Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I tried "Launch Mode" for the first time today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does launch mode really make that big of a difference between just being at a full stop and mashing the accelertor?

on a P100D with ludi+ yes...
It makes a big difference.

Regular mash, my passenger is like AHHHHHHHHHHHH *trying to grab the non existent coat hanger on the passenger side*

on launch mode... they are dead silent, because their stomach, vocal cords, even their brain is in the rear seat, and the thing sitting next to you is just a shell.

Once u slow down, if your passenger is female, you get massive beatings accompanied with "OMGOMGOMGOMG", if its a male, its followed by a lot of "DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"....

Last edited:
For those who say Ludicrous / Ludicrous + will get old sure doesn't have it.... I use non-launch L all of the time and when I really want to impress myself or my friends - because sometimes I forget how quick it really is - I'll put it in launch mode.

Attachments

• IMG_7312 2.JPG
    IMG_7312 2.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 78
For those who say Ludicrous / Ludicrous + will get old sure doesn't have it.... I use non-launch L all of the time and when I really want to impress myself or my friends - because sometimes I forget how quick it really is - I'll put it in launch mode.
Beautiful shot of your X and stunning photograph in particular. Perfectly exposed sunset (or sunrise) and fantastic composition with the space in front of the car more than the rear. :)

I say this in a nice way- You are all a little crazy - can you picture yourself in New York City trying this? Not even on our super slow expressway - you might go 25 feet before you hit something or someone. HaHa!!
Same problem in LA. I'm about 70 miles NNE of LA, in the desert. Pull up Lancaster, CA, on Google Maps, switch to satellite view. Outside the city limits...nothing but desert roads, some of them unpaved. This is some seriously empty territory.

Tesla plainly states using launch mode is abusive to your vehicle. I'm not about to abuse my baby (2015 S, P85D) since NOTHING I've run into gets anything but a look at my rear end as I blast away from them!!
Has anyone ever noticed any loss of function after abusing a Tesla with multiple Launch Modes? My service guy states:
"The motors are so relatively cheap and easy to buy and replace that we may have some significantly better ones by the time you would ever need one. It doesn't matter how many times you launch it, if anything happens to components while the car is under warranty, we are covering it."
So I Say: Launch Mode Away!

Meh.....I tried to get a friend to help me time the 0-60 with ludicrous+. In the app "Stats", there is a header where you are supposedly able to make an accurate 0-60 second measurement. The process (if you are not familiar with it) involves:

1. Un-mute the sound on iPhone
2. Tap on "Start"
3. Step on the accelerator when you are ready (timer starts after car starts moving and you hear "Started")
4. Tap on "Stop" after reaching the top speed

Good luck with getting someone in the passenger seat to accomplish this! My friend was game to try this three times. It's virtually impossible to look at the app on the phone while being slammed into the seat at over 1.1 G's of force and then trying to click on "Stop" after reaching the top speed. After having tried this three times, my friend declined to try the fourth complaining that he was severely dizzy and starting to get a headache. I ended up taking him home where he recuperated by lying down in his bed for quite a while. I initially thought he was making up a story because he needed to be somewhere else, but I talked to him afterwards and he was being truthful with me. Other people have also reported feeling dizzy and/or nauseous after having been subjected to several ludricrous+ launches as well. YQMMV

(Your Quarter Mileage May Vary)

Totally, we only did 1, I still feel nauseated! BEST DAY EVER!

Tesla plainly states using launch mode is abusive to your vehicle. I'm not about to abuse my baby (2015 S, P85D) since NOTHING I've run into gets anything but a look at my rear end as I blast away from them!!
Dude, did your toys look like this on a shelf growing up, to "preserve the collectible value"? Using Launch Mode is the fullest expression of owning a performance Tesla. Of course you shouldn't abuse it... but c'mon man... the occasional launch, just a little, just to feel aliiiive?
StarWars-The-Force-Awakens.jpg

This is not how you use launch mode.
Your seriously not going to use it to beat that lambo next to you unless its a flat open space, and you have gro pro's attached to your car.

Im pretty sure you are aware how fast our cars take off, to use launch mode at a signal light is asking for it, because in even 3 seconds your at 70+, and im pretty sure under most cities, that is way over the speed limit on local streets.

And using launch mode on a freeway on ramp, it might be okey, but again, i can most easily get to 90+ mph on an onramp even without launch mode, making me a nice target for California Highway Patrol to write me up one.

You use launch mode responsibility, where if something was to go wrong, only you will be the victim and you won't take someone with you.

Has anyone ever noticed any loss of function after abusing a Tesla with multiple Launch Modes? My service guy states:
"The motors are so relatively cheap and easy to buy and replace that we may have some significantly better ones by the time you would ever need one. It doesn't matter how many times you launch it, if anything happens to components while the car is under warranty, we are covering it."
So I Say: Launch Mode Away!

Yeah... tesla said our MCU screens were warrenty at first, then they said oh no its cosmetic.
Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Your car is making a rattle... well guess what... NOT WARRENTY
Rattles are not covered by warranty any more

The drive train mount for rear motors snapping under most conditions should be warranty but guess what? NOPE.
(Read though the post, there are plenty of cars in that thread under the 100k drive train)
Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

i dont trust Tesla Warranty... I really don't.
Bumper to Bumper should mean Bumper to Bumper, not oh thats Cosmetic / normal Wear and Tear.
I pretty much guarantee they will try to pin you on using launch mode excessively, to blame WEAR AND TEAR.
Everytime i take my car to service i have to hold my breathe and hope its warranty or word my issue without the words "Rattle + Noise".

So i would use it very sparingly for giggles, when the responsible time comes.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of mash-the-go-pedal acceleration runs. The difference is that the motors are torqued in anticipation and I assume the car is set for proper weight shifrt for racing. It saves a few hundredths of a second in a timed run. You will definitely notice the difference. Stomping the accelerator will feel considerably slower, because it is. Launch mode is sudden. I mean, really sudden. Instantaneous. Which is why I got dizzy in the original story. The G force just sent all the blood in my skull backwards.