Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered the P85D, got quote for Trade In. Trade In car is March delivery 2014 P85 with 8,000 miles, paid/list $112,700. Quote is for $80,000. So 7 months, 8k miles, $32,700 loss. Not to mention the new car list is $20k more than the current one...

They compute this as the paid price minus the federal and state tax rebates/credits, times 76%.

It would be great to see a different model for these trade-ins, instead of Tesla trying to make a healthy margin on these trade-ins they should only attempt to break even. By increasing the trade offers they themselves would be setting a floor price for used Teslas - in turn making their used inventory more valuable. Healthy trades would also encourage more traditional ICE buyers to make the plunge on a new Tesla knowing that the resale is healthy.

just seems the traditional dealer method of valuing trade-ins is a missed opportunity.

It would be great to see a different model for these trade-ins, instead of Tesla trying to make a healthy margin on these trade-ins they should only attempt to break even. By increasing the trade offers they themselves would be setting a floor price for used Teslas - in turn making their used inventory more valuable. Healthy trades would also encourage more traditional ICE buyers to make the plunge on a new Tesla knowing that the resale is healthy.

just seems the traditional dealer method of valuing trade-ins is a missed opportunity.

Totally agree with you Seesaw. This was an opportunity for Tesla to "think different" yet again and crush the competition. Instead they are following everyone else.

I suggest that you guys wait a bit before selling your cars. Some quotes are really low and you will be flooding the market with used Teslas.
I can't believe how things are going here after the new announcement. Something doesn't feel right...

Trade-in offer on my 2013 P85 with 12,000 miles, excellent condition. Original invoice was $94,000 (after $7500 tax credit). Currently, same car configured is $114,000 (after credit). Quote is $65,500.

We'll see how the second hand market is come December, but I'm likely to sell it private party.

I just realized that all of the potential trades discussed so far are P85's, with the occasional +. No S60's or S85's. Not sure why or what that means, but I thought it was interesting.

mine is an S85, I called Watertown today, was told the people in Natick work up the trade numbers.

well, no sooner than posting this, I was called back with the number:

original list - about $90K, had every option at the time, except paint protection and third row seat.
after federal tax credit, price was $82.5K

trade in offer with 21,000 miles and 22 months old: $55,000

thanked them and I suggested I would probably wait for improved seats in the non "P" version, or until the end of 2015 and get a Model X (he suggested Model X orders placed soon might be deliverable as soon as the end of 2015). I'm also not up to being a "beta tester" again..

Last edited:
Asked for a value on Friday. They are meant to get back to me tomorrow. P85, April delivery, 3500 mileage. Tint and opti added (taking my front camera and 9500ci with me!). Will let the group know as soon as I have a firm price.

I just realized that all of the potential trades discussed so far are P85's, with the occasional +. No S60's or S85's. Not sure why or what that means, but I thought it was interesting.

What it means is that we owners of lower end models likely didn't buy top of the line because it was either out of our budget, or pushing it darned close. I wouldn't have bought a 60 if I could afford a P+, so racing to buy a D is not something I'll be doing. I presume that goes for a lot (most?) of the S60 and S85 owners.

It means owners of P85 cars are less likely to be price sensitive and more likely to want whatever is top of the line at that moment. I expect the P85Ds being bought to replace these cars won't last long either with their original owners if another big update comes along in a year or two. Nothing wrong with that, the highest end is where Tesla has it's biggest profit margin, but I think most of us with plain old 60s and 85s will be happily driving them for many more years.