Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm on 2018.21.9 and I'm getting ZERO Nags...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there seems to be an unending flood of threads where people can't seem to stop whining about being nagged, I thought I'd start one for those of us who can follow directions and are getting zero nags...

2018.21.9 - 500-1000 miles of AP1 driving, zero nags. Not one.

Look, I know this is a ridiculously stupid thread but so are the near dozen "AP Sucks" threads... I get some of you are having issues with the wheel sensing torque which very well could indicate you have a hardware issue. Those of you who just don't want to put a hand on the wheel I feel absolutely no sympathy for you. None. AP1/2/2.5 is NOT autonomous driving, it's a driving assistant system.

If people would stop doing stupid crap while using AP then all of you affected wouldn't have to suffer but until that time, just use the feature correctly and you'll be fine.

Jeff

I'll have service check it next time I have the car in, but I doubt they will "fix" the torque sensing.

I have no sympathy for people who don't hold the wheel, just as I don't have sympathy for people who are not watching the road while in AP mode. IMHO, all the AP accidents so far would have been avoided it the driver was paying even partial attention to the road.

I do have sympathy for people like myself who do and still get nagged. It's annoying because I am watching the road and holding the wheel, and now I'm distracted by a flashing while light on the dash which forces me to tug unnaturally on the wheel so I can continue using AP.

@jeffro01 what is your steering setting at? Sport, Normal, Comfort (I think those are the choices). I wonder if that setting makes a difference in torque sensing.

That would explain a lot. The majority of the people who have filed complaints *have their hand(s) on the wheel* and now get 10x the nags they got previously.

It's simply not an acceptable "solution" when the driver's eyes are taken *off* the road due to poor monitoring. In this case, it appears that both the algorithm and the "torque sensing" are not up to the task.

Not once in 50,000+ miles post-advent of AS (early 2015) with AP1 did I lose AS due to "AP jail". Now especially with this miserable *21.9 failure (call it what you like, but when Elon tweets that there's a fix coming, obviously there's a problem), AP jail looms large constantly. Again - that's *with my hand(s) on the wheel*.

Unacceptable.

If the nags were in my field of vision (HUD, anyone?), that would be better. Best would be having sensors that actually detected hands on the wheel when they're on the wheel. Imagine that.

I’ve been using comfort and never a problem. Credible reports from a few though have convinced me that AP has indeed gone wonky for some after the install.

Advice: First try a reboot. If still failing and the nag can’t be cleared with a single finger on the spoke at 3 or 9 o’clock, turn AutoSteer off and back on again in settings. I have seen where a toggle of summon was needed when it went totally brain dead and nothing worked. It’s worth the few minutes to try, and takes less time than reading through the many threads about “nags.”

AP1 owners who still expect to be less safe and keep their hands off the wheel for extended periods of time will not be happy, but those on the road with then will be, IMO.

Now especially with this miserable *21.9 failure (call it what you like, but when Elon tweets that there's a fix coming, obviously there's a problem), AP jail looms large constantly. Again - that's *with my hand(s) on the wheel*.

What fix did he tweet out? Only thing I saw when I was reading up yesterday is that they are going to fix the message. Meaning, instead of "Hold steering wheel" it will say something to the effect of "Turn steering wheel slightly to apply torque".

Reactions: d21mike
Final thought: If rebooting or toggling AS doesn’t work, toggle AP. Reason being, I remember a long time ago reading (@verygreen maybe?) AP keeps some persistent data about AP between installs. I think it was camera calibration as best I recall, but there may be other data as well. Toggling AP might trash the data and start anew, but it might mean another calibration for those who have gotten same. I’ve never received a calibration message or delay. I guess my camera is correctly aligned.

I’ve been using comfort and never a problem. Credible reports from a few though have convinced me that AP has indeed gone wonky for some after the install.

Advice: First try a reboot. If still failing and the nag can’t be cleared with a single finger on the spoke at 3 or 9 o’clock, turn AutoSteer off and back on again in settings. I have seen where a toggle of summon was needed when it went totally brain dead and nothing worked. It’s worth the few minutes to try, and takes less time than reading through the many threads about “nags.”

AP1 owners who still expect to be less safe and keep their hands off the wheel for extended periods of time will not be happy, but those on the road with then will be, IMO.

I have it in sport.