Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded my Tesla for a Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Admittedly a very nice car but go back to an ICE? Not for me, never in a million years. We need change and now.
You're preaching to the choir here. You need to convince the 98% of worldwide new car buyers who choose non-EVs.
Will be interesting to see if Toyota survives the “EV revolution” coming in the next decade.
They have announced one BEV but not for N.America. Personally I think Lexus should PHEV every vehicle in the lineup immediately while continuing to work toward BEV. Toyota has always been slow to change, that's why they had such boring appliance cars for so many years. They finally improved tech, styling, etc. I really do think they're missing the boat here by not offering a "Prime" version of every vehicle in the lineup. They have the Prius Prime, and the upcoming Rav4 Prime I'm kinda sorta interested in even though I don't really like SUVs.

One EV announced: Toyota's luxury Lexus brand plans battery EV launch in 2020

Six EVs planned by 2025: Toyota Details 6 New EV Models Launching for 2020–2025

The "traditional car buyer" will still be families in their 30's and 40's who will need a reliable car and will not wait 2 weeks to fix a screen so they can turn on the AC. I think the single point of control (the screen) will be a distant fad meant to reel in the iphone users who are absolutely dependent on their screen. Yes, the other manufacturers will catch up, buttons intact, and I do think Tesla will suffer. By that time, Musk will sell and take his billions elsewhere, and you'll deal with a traditional automaker going forward.

When will they catch up? How many more years do they need? Any predictions? To date, these “Tesla Killers” have yet to materialize.

Reactions: SilverGS
R.I.P. reliability. Hello fun though ;)

I could send any Lexus into the service bay in 40 minutes of driving on flat pavement. A lot of car durability has to do with how they are driven. Basically, it would overheat the transmission/engine and lose it's brakes. Rental companies know this. See Lexus as a choice at Enterprise? Tesla is a choice.

Oddly enough, the brand with the worst public perception of quality, Chevrolet, is the only brand I know of that covers their cars for closed course damage. Yes, you can run Open Track day in your Camaro or Corvette at speeds of 175mph on a blistering summer day, and the warranty is not void.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverGS
The coworker that gave me the referral for my free supercharging traded in his 2013 S for a GS350 shortly after I got my car. Got tired of things breaking and it got real expensive after his warranty was up. He also has a GX450 so knows Lexus. I came from a 2010 Lexus hybrid, and yeah if Lexus had an EV or even plug-in I'd probably be driving it instead of a Tesla but they don't.

I still have my Lexus and still get it serviced at the dealer - saving it for my kids to drive in high school and college because it's bullet-proof, even with 130k miles. And it's what I use to drive the dog around. But it's BORING. Never put a smile on my face, even the day I bought it, but it did get me from A-B in comfort. I just can't imagine going back to ICE, especially a hybrid, though I can see getting a non-Tesla EV if someone eventually makes a decent one with decent range for around the same price.

Reactions: Struja
So I'd like to comment on the overpopulation issue posted earlier. If you actually study the data, the worldwide birth rates are down to the point that they predict the same number of children in 2100 as there are today, and most (all?) developed countries are already at or below 2 children born per mother. There are very few countries that still have high birth rates. It's to the point that if the birth rate drops any more in developed countries, they will all have the same problem that Japan and Italy have today, which is not enough young people to sustain the economy or take care of all the old people. See Gapminder: Gapminder Foundation is fighting devastating ignorance with a fact-based worldview that everyone can understand. if you'd like to dispel some old assumptions most people have about the world - it's a lot different than we think, and certainly different than we were taught with those outdated text books.

So "having less children" actually causes more problems for society than it solves. We're heading towards ~11B people on the planet, as the kids that already exist grow up, and then it's expected to level off there. We just need to plan for sustaining those 11B in an eco-friendly way (renewable energy, vertical farming, growing meat / meat substitutes versus cows and chickens, etc.).

I remember the "Good Old Days" when scientists said earth could not sustain 5 billion people (back when the population was 3 billion). That is, most the people who are complaining about overpopulation today should have never been born to begin with.

To be honest tho, i miss the roar of a naturally aspirated v8.
Yeah i know its not eco friendly, but if you grew up to it, its a sound you really enjoy like how audiophiles enjoy high definition music.

Im just sad now most high performance cars sound like rice crispys and go snap crackle and pop a v6 turbo makes, but i guess there're also people here that also love how the new M3's and Supra make.

But its very ironic how quiet tesla's are yet the interior really fails at noise isolation, so you end up hearing a lot of ambient road noise, in which again, if it was a 400hp V8 Roaring, you would probably not hear, unless again, your a super audiophile and have canine level hearing.

But I can also tell you, my Parents S65, and my Friends LS500 are way quieter then my Model S on the road even with an ICE engine.
My friends LS even, it feels like its Gliding.... way too soft of a ride for me, but you cant really compare the ride quality of the LS to a Tesla...

Of course everytime i pull up next to him and smirk, he just rolls up his window and ignores my taunt to race him to the next light, because he knows he will get spanked hardcore...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cucubits and SO16
Right which is about the only moving parts in the car that I can think of. What’s left that can go wrong? The screen I guess but I haven’t heard if that bring a major malfunction with the new gen Tesla

LMAO....
Oh really, you have that much faith in Tesla Warrenty...

*Sigh*
Please Help! Drive unit seal not covered under warranty as part of drive unit??

And here is another one
Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service
I just got the same diagnosis and I have a 2013 P85 with just 77K miles on it. WTF?
^this guy im sure was under drive train... what exactly is tesla's definition of drive train....

Read those threads, there are a few members under that who got straight up denied.... they call it WEAR and TEAR...

Even the battery, until your car is really dead, they will say your battery needs recalibration... really... recalibration on a Lithium ion battery which has a BMS.... :confused:

For the longest time they were calling our yellow MCU Cosmetic on top until they realized A LOT of owners started to take them to Arbitration, in which they lost every case.

This is why i got the ESA, and made sure it was though TESLA and not 3rd party.
Even then im waiting to see if they will troll me with wear and tear and make me regret getting that expensive ESA.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: cucubits