Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fed tax incentive comes into play when you're trying to look at it from the 2nd buyer's perspective. I can buy a new car for x, vs the used car for y. x=Selling price-$7500. The seller needs to price the vehicle at a point that is attractive to the buyer. y has to be less than x (y<x), otherwise the buyer might as well go buy a new car. So that's the starting point. If the incentive no longer exists, then it's a different ball game.

Also, it's quite possible that some people didn't qualify for the tax credit, so why should they be penalized in the trade-in price offer?

Certainly from the 2nd buyer's perspective comparing to the price of a new car, we see that everyday on TMC in the 'For Sale' forum... but for Tesla to deduct the tax credit from their offer prices just seems wrong to me. It's almost like they're taking the tax credit during the buy-back.. and then do they pass that along to the next buyer?

It's like an instant $7500 devaluation of the entire Model S used car market.

- - - Updated - - -

EVERYBODY!

I recommend going to CarMax, they gave me about 10k more than any dealer for trade ins

Is CarMax buying Teslas? There are any listed for sale on their website (nationally).

Hi, @lolachampcar,

At the risk of revisiting well-trodden ground, there are things I still don't understand about this approach to valuing the vehicle.

1. You subtract $17,500 for $1/mile depreciation, per your previous experiences with reselling vehicles. Then you subtract *another* $15,000 for Tesla's $1/mile depreciation. That looks like double-counting your mileage for depreciation purposes. How are these two things different?

2. You do *not* subtract Tesla's $1k/month for valuation purposes. Why not? (I confess that I wouldn't, but more on that in a moment.)
That confused me as well. I suspect #2 was supposed to be 15 mths @ $1,000 per month.

The good news is that we will now start to see what the outside market will bear, and maybe Tesla's pricing plan will turn out to be too conservative.

Also, it's quite possible that some people didn't qualify for the tax credit, so why should they be penalized in the trade-in price offer?

Certainly from the 2nd buyer's perspective comparing to the price of a new car, we see that everyday on TMC in the 'For Sale' forum... but for Tesla to deduct the tax credit from their offer prices just seems wrong to me. It's almost like they're taking the tax credit during the buy-back.. and then do they pass that along to the next buyer?

It's like an instant $7500 devaluation of the entire Model S used car market.

- - - Updated - - -

Is CarMax buying Teslas? There are any listed for sale on their website (nationally).

They onsell them to a different wholesaler.

To give a rough idea, my 2013 P85 fully loaded with 17000 miles got a Carmax offer of 81k.

Considering I bought it used from Tesla for 78k, (and I traded it in to Mercedes Benz for 86k)

A base MS85 after three years and 36K miles should be a great buy for whomever can grab one in good condition. Given the $1K/mo for the first say 2 yaers and $700/mo after that and roughly $1 per mile, that's a good aggregate. I used to tell people that the true cost of owning an EV is far more than the difference between Gas and Electricity.

My trade offer was $75,000 for my P85+ delivered June 2013 with a $114,000 MSRP.

A pretty sad offer since another luxury car dealer offered me $10k more. I feel there is a $10k margin that Tesla is making on these trades. Nothing wrong but I was hoping for a more competitive offer. This will certainly make me rethink my P85D order...

Mileage? Pretty close to what I own.

Are folks reporting inventory price, if that's how they got a car? It will totally confuse things, if these people report their delivery dates, while Tesla uses manufacturing dates that could be months earlier. It's also a bargaining advantage, you're giving up when Tesla knows what you have in. ...and they're going to know.

Most used car buyers (for all vehicles, not just Tesla) could care less how much the previous owner paid for their cars. They do not care if that owner got a great deal, or paid list. They do not care of there was a factory rebate or the dealership needed to sell just one more car to earn more holdback. They mostly compare the price of a used car to the price of a new one.

If a new car has gone way up in price, that will make the used one more valuable. If the new model is being sold cheaper, the used car will also be worth less.

If the new car gets better mileage (or range) the older one will suffer in price. If you can get a rebate or tax credit on a new car, but not used, that will make the used car worth less.

Higher mileage is worth less than lower mileage. Age goes against the price. Condition is a factor, but most all cars are detailed before sale. If the car has deferred maintenance or been damaged and repaired, than will lower the price.

In the case of a Tesla, even selling into an area with lots of Superchargers will make the car more valuable than if the new owner lives in a dead zone.

Having a local service facility and/or approved body shop will make the buyer more comfortable.

Most of all...supply and demand will play a role. In the past there were few model S's available used. People might even pay a premium to get one of the few available in preference to waiting for months and months to special order one. Now with so many people desiring to trade in their lightly used models to get one of the new dual motor versions, it would most likely put a downward pressure on used valuations.

I am in the market for a new dual motor Tesla, and it would take a significant discount from my net (after tax credits) price to entice me to buy a 13 or 14.

I corrected my post to reflect 1K/month instead of the $1/mile listed for the fifteen months of ownership.
As for deducting the $7500, the car cost me sticker plus tax minus the Federal Tax Credit. I do not consider tax in considering what I paid but I do include the credit. It effectively reduced the price by $7500 (minus having to pay tax on that $7500). In my case, my P+ cost me 99.5K. It is as simple as that.

All the rest of the discussion around value will be answered by what the market thinks the car is worth. We know what Tesla thinks and this will be less than a retail sale. What the MB or any other dealer will give me is not relevant as (1) you never know what the real price is of the item you are buying and (2) I have no interest in buying anything other than a Tesla which rules out trading in to another dealer.

I'll likely keep my car for at least two years to spread the depreciation out over a more reasonable time and let the current glut of P+s fade.

Last edited:
why re-think the order? why don't you just sell it to that car dealer??

I'm probably mistaken, but I feel Tesla should be offering closer to what other car dealers are offering. But I guess they know they will be buying a lot of Model S and have calculated the additional cost of their CPO program (ie. reconditioning, extra warranty, etc).

Right now, I decided to cancel my P85D order and will come back once I have a chance to drive the car.

I do not consider tax in considering what I paid but I do include the credit. It effectively reduced the price by $7500 (minus having to pay tax on that $7500). In my case, my P+ cost me 95.5K. It is as simple as that.

OK, that's a good example of what I don't comprehend. You don't count what the government (FL) taketh (sales tax) but do count what the government giveth (Feds, credit). Then you say your car cost 95.5K, and that's that. At the very least, I'd expect you to say that your car cost you 95.5K+FL_sales_tax. I still wouldn't agree with you, but I'd admire your consistency. :)

To manufacture another example... let's say that I respect your postings on TMC and the clarity you bring to so many issues(*). Out of that respect, I decide to send you a check for $30K towards your upcoming P85D(**).

Will you pay Tesla any less?

When you go to trade in your P85D to Tesla in a couple of years, will you accept a $30K reduction in their offer to you?

Alan

(*)True.
(**)Per some cosmological theories, could be true in an alternate universe. :)