Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO it is fraudulent for Tesla to use software to limit car performance or charging to save on warranty claims. They need to either establish policies at the sale of the car, or "suck it up" and pay for replacement parts on users that need it.

Tesla doesn't warranty range or guarantee in fine print a supercharging rate so I don't see this as committing fraud here. They are trying to protect the OP's range even though it's not warranted. I suspect this is from an abundance of caution to the pack since putting large batteries in cars and fast charging them has never been done before ever.

I hope Tesla learns the limits and posts them but 310+ DC/supercharges in 30,000 miles / 1 year is likely a first. How many of you will do 310+ in 5 years much less in 1 year?

Also try to find a gas car with unlimited miles warranty on the power train. It won't happen. This is new. Learning is involved. I agree it isn't ideal and needs more research but neither are most things.

This might be related. There was an article about the limo service called Tesloop that racked up 200k miles in about one year time using only Superchargers. Tesla said they lost some capacity as the battery gauge doesn't account correctly for the change happening in the cells with that much use. They claimed it was all good, but then replaced the entire battery pack anyways just to be safe. And that made me suspicious. First they say it's all good and degradation is within normal and just the software needs to be adjusted to correctly deal with high use batteries, but then they replace it.

Tesloop is using their cars almost 24/7 and it would be bad publicity if they start talking about reduced charge rates and unusual degradation. I believe Tesla gave them a 'new' battery as a proactive measure.

They are throttling you for mainly using a Chademo which itself is a throttled Supercharger, That shouldn't count
Once again, I feel the need to point out that we cannot assume it has to do with a counter on the number of DC fast charges. It could very well be more complicated than that. Maybe it's a ratio. In that case, someone could charge 3000 DC fast charges but in the context of 300,000 AC(-DC) slow charges. None of us know, which is my biggest complaint here. People jump to personally satisfying conclusions in the vacuum of facts.

I won't change anything, but I'm not someone who almost exclusively charges with CHAdeMO or Superchargers. I absolutely understand that those who require those types of chargers on daily commutes have valid concerns.

This seems more reasonable of a conclusion to draw: Tesla adds silicone and Elon says they are taking "baby steps" in doing so; they learn the silicone causes faster degradation when fast charging, and that the old chemistry works better. After they learn this, all vehicles produced use the old chemistry, as will the Model 3. Hence, this affects less than 1%.
And to me, the "less than 1%" number just means how many people have this particular style of charging usage. If it's a ratio, if it's a count, if it's a "time spent above X".. who knows. But I think that's where the (less than) 1% number comes from. My guess.

• Love
Reactions: NerdUno and Ulmo
This might be related. There was an article about the limo service called Tesloop that racked up 200k miles in about one year time using only Superchargers. Tesla said they lost some capacity as the battery gauge doesn't account correctly for the change happening in the cells with that much use. They claimed it was all good, but then replaced the entire battery pack anyways just to be safe. And that made me suspicious. First they say it's all good and degradation is within normal and just the software needs to be adjusted to correctly deal with high use batteries, but then they replace it.

Tesloop is using their cars almost 24/7 and it would be bad publicity if they start talking about reduced charge rates and unusual degradation. I believe Tesla gave them a 'new' battery as a proactive measure.
I imagine it is related to high IR and their BMS not being tuned to it. Tesla probably doesn't have many examples of packs in this condition, so it makes sense to me for them to take it back to study it further (and maybe use it to adjust their BMS algorithms).

Reactions: David99 and Ulmo
This isn't the first time or first issue where we have heard non-transparent, misleading, vague responses from Tesla. The 694 HP issue, 2015 90D's rapid range loss, Josh Brown NHTSA incident, AP1 and 2 persistant problems, the Model X rollout, and "countergate" are all examples of this. They really need to get their act together before the M3 comes out. Who else but us would put up with this stuff?
I think people would feel better with honest, straightforward communication than what we have seen lately.
You are conflating stuff together. I think you are wrong to do that. but regardless, I wrote that post to summarize the thread for someone. This thread is NOT about all of those things, it is about 1 thing. Give it a rest. There are about 5 million posts about those other things, do we really need to re-litigate all of that? If you don't like Tesla, don't buy a car from them.

You are conflating stuff together. I think you are wrong to do that. but regardless, I wrote that post to summarize the thread for someone. This thread is NOT about all of those things, it is about 1 thing. Give it a rest. There are about 5 million posts about those other things, do we really need to re-litigate all of that? If you don't like Tesla, don't buy a car from them.
Don't take it personally. My point wasn't to relitigate any of those things there's a common thread in those topics that you may miss if your too far in the weeds. When I bought my car Tesla was a completely different company. They were customer centric and you could trust what they said. My point is they need to get better quickly.

Reactions: NerdUno
And to me, the "less than 1%" number just means how many people have this particular style of charging usage. If it's a ratio, if it's a count, if it's a "time spent above X".. who knows. But I think that's where the (less than) 1% number comes from. My guess.

You're probably right. My guess is bias since if it only applies to the 90 batteries with silicon added, then it doesn't affect me.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
I charge exclusively at Superchargers. I live in Hong Kong and have no access to home charging in my parking garage so use one of the many superchargers that Tesla built in Hong Kong on a weekly basis to charge my 60D to 100% (usually from 20-30%). I know many other drivers in Hong Kong do the same so it will be interesting to see if warranty claims on the battery are made in c. 7 years due to too much supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and David99
I think this is frightening people unnecessarily

I think most would agree that it's not up to any one of us to decide which facts to share and which not. It is also presumptuous to assume that novice Tesla owners are not smart enough to do their own research and to draw conclusions themselves. It's not that hard to guess whether you fall into that "less than 1%" category.

Reactions: Naonak
Don't take it personally. My point wasn't to relitigate any of those things there's a common thread in those topics that you may miss if your too far in the weeds. When I bought my car Tesla was a completely different company. They were customer centric and you could trust what they said. My point is they need to get better quickly.
Not taking personally. I think each thing on your list is different. You and others are conflating. For example Josh brown. Exactly how do you figure Tesla handled that wrong? Regardless, they are the same company they were when they shipped me an A pack in 2012, realized how to make it better, and superseded it on others shipped the same week. Nothing has changed. I hated that, but saw it in perspective of how much they just have to do on the fly in order to deliver the innovation and incorporate what they learn along the way. For legal reasons they cannot be as forthcoming as we want them to be (and I imagine theyd like to be). They can't buy a new battery for everyone unhappy about ~5 minutes. So it comes down to this... you can either handle the innovation ride or you can't. If you can't, don't buy the car. Because that's the ride we are on.

Last edited:
Regen is also going to be a short amount of time. You are also moving when on regen, so the cooling system would be a lot more effective and there would also be airflow under the battery.

Ok. Well a couple things. Are we sure this effect is related to the thermals? The cooling system really doesn't have much trouble keeping up with the heat generated by the cells even in warm weather. I suspect it could be something else related to the C rate and the first gen silicon cells.

Also, yes regen is for a short period, but it accumulates. For my car I wouldn't be surprised if I regen'ed at 60 kw more than I supercharged at 60+ kw for the life of the car.

I charge exclusively at Superchargers. I live in Hong Kong and have no access to home charging in my parking garage so use one of the many superchargers that Tesla built in Hong Kong on a weekly basis to charge my 60D to 100% (usually from 20-30%). I know many other drivers in Hong Kong do the same so it will be interesting to see if warranty claims on the battery are made in c. 7 years due to too much supercharging.
Sound like these types of warranty claims are exactly what tesla is trying to prevent. What will be more interesting is if you see lots of slower supercharging in the future

To be honest I don't see this applying here. Almost all Chaedmo stations I encounter are capped at 50 kw. That is even less than 60 kw standard regen. If Tesla is counsidering this in the algorithm, then they will also need to have a regen counter since, by extension, this would also be impacting pack health.

No because regen lacks the extended time component of charging. My speculation is that the 50kW Chademo is a high enough rate that extended time charging at that level causes issues. Short bursts of regen would not.

Not taking personally. I think each thing on your list is different. You and others are conflating. For example Josh brown. Exactly how do you figure Tesla handled that wrong? Regardless, they are the same company they were when they shipped me an A pack in 2012, realized how to make it better, and superseded it on others shipped the same week. Nothing has changed. I hated that, but saw it in perspective of how much they just have to do on the fly in order to deliver the innovation and incorporate what they learn along the way. For legal reasons they cannot be as forthcoming as we want them to be (and I imagine theyd like to be). They can't buy a new battery for everyone unhappy about ~5 minutes. So it comes down to this... you can either handle the innovation ride or you can't. If you can't, don't buy the car. Because that's the ride we are on.
I'm not going to rehash Josh Brown or the "5 million posts" as you phrased it. They're there for all to see. Obviously there wouldn't be so many if all is well. I bought the car, (which I love more than any car I've ever owned) put down a deposit on a M3 and bought stock several years ago. I'll probably cancel the M3 because I am losing confidence in both Elon and Tesla due to all those things mentioned. I can handle the innovation but in case you haven't noticed the newer people are getting more and more demanding and less and less tolerant than we are and I doubt Tesla, in its' current state, can support 500k new demanding angry owners per year.