Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IMPORTANT: New Model S torque specification for mounting wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you know, I had my tires rotated early last week (by tesla) and ever since then I feel like my MS is 'sticking to the road' better. It's pretty noticeable. I feel a lot less like I'm "gliding around". I wonder if its due to them tightening the bolts.

Same here! I took my S in to have the rear seats installed and asked to have the tires rotated. But here is what they did:

1. Rotated Tires (presumably using new torque spec)
2. Applied TSB fix that included a spacer or something in the rear suspension. (I believe - going by memory waiting on emailed summary)
3. Set tire pressure properly (I admit I haven't been taking the time to check pressure and since realtime pressures are not reported...)

Anyway, the result is that rock solid road feel is back!

It probably doesn't matter much, since the two numbers are so close, but page 19 of the Model S Safety Information booklet, available at https://www.teslamotors.com/mytesla/manuals/, says 175 Nm.
Thanks, yme. I went looking for this in the other PDFs the other day but somehow forgot to look in this one.

My version of the PDF from 2012/09/21 says the following on "PDF page 20" / "labeled page 18":
Road wheel nut torque: 175 Nm (129 lbf.ft)

Wheel lug nuts must be torqued to 170 nm / 125 ft-lb!

I noticed a recent service bulletin from Tesla, recommending an increase in the wheel lug nut torque to 170 nm / 125 ft-lb. This is a lot and I can’t help thinking if this could be a concern, especially when changing to 3rd party rims?

After all, will a standard aluminum rim take that kind of pressure (you would usually see this for an SUV with a steel rim)?

And what about bolts and lug nuts holding up? I see the bolt/mutter dim specs are 14x1,50 which is fairly heavy duty, but I also see others generally recommending around 105 ft-lb for this 14x1,5 spec.

I still have not received my MS (expected delivery in Denmark is Oct/Nov), but I see several pictures in this forum of very nice 3rd party wheels on MS. Have you torqued to these new specifications and have you had any issues? Have you been able to torque anti-theft lug nuts to 125 ft-lb!? Have you been able to get the wheels off again, after a while with corrosion?

Have you torqued to these new specifications and have you had any issues? Have you been able to torque anti-theft lug nuts to 125 ft-lb!? Have you been able to get the wheels off again, after a while with corrosion?

Yes. I have had no issues with my aftermarket wheels conforming to Tesla spec. I rotaed my tires about 4k miles ago and I had no issues. Of course I had to work a little harder to get the lugs off but that is it. I also use gorilla anti-theft lugs.

100 foot pounds of torque is more than enough to hold the wheels on. I rotate my own tires on my Model S (P85), and 100 foot pounds is what I use and have had no problem with loose lugs after miles of use on the road.

Bolts are not just torqued to prevent loosening. Torquing preloads the bolt so that the cyclic working stress does not exceed the preload and cause or accelerate fatigue failure. Bolts can fail from under tightening just as easily as from over tightening. Cornering loads would cyclic for lug studs/bolts.

Bolted joint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Call me old-fashioned, but I follow the manufacturer's specification because, well, it is manufacturer's specification and what they use. It has been noted that some manufacturers (Chevy Camaro, for example) use even more torque.

There are a few threads where this has been discussed. Here's one:

It was also discussed in the 19" Lugano wheel thread:
19 Turbine Wheel Solution - Page 11

And a few others, such as what equipment you should have for your garage, etc...

The spec has been 125 ft-lbs since the Signatures shipped - I was given the 170 nm / 125 ft-lb spec in December.

Call me old-fashioned, but I follow the manufacturer's specification because, well, it is manufacturer's specification and what they use. It has been noted that some manufacturers (Chevy Camaro, for example) use even more torque.

There are a few threads where this has been discussed. Here's one:

It was also discussed in the 19" Lugano wheel thread:
19 Turbine Wheel Solution - Page 11

And a few others, such as what equipment you should have for your garage, etc...

The spec has been 125 ft-lbs since the Signatures shipped - I was given the 170 nm / 125 ft-lb spec in December.

+1. Also, a liability consideration- just suppose you lose a wheel causing an accident. Your insurance company may not look kindly on an intentional deviation from the manufacturers guidelines.

100 foot pounds of torque is more than enough to hold the wheels on. I rotate my own tires on my Model S (P85), and 100 foot pounds is what I use and have had no problem with loose lugs after miles of use on the road.

On a family sedan, sure. On a 4600 lb. sports sedan--not very likely. You really, really, don't want the bolts to snap during an emergency maneuver--even in a Model S, doing the bounce is no fun. The Corvette wheels are torqued even higher.

I had the bolts snap on a utility trailer hauling about 4000 lbs of oak wood. 60 mph down the freeway going around a corner and all the sudden my right trailer wheel was passing me and I was stopping like I had just made a carrier landing. I had enough momentum to get everything to the side of the road, but the trailer left about a 1" deep gash in the road to where I stopped. I had to hike 1/2 mile down a ravine to get the wheel and tire that passed me! I will make sure that my lugs are torqued properly on every wheel I own from now on.

I just emailed ownership and got this reply (in less than an hour! Date: August 26, 2013), with differing specs for 19" and 21" wheels.

==========
Per your request, I’ve included the Model S Wheel/Tire specifications below:

Lug bolt torque:

19'' wheel: 105 Nm / 80 lb/ft
21'' wheel: 175Nm / 132 lb/ft

Lug nut size: M14 x 1.5

19'' wheel size: 19'' x 8.0''
21'' wheel size: 21'' x 8.5''
21'' performance wheel size: 21'' x 8.5''

Hub bolt pattern: 5 x 120mm
Offset: ET41
==============

Interesting, that is the first time I've seen/heard different torque specs for different wheels.

FWIW my 19" (aftermarket) wheels were torqued to 129ftlbs when they were at the service center less than 2 weeks ago.

I just emailed ownership and got this reply (in less than an hour! Date: August 26, 2013), with differing specs for 19" and 21" wheels.

==========

Lug bolt torque:

==============

==========

Lug bolt torque:

==============

This is very surprising. The service centers have been calling for the same torque setting for both 21 & 19 inch wheels. I suggest giving your regional service center a call to verify the 19 inch setting.