Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lithium ion battery have two largely independent modes of degrading: per-cycle and calendar time. That's why the following paragraph from a Fred Lambert article this morning at Electrek is off-kilter:

No, it doesn't mean that at all. After 25 years of calendar degradation you will almost certainly lose far more than ~5% even if you never cycle the battery.
Expecting a blog to get this right is probably asking for too much

Apple apologizes for throttling older iPhone models, cuts $50 off battery replacement program
Awesome, I'll definitely be taking advantage of this offer. I have to charge my iPhone 6 about three times a day. Looks like I have to wait till end of January for some reason. Maybe Apple could give us a choice, like Tesla does, to choose the max charge percentage, and maybe even the charge rate. It would be interesting to see if the degradation was greatly reduced if the battery was only charged to 80 or 90% everyday.

Awesome, I'll definitely be taking advantage of this offer. I have to charge my iPhone 6 about three times a day. Looks like I have to wait till end of January for some reason. Maybe Apple could give us a choice, like Tesla does, to choose the max charge percentage, and maybe even the charge rate. It would be interesting to see if the degradation was greatly reduced if the battery was only charged to 80 or 90% everyday.
You can use an older USB - 110v adapter that puts out only .5A I use one at work and with me using the phone it never charges it up all the way. iPhone 6.

I've always wished they would come right out and say something. I dont *need* to charge to 80% every day. So if it's better to do 70%, sign me up.

Have to disagree somewhat here, no one in this day and age can really claim ignorance about the behavior of batteries in general and lithium ion batteries in particular. All batteries degrade with time and use. The issue in this case is that Tesla representatives specifically told some customers before purchase that fast charging would not speed up degradation when in fact the opposite was true.

another issue is that it will affect resale value for tesla owners. people will want to know how many times cars have been supercharged and that was never disclosed as a possible value variable. i think tesla should step up and warranty the battery when it reaches a certain number of supercharges. i believe a slight battery degradation was common knowledge but this slower supercharging rate which will adversely affect resale value was not disclosed upfront. tesla's battery warranty was one of the reasons i felt safe buying this vehicle.

another issue is that it will affect resale value for tesla owners. people will want to know how many times cars have been supercharged and that was never disclosed as a possible value variable. i think tesla should step up and warranty the battery when it reaches a certain number of supercharges. i believe a slight battery degradation was common knowledge but this slower supercharging rate which will adversely affect resale value was not disclosed upfront. tesla's battery warranty was one of the reasons i felt safe buying this vehicle.
With ICE vehicles you can't tell how the previous owner broke it in, and that can make a substantial difference in power or MPG. We're talking a smaller difference than that here.

With ICE vehicles you can't tell how the previous owner broke it in, and that can make a substantial difference in power or MPG. We're talking a smaller difference than that here.

that is an interesting comparison but
i still believe tesla needs to act here. i see similarities with the iphone "feature" of slowing down processors on older phones with degraded batteries. the claim of better user experience (avoiding crashes, better battery life) was rejected by the community as a whole and apple decided to replace batteries for a nominal charge of 29 vs 79 dollars. the backlash to the non transparency and the spin on trying to improve user experience did not work. i don't think it will work with tesla either.

Go look at the link a few pages back for data from A Better Route Planner on actual charge rates. All of the battery sizes have a normal charging curve, and there is more area under the 90 and 100 curves than the 85 curve. But all of the battery sizes have outliers with low charge rate. If Tesla wants to make users happier they will likely do so by finding better ways to solve the problems that cause 50kW Supercharging, since that makes for a huge difference in stop time. The difference between 90 and 95 in the first few minutes of charge is trivial in comparison.

Completely a fair point that I had never even considered. However, I will say this in rebuttal; no production car to date has had the level of detail/diagnostics/monitoring that a Tesla has. With that lifetime of data collection, the conclusions to reduce charging levels based on certain metrics, needs to be transparent moving forward.

Whereas in the past, we just couldn't know how much HP was lost to cylinder wear without a dyno, now we have the information to tell an owner, "this is your 301st time supercharging, you should know that all further supercharging sessions will take you an extra 7min now". Unpopular? Probably. Informative? Yes, because then you empower the owner to make different choices if they need to. And one of those choices may be, "I'm going to buy the 100kwh battery because it has less issues with this problem, or higher tolerances for other problems."

I could see having a "battery health" number exposed on a service screen. Perhaps a score out of a hundred. But given the number of gasoline cars I hear knocking because people put regular in them when they require premium, I'm pretty sure anything front and center is going to confuse and/or annoy most owners. Remember that we are the weird ones.

I could see having a "battery health" number exposed on a service screen. Perhaps a score out of a hundred. But given the number of gasoline cars I hear knocking because people put regular in them when they require premium, I'm pretty sure anything front and center is going to confuse and/or annoy most owners. Remember that we are the weird ones.
Simple "health" adjustment in the resale price?

I was getting such slow SC rates over the past month that I took it in to determine whether my 70D had been throttled (it wasn't). The service guy said that many SC's on the east coast had been reduced to 75% output. That said, I think my top rate of 65 KW is still not easily explained.

That's what I was getting until they fixed my passenger side cooling louver which was stuck closed.

Makes sense to me that as batteries degrade all their properties degrade. Not just storage capacity. Capacity, charge rate, discharge rate, etc. Batteries wear out -- this isn't something you need to be an engineer to understand.

The way I see it, Tesla has to limit charge rate as batteries degrade. If they simply let their Supercharger fry your battery they'd be in the wrong. They'd be providing a service that damages your property. Tesla has always taken the stance that the car will protect its battery based on different conditions. See: supercharger taper; limits on charge, discharge, and regen based on SoC and temp; etc. Sucks that this has to happen to max charging speed as well, and that they didn't disclose it up front, but limits on charging speed based on battery wear seem reasonable to me. Will they make an effort to educate customers that this can/will happen? Probably not. Tesla isn't in the habit of being forthright like that, which sucks.

My reduced charging has nothing to do with degradation. At 50K miles my max power @90% with max battery on is still 458KW (1535 amps x 298 volts) which is the same it was when I got the Ludicrous upgrade at 18K miles and I was still getting the full charge taper. Clearly my internal resistance hasn't increased enough to cause a loss in power.

Last edited:
My reduced charging has nothing to do with degradation. At 50K miles my max power @90% with max battery on is still 458KW (1535 amps x 298 volts) which is the same it was when I got the Ludicrous upgrade at 18K miles and I was still getting the full charge taper. Clearly my IR hasn't been reduced enough to cause a loss in power.

How do you know? Do all of those properties degrade at the same, proportional rate? I could see capacity, charge rate and discharge rate degrading at different rates. Perhaps Tesla allows greater degradation for high power discharge, as a remedy for past complaints about power limiting. Or allows higher rates because max discharge only happens for a few seconds at a time as opposed to charging which happens for potentially dozens of minutes. Who knows how it actually works? (rhetorical, because no one outside of Tesla has this info).