Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did everyone get the email from Tesla....." With the introduction of Dual Motor and Autopilot, there will be no further significant platform changes to Model S for about a year. We continue to see rapid growth elsewhere with the construction of the Gigafactory, the spread of Superchargers, and increased vehicle production."

Did everyone get the email from Tesla....." With the introduction of Dual Motor and Autopilot, there will be no further significant platform changes to Model S for about a year. We continue to see rapid growth elsewhere with the construction of the Gigafactory, the spread of Superchargers, and increased vehicle production."

I don't own one yet (on order). But my guess is that it is a reaction to the (justified) complaints of those that took delivery just prior to the new features being released.

Wow, so my P85 which I got for $101k in July 2013 which now has 45,500 on it is only worth $40,500?

that's BS.

no way, Model S60 owners are getting offers higher than that. I haven't seen a Model P85 anywhere for less than $60,000 unless it has a salvage title or is an obviously crashed car (parts only)

Looking on autotrader.com right now the cheapest cars are

S40 can't find one
S60 $65,000 private seller, overpriced with 57,000 miles
S85 $58,000 private seller with 14,000 miles
P85 $75,000 private seller 7,141 miles

Is it worth what they are asking on autotrader, maybe not. But I'm thinking it would sell very quick if you priced it under the $65,000 mark on autotrader as it would be $10,000 less than the next cheapest P and on the first page sorted by lowest price with only 2 other non salvage title cars under $65,000.

Price it between $65K and $70K and you now get mixed in with all the S60s and S85s in that price range, a determined buyer would see the P and know it is worth more but someone that doesn't know better might get lost in the listings.

Maybe you can get a better price for it but the higher you push the more work it will take to find the buyer. Of course you can try local luxury car dealers and carmax to see what they would offer but all in all you aren't going to get a serious offer for $40,500.

Cashier's check?

Otherwise if they come with you to the bank and wire it
I have already had one scammer trying to get me to wire him the shipping money in advance of purchasing the car (insert long convoluted explanation for why this is necessary). It was never a serious enquiry but I strung him/her along for a while and reported it to out fraud people. Actually I had a second attempt too.

Cashier's check?

Otherwise if they come with you to the bank and wire it

I've done this a few times.

1/ I was the seller. Buyer met me at his bank, and handed me a cashier's check.
2/ I was the seller. Buyer handed me cashier's check and cash. I called the bank to verify the check before signing the title.
3/ I was the seller. Trusting soul wired me the entire sum. I sent them the title via 2-day air. They arranged pick-up.
4/ I was the seller. Buyer inspected the car, and then called his bank to wire the funds. It took about an hour, so we grabbed lunch. Once I confirmed receipt, I signed the title and handed over the keys.

Keep in mind cashier's checks can be placed onto stop payment status. They are not guaranteed funds. Better than a personal check because the funds had to be present when the check was drafted, but you can still get screwed. Most institutions will place a hold on the funds of a stopped payment cashier's check either until 1/ the check is returned 2/ 90 days.

One of the two cars I sold to fund for the Model S (a 2010 BMW Z4) was bought by a guy from Canada. He flew down, drove the car, and gave me a *Canadian* bank check (from HSBC Bank Canada). My bank (Bank of America) couldn't clear the check right away (takes one to two days). But I took a leap of faith, and gave the guy the keys and signed the title over. He drove the car back to Canada across the border (which wasn't without its own problems!)... but I vetted the buyer as a VP at a large technology company (and had him email me from his work email address *and* work network).. so I knew who to go after if the check didn't clear. But of course it did, and he got through the border and all is well. But yeah, that was a risk on my part to send the car and the signed title across the border before his check actually cleared.

no way, Model S60 owners are getting offers higher than that. I haven't seen a Model P85 anywhere for less than $60,000 unless it has a salvage title or is an obviously crashed car (parts only)

Looking on autotrader.com right now the cheapest cars are

S40 can't find one
S60 $65,000 private seller, overpriced with 57,000 miles
S85 $58,000 private seller with 14,000 miles
P85 $75,000 private seller 7,141 miles

Is it worth what they are asking on autotrader, maybe not. But I'm thinking it would sell very quick if you priced it under the $65,000 mark on autotrader as it would be $10,000 less than the next cheapest P and on the first page sorted by lowest price with only 2 other non salvage title cars under $65,000.

Price it between $65K and $70K and you now get mixed in with all the S60s and S85s in that price range, a determined buyer would see the P and know it is worth more but someone that doesn't know better might get lost in the listings.

Maybe you can get a better price for it but the higher you push the more work it will take to find the buyer. Of course you can try local luxury car dealers and carmax to see what they would offer but all in all you aren't going to get a serious offer for $40,500.

Since the discussion was around 60's, my trade-in offer from Tesla was a bit more than yours! I have a 5 month old, 9k miles S60 + Pano + SC and they offered $55,500 - my cost out the door was 68000 (No tax and after Fed credit) - and I figured I could probably sell for about $60-63k private party.

It is official.
I picked up my MP4-12C yesterday. I bought the car for 5% over wholesale auction from a retail dealer so there was not a lot in the 12C deal and yet I got $79K for my P+. That was $10.5K over Tesla's bid.

$107.7ish Sticker less $7500 Federal Tax Credit thus I had $100K in my P+
I drove it 18,700 miles thus depreciation was $1.13/mile which compares favorably with my normal $1/mile when I keep premium vehicles for three years. Not bad at all.

It is official.
I picked up my MP4-12C yesterday. I bought the car for 5% over wholesale auction from a retail dealer so there was not a lot in the 12C deal and yet I got $79K for my P+. That was $10.5K over Tesla's bid.

$107.7ish Sticker less $7500 Federal Tax Credit thus I had $100K in my P+
I drove it 18,700 miles thus depreciation was $1.13/mile which compares favorably with my normal $1/mile when I keep premium vehicles for three years. Not bad at all.

Pictures?

So your plan then is to trade the MP4-12C in on the P85D, thus wiping out sales tax on the P85D?

Well, not sure. I like this car a lot but it is not electric. Not that I am green, it is just that electric simply works better. I'll have the opportunity to drive a PD before mine comes in so I can make that call. The PD will likely be just as fast in the extreme and much faster on a day to day basis. Torque rules on the street.

If I do trade, I'm looking at saving $8K in taxes which will almost completely offset the difference in my buy to wholesale. If I put 2K on the 12C, the miles will be affordable.

I must live a charmed existence as I have three months of playing with the new toy before I have to make a decision :)