Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IMPORTANT: New Model S torque specification for mounting wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mknox:

What does Rolls / Bentley have to do with ModelS?? Does TM tell you what to do with your Bentley?? If you have no clue, please take it to TM Shop!! Have it done right.

Just that these are also heavy, high power cars. BTW, I have torqued mine to Tesla's specs, but they were already set pretty close by either the factory or the SC where I took delivery.

I think your switchover date is incorrect, or they were looking in a place that was horribly wrong. When my TPMS sensors were fixed in December, the St. Louis service manager gave me the spec that's been on my wheel torque wrench since that day - 129 ft lbs. He looked it up in a service manual that was clearly marked "DRAFT".

I don't really know precisely when the factory announced the new spec, but clearly not all the service centers picked up on it at the same time. Boston service gave me the old spec in mid-March. Now that all the service centers have moved over to a new database, coordination should be a lot tighter.

I believe the service centers and rangers are making a point of checking every Model S they encounter, just to make sure they are up to the new spec. (175N.m. or 129 lb/ft) If you received your car prior to March, I recommend getting it checked if you have not been in for service. If you feel your car wandering at all under full acceleration, it is likely that your wheels need to be re-torqued, even if they were set to the new spec. This was the most obvious difference when I re-torqued mine recently. Now the car is dead-on. Huge difference.

- - - Updated - - -

> This is nonsense - the spec was 125 lb/ft since last summer. You begin a thread based on a strawman.
--

Kindly read the above.

OK, two silly questions:

1. Can someone please recommend a good choice in torque wrenches? Won't be used for anything but checking car wheels every so often.

2. Where's my Model S toolkit stored in the car? Is there one? I haven't found it either in the car, or any mention of it in the owner's documentation (yes, I looked). If there isn't one, then what size adapter is required for the torque wrench to fit the lugs?

Thanks. :)

At the behest of this thread, I checked my lug nuts today. They were fine but I thought I noticed that the nuts were chrome sheet-metal covered type. I pulled one all the way off and sure enough they are. This type of lug nut is nothing less than an abomination. Even if they never see an impact driver, at the high recommended torque, the sheet-metal wrapper will fairly soon distort and wedge in even 6 point sockets and/or the sheet-metal will peel away completely, leaving a lug nut of no usable size. This will not be toqueable by any socket neither english nor metric. This will happen fairly soon for those switching between wheels seasonally. Please Tesla, if possible change production to a solid chrome plated lug nut or at least make a proper fitting solid nut available as an accessory. There are few thing more frustrating to an auto tech than dealing with these type nuts!

OK, two silly questions:

1. Can someone please recommend a good choice in torque wrenches? Won't be used for anything but checking car wheels every so often.

2. Where's my Model S toolkit stored in the car? Is there one? I haven't found it either in the car, or any mention of it in the owner's documentation (yes, I looked). If there isn't one, then what size adapter is required for the torque wrench to fit the lugs?

Thanks. :)

I agree with Jerry on this choice, especially for a car of this value...

Mac Tools Online Store - 1/2 Drive, Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench - 30-150 ft./lbs.

This type of torque wrench will click when the desired torque is reached. It's easier and more accurate than the type with the visible scale on the side. For the Model S, you'll need a 21mm socket. I recommend using a protective socket, covered in plastic so it won't mar your beautiful wheels. Here's a set them...

ToolKing.com: Astro Pneumatic 7835 1/2-inch Drive Impact Wheel Socket Set - 5-Piece

And you also might want to pick up a 6-inch socket extension (1/2" drive) so that your torque wrench will be back further from the wheel. (Available at any auto parts store.) This also gives you a place to put your other hand, so you can get uniform pressure. (Pull up on the 6" extension while pushing down on the torque wrench.) I suggest checking your wheels about every 5K miles, maybe more often if you're a lead foot! NEVER USE A TORQUE WRENCH TO LOOSEN YOUR LUG NUTS. Use a 1/2" breaker bar instead, another auto parts store item.

There is no tool kit in the Model S. Although, Tesla's tire repair kit might not be a bad thing to have on board.

-------------

UPDATE: Check Thumper and Jerry33's comments below regarding torque wrench selection. I'm no expert. I have a torque wrench that I purchased through Griots about ten years ago for around $250. It's a high quality click-type. I periodically check it against other recently calibrated wrenches. Seems to be holding its own, although it's had very light use.

Last edited:
The click type torque wrenches are notoriously inaccurate especially the cheapies. Even good ones will loose accuracy with much use as they rely on ball sliding off a ramp against spring pressure for the setting. As the ramp wears the accuracy changes. You can compensate by checking it against a known quality torque wrench and then using the adjusted figure on your click style wrench.

I agree with Jerry on this choice, especially for a car of this value...

Mac Tools Online Store - 1/2 Drive, Micrometer Adjustable Torque Wrench - 30-150 ft./lbs.

My thought was that the average owner is going to have most work done at the Tesla service centre and only needs the wrench as a back-up to check what the tire store did (notoriously inaccurate is the correct phrase here, like Thumper says) after a flat repair and for the 50 mile check. For those that do more, the Mac or Snap-on are far better--provided you get the annual calibration done.

At the behest of this thread, I checked my lug nuts today. They were fine but I thought I noticed that the nuts were chrome sheet-metal covered type. I pulled one all the way off and sure enough they are. This type of lug nut is nothing less than an abomination. Even if they never see an impact driver, at the high recommended torque, the sheet-metal wrapper will fairly soon distort and wedge in even 6 point sockets and/or the sheet-metal will peel away completely, leaving a lug nut of no usable size. This will not be toqueable by any socket neither english nor metric. This will happen fairly soon for those switching between wheels seasonally. Please Tesla, if possible change production to a solid chrome plated lug nut or at least make a proper fitting solid nut available as an accessory. There are few thing more frustrating to an auto tech than dealing with these type nuts!

Hadn't noticed that. Unfortunate for a car at this level. Perhaps keeping impact tools away from them will extend the life a little. We should bring this up with Tesla.

Last edited:
My thought was that the average owner is going to have most work done at the Tesla service centre and only needs the wrench as a back-up to check what the tire store did (notoriously inaccurate is the correct phrase here, like Thumper says) after a flat repair and for the 50 mile check. For those that do more, the Mac or Snap-on are far better--provided you get the annual calibration done.

Sorry for splitting hairs but:

If I AM going to be a brat and get the MAC, or the Snap-On AND commit to recalibration on a regular basis: Which one? I guess it comes down to personal preference/experience with the different companies. Ease of sending it in for recalibration would be somewhat important to me.

All advice helping me split hairs appreciated!

Sorry for splitting hairs but:

If I AM going to be a brat and get the MAC, or the Snap-On AND commit to recalibration on a regular basis: Which one? I guess it comes down to personal preference/experience with the different companies. Ease of sending it in for recalibration would be somewhat important to me.

All advice helping me split hairs appreciated!

Al, the Tesla ranger who was just here at my house had the Snap-On, so maybe that's a good endorsement. I'm sure they're both very good.

They were fine but I thought I noticed that the nuts were chrome sheet-metal covered type. I pulled one all the way off and sure enough they are. This type of lug nut is nothing less than an abomination.

Yikes! That's awful! My wife's Pontiac uses those lug nuts, and I had to replace 13 of them (at $10 a pop at the dealer) because they had distorted to the point of being useless. I had been using an impact gun on them, but won't any longer. Ditto for the Model S if it also utilizes these type of lug nut.

Just another data point...

Took my Sig Perf (with 21s) by the Seattle Service Center. They were "about 10" N.m. low. Took me longer to bring the car inside than it did for them to do the adjustment. They were completely aware of the 175/129 numbers, so if there's trouble with getting the word out... not in Seattle.

Bonus: I got a license plate frame (thanks StevePro for asking about it when I was in earshot, since they had at least 2 available).

Other notes:
1. "Tesla T" ($45) has been on backorder a while, but "P85" ($0 for first) and "Model S" ($45) are in. No idea how many they have in stock of the latter two. (I held off for now since their credit card machine was down and I didn't have cash with me, and I kind of want to do all 3 at once.)
2. I was informed that Tesla is likely to make a showing (maybe just 1 guy, dunno, heh) at the Bremerton Motorsports event* in May. :)
3. Regarding #2, I asked if there's anything that could be done (with Tesla or through Tesla) to get some near/at track charging options but he didn't have any info to offer.
4. Advice from the Tesla rep I spoke too: Tell ownership (email etc.) about your ideas and concerns. It does matter. They do listen. And new features do come from it. (This was in reference to some comments I made about things like "adjustable cruise control tolerances".)

* 7th Matt Ammon Memorial Driving School at Bremerton Motors Park on Sat/Sun 5/18-19

Last edited: