traffic detection, hand grips, Apple CarPlay, lossless audio, and now radar :(