Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IMPORTANT: New Model S torque specification for mounting wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just emailed ownership and got this reply (in less than an hour! Date: August 26, 2013), with differing specs for 19" and 21" wheels.

==========
Per your request, I’ve included the Model S Wheel/Tire specifications below:

Lug bolt torque:

19'' wheel: 105 Nm / 80 lb/ft
21'' wheel: 175Nm / 132 lb/ft

Lug nut size: M14 x 1.5

19'' wheel size: 19'' x 8.0''
21'' wheel size: 21'' x 8.5''
21'' performance wheel size: 21'' x 8.5''

Hub bolt pattern: 5 x 120mm
Offset: ET41
==============

I don't mean to create more confusion, but according to the Boston area service center, this is what is showing up in their digital manual. The service manager said that this is a recently released manual, and he said he would be very surprised if the spec had changed already.

Size
Base/Aero
8.0 x 19
Premium/Performance
8.5 x 21
Road wheel nut torque
175 Nm - 129 lb.ft

Both size wheels use the same torque spec.

I rerwote ownership to ask them to ensure they have accurate data, and indeed the original email I got from them was INCORRECT, and the currently stated 175 Nm/129 lbft is CORRECT for BOTH wheels.

Sorry for any confusion introduced into the forum -- I think in the end, it was worth making sure Tesla ownership has updated and uniform communications for this safety-critical information.

Here's the quote from ownership:
Thank you for your follow-up. I conferred with our service teams in the field and they did confirm that the correct torque specification for the vehicle is 175Nm or 129lb/ft of torque for both wheels. All service centers in the field have been following this protocol, but our internal database was not reflecting this correctly. I apologize for the confusion, I will update our database to ensure that the correct data is reflected for all communications in the future.

Can somebody please tell me why TM changed/increased the wheel torque spec to 129 ft Lb?

129 ft lb is very high for a sedan. Even GTR wheels are only at 100 ft lb. What was previous lower torque causing?

Thanks

Can somebody please tell me why TM changed/increased the wheel torque spec to 129 ft Lb?

129 ft lb is very high for a sedan. Even GTR wheels are only at 100 ft lb. What was previous lower torque causing?

The high torque of the motor, plus the weight of the car, plus the surface area of the nuts. The Corvette has even higher torque specs. it was changed shortly after the Model S started shipping.

Okay, I have two admittedly ignorant questions:

- Should I jack up the wheel before applying torque?
- Does Tesla use reversed threads on one side (and if so, which one?)

No need to jack up the wheel, and no, there are no reversed threads. I don't think even Chrysler does that anymore.

If you're rotating the tires, you want enough torque to seat the nuts properly (50 ft. lbs or so) before lowering them to the ground and then finish torquing on the ground using the star pattern and two levels first ~90 ft.lbs. and then finish at 129 ft.lbs. Check the torque again between 300-500 miles.

a lower torque won't necessarily mean your wheel is going to go flying off. but it sure as hell will warp the rotors.

Sounds like you are very confident about your statement so do you have any reference article or professional paper about lower torque causes warped rotors?

When I google I only find over torquing (may) causes warped rotor.

Thanks