Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would most likely do the frunk. I installed strip lighting under both sides of the parcel shelf mount already (wired in, no batteries), so I would just get the smaller pack. When you said puddle, I pictured the footwell lights in the car. Where are the puddle lights on the outside you are referring to? The ones on the door handle?

No, there's also lights in the bottom of the doors (and red lights on the side of the doors). They all use the same type of lamp, which is very convenient!

- - - Updated - - -

So to be clear, these aren't "bulb replacements" (LEDs that fit into the stock OEM housing/lenses), but rather a replacement housing that uses the OEM wiring harness connector? That's substantially more impressive, and definitely secured a purchase. Thanks for the clarification.

Yep. The photo way up-thread shows the Tesla/OEM version, and mine, shown again below. The Tesla lamp can be taken apart, but it's really difficult with the right tools, yet alone without tools, so the only option for an easy install was to fully replicate the entire assembly.

Tooling production candidate.jpg

Yep. The photo way up-thread shows the Tesla/OEM version, and mine, shown again below. The Tesla lamp can be taken apart, but it's really difficult with the right tools, yet alone without tools, so the only option for an easy install was to fully replicate the entire assembly.

View attachment 93415
Great! Thanks for the images. I'm subscribed to the thread, but somehow managed to miss them. I'm definitely in. Let us know when preorders/orders open and I'll be there. :biggrin: This might eliminate one of my remaining complaints about the car and having to park in dark underground garage at home and at work every day.

Curious what's involved to replace the puddle lights? Don't need the step by step obviously since you're planning to do that at time of release. 50,000' overview.

Dead easy, if you look at the bottom (underside) of each door trim, you'll see the existing lights, just pop them out the same as the others, and replace with the brighter versions.

Great, thanks all, for the support. I've pulled the trigger on mass production, so while that gets going we're going to work on packaging and some other logistical details. The end of September is probably quite optimistic, more likely some time in October, but either way I'll update this thread with any progress, and open up pre-orders once I have a definite date. This is by far the largest upfront investment we've made in a new product, so it's a little daunting, but knowing there's support out there helps a lot.

Btw Pete, my detailer today commented on how much he liked the AO screen protector (HD glossy) in my car. It just goes to show that you make great products. I haven't done the license plate lights yet, but probably would order them at the same time as these. If you end up bundling a 5-pack, I won't object (4 for doors and 1 for frunk in my case)!

Btw Pete, my detailer today commented on how much he liked the AO screen protector (HD glossy) in my car. It just goes to show that you make great products. I haven't done the license plate lights yet, but probably would order them at the same time as these. If you end up bundling a 5-pack, I won't object (4 for doors and 1 for frunk in my case)!

Thanks. Still working on packaging, it can get quite complicated....Chances are good the packaging will hold up to 4 bulbs (plus pry bar), but we're still messing with options.

- - - Updated - - -

Hurry up and take my money.

It's been a long week! Getting there, slowly...

- - - Updated - - -

But as fast as I can...if we end up using blister packs (as we do for the licence plate bulbs) then there's a production run needed for those too, since these are a non-standard size.

We'd like a set or two so thank you for doing what Tesla should have done--the Sun must never set in CA? Crazy that we have to go aftermarket to see in the trunk!

Also, please let us know if you want some local test subject cars for fit and compatibility. Our VINs run from an early 2013 MS (VIN P06611) to a brand new 70D made in July.

We'd like a set or two so thank you for doing what Tesla should have done--the Sun must never set in CA? Crazy that we have to go aftermarket to see in the trunk!

Also, please let us know if you want some local test subject cars for fit and compatibility. Our VINs run from an early 2013 MS (VIN P06611) to a brand new 70D made in July.

Thanks, will do. Depending how the various production schedules line up, I might have the bulbs before the packaging, in which case I might offer a few for a reduced price in return for (technical) feedback. Still at least a few weeks away from that though.