Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you could, would you rollback to 7.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those on 7.1, I am curious as to whether you regret upgrading given the Autopilot changes.

I'm also curious about any Autopilot nagging in Australia and inappropriate Autopilot speed limiting, as the US reports are quite inconsistent.

(FWIW, I have received the update but not applied it yet, so am still on 7.0 for now.)

No. The AP and parking are a bit better, so overall a decent but fairly minor upgrade IMHO. Tesla has a long way to go to meet their original promises.

As far as the nagging, I've always driven in AP with a hand on the wheel and feel strongly that everyone should, if not for their safety then for other people's sake.

Why go back to no spotify?
There are no negatives with 7.1. I was on a country road today, one lane each way with tall shrubs each side (kangaroo and emu country), and the road was somewhat narrow with a white divider painted. AP came up as available, and I didnt feel comfortable assigning my duties, but thought I'd see how it went - it immediately advised me the road was restricted and slowed me to 70. I was relieved that the system was smart enough to know its own limitations. I tooked control back. It didnt restrict me on other roads.
7.1 is a step forward, however I agree that tesla hasnt yet fulfilled its sales promises, but they are certainly getting there.

Last edited:
Why go back to no spotify?
There are no negatives with 7.1. I was on a country road today, one lane each way with tall shrubs each side (kangaroo and emu country), and the road was somewhat narrow with a white divider painted. AP came up as available, and I didnt feel confrotable asigning my duties, but thought I'd see how it went - it immediately advised me the road was restricted and slowed me to 70. I was relieved that the system was smart enough to know its own limitations. I tooked control back. It didnt restrict me on other roads.
7.1 is a step forward, however I agree that tesla hasnt yet fulfilled its sales promises, but they are certainly getting there.

The negatives that worry me are the various reports of:

raynewman: "used auto steer today after 7.1 update and it hunted so badly I had to turn it off."
Dborn: "Yes, I too find auto steer hunting. It also likes to steer into the side of the road."
marchino: "Agreed. It is more "twitchy" than before, I find. Instead of smoothing out kinks in the lane markings, it follows them slavishly."
WA-T3sla: "I am finding it is a lot more twitchy on autopilot. It seems to be related to the programming to make the car favour the edge of the lane to increase distance with other cars. That is a good thing but when the side lane marking isn't continuous it makes the car wander between the edge of the lane and the centre in some cases quite abruptly."
WhiteStar: "I think you’ve identified the issue very accurately. The wandering or hunting between the curb and median seems to occur on wide streets where there’s no curb marking and can be quite abrupt as you say."

I can live without Spotify for at least a little while longer.

I am hoping that this is a training issue, same as with ver7.0. Also i like Spotify, so no, i would not go back. Auto steer is not THAT important to me. Will be giving it a proper try on Sunday with the meet up though. Auto park even parallel is, i find, not as accurate as with the earlier version, and i have had it leave me up to a metre from the kerb. Not always, but sometimes. today was a case in point. it was a nice BIG space too. Just used the system as a trial and it was a quiet road. Maybe the kerb is too low for it in those circumstances?

For those on 7.1, I am curious as to whether you regret upgrading given the Autopilot changes.

I'm also curious about any Autopilot nagging in Australia and inappropriate Autopilot speed limiting, as the US reports are quite inconsistent.

(FWIW, I have received the update but not applied it yet, so am still on 7.0 for now.)
I'd not go back. Spotify awesome. Autosteer opinion withheld pro tem.

Definitely not. Apart from Spotify, Launch Mode (which now works for me), better driving experience with AP (more responsive, slows around bends depending on severity, steer hunting - which I prefer to running off the road, and nagging - which it always did and only seems to do when the probability of danger increases), and ......., why would you not want the latest results from extensive R & D when the reason to buy the car in the first place would have to be because of the extensive R & D and transition to an unbelievably unique vehicle.

The negatives that worry me are the various reports of:

raynewman: "used auto steer today after 7.1 update and it hunted so badly I had to turn it off."
Dborn: "Yes, I too find auto steer hunting. It also likes to steer into the side of the road."
marchino: "Agreed. It is more "twitchy" than before, I find. Instead of smoothing out kinks in the lane markings, it follows them slavishly."
WA-T3sla: "I am finding it is a lot more twitchy on autopilot. It seems to be related to the programming to make the car favour the edge of the lane to increase distance with other cars. That is a good thing but when the side lane marking isn't continuous it makes the car wander between the edge of the lane and the centre in some cases quite abruptly."
WhiteStar: "I think you’ve identified the issue very accurately. The wandering or hunting between the curb and median seems to occur on wide streets where there’s no curb marking and can be quite abrupt as you say."

I can live without Spotify for at least a little while longer.
I'm not experiencing any of that on Adelaide roads, although when 7 came out we established some significant differences in kerb profiles between the states. Looks like SA's wheel rash hunters do actually have a decent purpose after all.

Upgrade last night. First test very positive. Auto parking parallel OK though now seems if the if the space is big it can end up more out from the curb. Situation with perpendicular parking more a problem for me so. Maybe the gap is needs to be just one car. Could not get it work. Will report later.Not tried the auto pilot for enough time. Use it a lot under 7.0 hope they have not changed it too much.
Still no going back. Spotify fabulous! Great sound and range of music!

No going back for me. I love that AP defaults to speed limit plus your selected margin. I also like the multi lane AP display. I don't think AP is any worse and its only going to get better. Spotify is a no brainer. I haven't had a chance to try perpendicular parking. I just wish I got Homelink and summon but even without these I am loving the update.

Just completed my regular drive to the Southern Highlands and AP is much improved on the Hume Highway and the M5. Seemed to hunt a bit more in the M5 Tunnel though. The places where AP is not offered anymore never worked successfully so I don't see that as a loss. I think Tesla are concentrating the improvements where they consider AP is most suited for and they may go back to the 'corner cases' later on. Spotify is far away better than RDIO but there don't appear to be any other audio improvements.
I'm glad I upgraded.

Definitely not. Apart from Spotify, Launch Mode (which now works for me), better driving experience with AP (more responsive, slows around bends depending on severity, steer hunting - which I prefer to running off the road, and nagging - which it always did and only seems to do when the probability of danger increases), and ......., why would you not want the latest results from extensive R & D when the reason to buy the car in the first place would have to be because of the extensive R & D and transition to an unbelievably unique vehicle.

Yes - totally agree!

Thank you. This has finally tipped me over to upgrading as AP performance on actual long haul travel was quite important to me.

How frequently did it nag on the Hume?

I wasn't taking careful notice and I normally rest my hand on the bottom if the steering wheel to keep it from nagging.
It only did it twice, once after a period of not holding the wheel and once when it refused my lane change without hands on the wheel.
I can't say I noticed any increase in nagging but your experience my vary.