Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 72, I wear graduated trifocals because my near vision is terrible, my mid-distance vision is just about normal and my distance vision is bad but not as bad as my near vision. But, with the the trifocals I can read everything on the screen perfectly and then look out the windshield and everything there looks sharp too. It does take a few days to adjust to them but once you do they will solve anyone's issues with Tesla's touchscreen. I have a 2020M3LR and have never experienced the issues being raised here. Lasik surgery might solve the problem too but it's much more expensive.

Reactions: VT_EE and rpiotro
I'm 72, I wear graduated trifocals because my near vision is terrible, my mid-distance vision is just about normal and my distance vision is bad but not as bad as my near vision. But, with the the trifocals I can read everything on the screen perfectly and then look out the windshield and everything there looks sharp too. It does take a few days to adjust to them but once you do they will solve anyone's issues with Tesla's touchscreen. I have a 2020M3LR and have never experienced the issues being raised here. Lasik surgery might solve the problem too but it's much more expensive.
Ditto here. Can see just fine with blended bifocals.

My Ophthalmologist told me that at age 71 he would not recommend Lasik. It may not give the desired result and would still require glasses for close up viewing as the problem is simply that at an older age your lenses do not adjust focus easily.

OK, now its clear to me. I have a partner and I am not really happy
how she makes Ice cubes. Now the cost of a replacement partner for
Ice cubes, which I really like well made, would get me into the 7/11
cost area. I have gone to Targette to find inspector 192 for my hoodie. No luck.
I do not hear well or see well, still I make a mean Taco.
What in the name of black Russians are we talking about.
Never mind.

Ditto here. Can see just fine with blended bifocals.

My Ophthalmologist told me that at age 71 he would not recommend Lasik. It may not give the desired result and would still require glasses for close up viewing as the problem is simply that at an older age your lenses do not adjust focus easily.
My wife had Lasix surgery last year. Her visions improved a lot except that now, when driving at night all the lights become "colorful starburst patterns". That's her description. The upshot is that now she is uncomfortable driving at night.

Tesla has the best usability still out of everyone. I'm not sure anyone does infotainment as good as them. The voice commands are second to none. Sending a text or setting navigation is leagues above even the newest google offerings. Even the phone key is better with Tesla than the competitors. Many of them still require fobs and a start button push with long animations. Tesla is the most get in, drive, and get out car I have ever been in. Between all that and longer ranges I'm stuck in a Tesla for the foreseeable future. I would like to step up to the S at some point for the better ride and the big sedan form factor but as of now I have no desire to leave the Teslasphere.

Tesla has historically been geared towards early adopters and folks eager for the latest tech with all its growing pains. Now that mainstream drivers are buying Teslas, Tesla really needs to provide a polished product and deliver features consistent with market standards (wipers that work, garage door opener, etc) and definitely never remove features. They could have folks opt in as beta testers if they want monthly software builds, while others just get proven software.
Bingo - I've owned my M3 since June of 2018, and I'm a little tired of the "automatic" wipers not working consistently.

I’d rather use a paper map than what Toyota calls Navigation. I’ve owned/own 4 Toyotas and they’re lovely cars, but their historic obsession with perfecting each part of the vehicle puts them behind in this fast paced tech world.
Right, I always take a map/atlas and our ancient 15+-year-old Garmin GPS (which does have current map updates) when out and about in our 2019 4Runner. A dedicated front passenger can operate the Toyota navigation system, given infinite time and knowledge.

Tesla has the best usability still out of everyone. I'm not sure anyone does infotainment as good as them. The voice commands are second to none.
*cough*

Let's see:

1. Can't turn on steering wheel heaters unless I also turn on the HVAC, which requires explicitly switching it back off (unless I add the steering wheel heater icon to the customizable menu, which I can't, because it's already full with other items).

2. HVAC issues: Ever try to configure your climate control system for the following? (a) Defogging windshield (b) Recirculate. Nope, it won't let you. So if it's smoky outside and you want to defrost the windshield by running the AC (cabin evaporator coil) and heater (cabin condenser coil) simultaneously, without clogging up your cabin filter with smoke particulates, well, it just won't let you do it. The moment you switch to windshield defogging mode, it switches off the recirculation mode. Genius! Oh wait, I think you can do this. The long way. Go into HVAC menu (press #1). Switch airflow to windshield (press #2). Force system to recirculate (press #3). Force A/C to be always ON (although that's already selected). Which is a royal pain on a touchscreen that has no tactile feedback.

3. Just bringing up the trip meter/odometer requires two presses.

4. Headlights: fog lights requires two presses. Oh, and the headlights always come ON when it's dark, even if I explicitly turned them OFF the last time I drove. Oh, and did I mention that the auto high beams keep getting disabled at seemingly random times and I have to keep re-enabling them?

5. Let's talk about the voice commands that you describe as being "second to none". I've tried giving it the commands to do the following: fresh air into cabin, fan to 3, A/C OFF, temperature to LO (in other words, I just wanted fresh air from the outside being brought into the cabin to counteract the sun heating up the glass roof; it was actually comfortable to slightly uncomfortably cool outside and there's no reason to start the compressor and use the cabin evaporator when you can just bring in fresh air). But nope. It really doesn't understand. And to do this on the display takes many, many presses, because you have to lower the temperature all the way from wherever it's at to LO, then switch the A/C OFF, then adjust the fan. Oh, and just try to tell it to do the procedure I told it to do in (2) with voice commands.

6. More voice command stupidity: I asked it to "set climate control to recirculate". The computer determined that what I actually said was "keep climate control on". I then had to go into the menu and turn off the "keep climate control on" mode. What a joke. This is why I gave up using voice commands a long time ago.

*cough*

Let's see:

1. Can't turn on steering wheel heaters unless I also turn on the HVAC, which requires explicitly switching it back off (unless I add the steering wheel heater icon to the customizable menu, which I can't, because it's already full with other items).

2. HVAC issues: Ever try to configure your climate control system for the following? (a) Defogging windshield (b) Recirculate. Nope, it won't let you. So if it's smoky outside and you want to defrost the windshield by running the AC (cabin evaporator coil) and heater (cabin condenser coil) simultaneously, without clogging up your cabin filter with smoke particulates, well, it just won't let you do it. The moment you switch to windshield defogging mode, it switches off the recirculation mode. Genius! Oh wait, I think you can do this. The long way. Go into HVAC menu (press #1). Switch airflow to windshield (press #2). Force system to recirculate (press #3). Force A/C to be always ON (although that's already selected). Which is a royal pain on a touchscreen that has no tactile feedback.

4. Headlights: fog lights requires two presses. Oh, and the headlights always come ON when it's dark, even if I explicitly turned them OFF the last time I drove. Oh, and did I mention that the auto high beams keep getting disabled at seemingly random times and I have to keep re-enabling them?

5. Let's talk about the voice commands that you describe as being "second to none". I've tried giving it the commands to do the following: fresh air into cabin, fan to 3, A/C OFF, temperature to LO (in other words, I just wanted fresh air from the outside being brought into the cabin to counteract the sun heating up the glass roof; it was actually comfortable to slightly uncomfortably cool outside and there's no reason to start the compressor and use the cabin evaporator when you can just bring in fresh air). But nope. It really doesn't understand. And to do this on the display takes many, many presses, because you have to lower the temperature all the way from wherever it's at to LO, then switch the A/C OFF, then adjust the fan. Oh, and just try to tell it to do the procedure I told it to do in (2) with voice commands.

6. More voice command stupidity: I asked it to "set climate control to recirculate". The computer determined that what I actually said was "keep climate control on". I then had to go into the menu and turn off the "keep climate control on" mode. What a joke. This is why I gave up using voice commands a long time ago.
I don't know why you would want the steering wheel to be toasty while freezing your butt off. The inside cabin will fog up very fast without the running heater during cold days.
HEPA filter will not let the smoky air in, so no need to recirculate the air. Defogging windshield with outside air in is the industry standard. not just Tesla
I need to press two times to bring up the odometer in my Honda Accord
Tesla vision requires the auto headlight on. I had no issue with auto high beam disabling by itself
Tesla voice command is one of the best in the market. Have you tried other car brands? They are beyond horrible.

Right, I always take a map/atlas and our ancient 15+-year-old Garmin GPS (which does have current map updates) when out and about in our 2019 4Runner. A dedicated front passenger can operate the Toyota navigation system, given infinite time and knowledge.
Except that that the nannies at Toyota disable most of the nav system buttons when the vehicle is in motion even if a passenger is present. One of many reasons the Toyota UI is garbage.

Reactions: PACEMD
*cough*

Let's see:

I'll give some of these a try on my way home today. Honestly I didn't know steering heat is tied to HVAC being on. I do wish they would move the icon to the same area as the seat icons separate from the selectable shortcuts though. Fog lights ae in a dumb spot and should be part of the first menu when you hit the car icon. I think the trip odometer is back on the cards that they put in the holiday update. I never use that other than to check on my lifetime energy/mile.

Seriously though sending a text on other manufacturers cars is almost painful. On the tesla you just say text so and so and say the text followed by confirming to send with the button. Other manufacturers you still have to say send a text then are prompted for who. Then are prompted what. Then google systems read it back and ask if its okay. Then they ask if you want to send. Its not convenient. Navigation commands are similar but not as many steps.

I'll give some of these a try on my way home today. Honestly I didn't know steering heat is tied to HVAC being on. I do wish they would move the icon to the same area as the seat icons separate from the selectable shortcuts though. Fog lights ae in a dumb spot and should be part of the first menu when you hit the car icon. I think the trip odometer is back on the cards that they put in the holiday update. I never use that other than to check on my lifetime energy/mile.

Seriously though sending a text on other manufacturers cars is almost painful. On the tesla you just say text so and so and say the text followed by confirming to send with the button. Other manufacturers you still have to say send a text then are prompted for who. Then are prompted what. Then google systems read it back and ask if its okay. Then they ask if you want to send. Its not convenient. Navigation commands are similar but not as many steps.
You can have the heated steering icon always present in the "dock" at the bottom of the screen. Park the car and find the icon in the apps and drag it down to the bottom.

Reactions: TimTam
I don't know why you would want the steering wheel to be toasty while freezing your butt off.
Why does it really matter? For the record, the scenario was: get in car in a day with full sun and cool air. Hands are cold. Car interior is comfortably warm due to having been parked in the sun and having a glass roof. FYI: human comfort is affected by more than just air temperature and humidity. Radiant temperature (things around you, like a glass roof, being warm enough to radiate heat at you) plays a big role too. That's why you can be comfortable when sitting underneath a patio heater on a cold day. The patio heater isn't really changing the air temperature that much but is radiating a lot of heat at you.

Or maybe you're just one of those people who is trying to squeeze every last mile of range out of the car and you're using seat and steering wheel heaters exclusively and keeping the HVAC off.

In the end though, it really shouldn't matter why I want to do something. How about the engineers just stop assuming they know better than the person driving the car?

Here's another one: try rolling the vehicle out of your garage and down the driveway (roll mode selected, feet off both pedals). Oh wait, the computer jams on the brakes because it says it has to "prevent rollaway", despite knowing full well that you are in the driver seat (there's a weight sensor in there which is how it knows to keep the display on when you close the doors). Again, engineers thinking they know better than the person actually in the driver's seat. How about they take a lesson from Boeing and look at what happened with MCAS?
The inside cabin will fog up very fast without the running heater during cold days.
HEPA filter will not let the smoky air in, so no need to recirculate the air. Defogging windshield with outside air in is the industry standard. not just Tesla
I need to press two times to bring up the odometer in my Honda Accord
Tesla vision requires the auto headlight on. I had no issue with auto high beam disabling by itself
Tesla voice command is one of the best in the market. Have you tried other car brands? They are beyond horrible.
I could do any climate control configuration in about 3-5 seconds without even looking in my old 8th generation Corolla. It wasn't automatic HVAC but it was very easy to adjust.
I'll give some of these a try on my way home today. Honestly I didn't know steering heat is tied to HVAC being on.
It's not. But in order to get to the steering wheel heater controls, you need to go into the HVAC menu. And the geniuses who designed this thing decided that any time you go into the HVAC menu, you actually want to turn on the HVAC. Which might have been true when the only reason to go into the HVAC menu in the first place was to manipulate HVAC settings...but they put the controls for the seat heaters and steering wheel heaters in there too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is NO blind spots with the following
1. side cameras
2. side view mirrors with tilt down when reverse to show the rear wheel/tires
3. back up camera
4. any car with stretched tires will do the same. it is not Tesla only problem
5. it is very easy and require minimal force to damage wheels on any car going 0.000001 mph. It is the matter of the side wall height not the wheel design or Tesla problem.

eyx1z6w2woc81.jpg

attachment.php

19e3640d-45fa-4632-9824-1bf82eb40f60-jpeg.185206

icyrt0m3oom11.jpg
These wheels look like my wheels on my Model X!