Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IMPORTANT: New Model S torque specification for mounting wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had always heard it was uneven torquing that could cause rotor warping...

Thanks. Uneven torquing did come up on my google search but were not professional reference/opinions.

@yobigd20: Please provide your reference.

I am trying to get professional reference/opinion on the relationship between wheel torque and warped rotor.

I emailed Brembo and Stoptech but no reply. I guess I can always ask them at SEMA.

Brembo replied: In summary, over torque can cause rotor issue while under torque can cause the nut/bolt to come off. So I guess all the comments about lower torque causes warped rotors are just BS?

"The use of a tightening torque smaller than the prescribed can lead to loosening the screws, while the use of a higher torque can lead to a deformation or a breaking risk."

Last edited:
At my last service I asked them to torque my wheels to factory spec. For P85DL with 21" wheels it's apparently now increased to 135 ft lbs (183 N m).

image.jpeg

Thanks. Uneven torquing did come up on my google search but were not professional reference/opinions.

@yobigd20: Please provide your reference.

I am trying to get professional reference/opinion on the relationship between wheel torque and warped rotor.

I emailed Brembo and Stoptech but no reply. I guess I can always ask them at SEMA.

Brembo replied: In summary, over torque can cause rotor issue while under torque can cause the nut/bolt to come off. So I guess all the comments about lower torque causes warped rotors are just BS?

"The use of a tightening torque smaller than the prescribed can lead to loosening the screws, while the use of a higher torque can lead to a deformation or a breaking risk."

Brembo is assuming the torque is even. If you don't check the torque at about 80 km and then again at 800 km, the torque may not be even. Under or over, if it's not even, the rotors can warp.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I have to mention that brake rotor warping due to lug nut torque being uneven is strictly a one piece rotor problem. Two piece rotors are mechanically disconnected from the center carrier to prevent heat transfer and stress from the rotor to the center. Which also goes the other way, the center carrier does not stress the rotor.