Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite doable for them. There's a lot of potential for enhancements to the SC access mechanism to feed traffic appropriately depending on the trip plan in the nav.
In most of the country we have no option as to which supercharger to use on a trip. Also, by the time you get to the supercharger that you were diverted to, the occupancy situation could be totally different.

Oh, neat didn't realize. Just did a quick googling, do we have a list somewhere of upcoming features in 8.1 where this is listed?
There is likely a list of projected items somewhere in this forum. Tesla has made a few statements about this, including a personal email to myself. Here is a snippet of that email:
We are working on a software update that will show the availability of each station within a certain radius of your vehicle. We are excited to add additional components to the touchscreen and plan to incorporate these features in upcoming over-the-air updates.

Thing is they have this data! It'd be awesome if the navigation software took this into account.
It's quite doable for them. There's a lot of potential for enhancements to the SC access mechanism to feed traffic appropriately depending on the trip plan in the nav.
This is supposed to be available with 8.1 due out any day now. My guess is after the holidays.

Yes, I am aware they have this data. This is what I said they need to develop/release the UI elements in the car to expose this data.

I would imagine that those who are arguing that they are inconvenienced by their inablilty to move their cars within the 5 minute buffer, would change their minds when they are the ones waiting with less than 4% remaining and have to wait the extra 20 minutes before getting to charge, while others finish their meals, long walks on the beach, mocha, strip mall massage......!!!

I just want to address the "too little capacity" argument that is raised repeatedly in this thread and others like it. Building capacity isn't as easy as just doing it. Anyone who thinks it's entirely in Tesla's control is probably oversimplifying the difficulty in capacity expansion. I recognize I may be overcomplicating it as well, but here are just a few things I see impacting the infrastructure build:
  • Human resources on the Supercharger team
  • Contractor relationships
  • Budget available (clearly impacted progress in Q3)
  • Utility constraints (within the actual utility hierarchy)
  • Grid constraints (supply at crucial sites, failure paths)
  • Permitting issues
  • Priority shuffling (since the Supercharging expense is at least somewhat billed to marketing in their accounting, it's important realize that there is more perceived value in Supercharger coverage on the nationwide map than there is on increased density a mile from an existing charger)
I'm sure I'm missing a vast number of complications, but Tesla loves being vertically integrated. This is one realm where they must rely on a lot of external forces, so assuming it's entirely in Tesla's control is relatively far from the truth.

You seem to address reasons for too little capacity but not the actual argument. I guess you agree the reason for the 5 min grace is too little capacity?

You also seem to assume I am blaming Tesla for not building enough Supercharger capacity. That's how it reads anyway to me.

No. I am simply stating that IMO the reason and goal for the 5 min grace is to lessen issues caused by too little charger capacity. Not abuse. Abuse fix does not need a 5 min grace.

Last edited:
Reactions: callmesam
Remember that time when we drove ICE's and had to deal with those coin operated parking meters?
I hated it when my phone app didn't tell me that my time was running out and I got a ticket.

But your watch did. There was nothing unpredictable about them.

Supercharger is a randomly operated parking meter that will surprise you by ending any time. Good times!

Reactions: callmesam
I would imagine that those who are arguing that they are inconvenienced by their inablilty to move their cars within the 5 minute buffer, would change their minds when they are the ones waiting with less than 4% remaining and have to wait the extra 20 minutes before getting to charge, while others finish their meals, long walks on the beach, mocha, strip mall massage......!!!

That would be a negative.

I would not consider a reasonable grace period wrong even in that situation, even when I am the one queueing. Reasonable is reasonable, I respect that even when it inconveniences or hurts me.

5 min grace is not a reasonable demand given the long and unpredictable EV charging time. And it does not help much either when the base problem is too little charging capacity.

I would be OK with people returning at car pre-estimated completion time or within a 30 min grace of completion. I would find that reasonable given the unpredictable nature of the event.

I guess I am just a more considerate person. ;)

You seem to address reasons for too little capacity but not the actual argument. I guess you agree the reason for the 5 min grace is too little capacity?

You also seem to assume I am blaming Tesla for not building enough Supercharger capacity. That's how it reads anyway to me.

No. I am simply stating that IMO the reason and goal for the 5 min grace is to lessen issues caused by too little charger capacity. Not abuse. Abuse fix does not need a 5 min grace.
You had weird quoting issues in your message, but I think this was directed to me.

I agreed already that a greater than 5 minute grace is reasonable. 15 seems like the sweet spot, because you're unlikely to be much more than 15 minutes away from the car. That means you could get all the way to charge complete and still make it back in time. It also provides plenty of buffer room for the purported charge acceleration that might catch people off guard.

My capacity arguments were not directed at you. There are numerous participants who say that's the solution. It's certainly a part of it, but it's not like flipping a switch.

I'll also say that I haven't paid extremely close attention, but I do not think Tesla used the word "abuse." They seem to be taking the stance of "improving availability."

@ohmman I would say at least a lot of people here argued the change was to curb abuse and the original Elon Musk Twitter exchange suggested as much as well.

But if Tesla is saying it is about improving availability, I would not argue with that. Of course it is, because the capacity is insufficient in areas even if there was 0 abuse.

This should help :cool:
Tesla is pushing a new software update: now listing amenities around Supercharger and adding profiles to key fobs

Under the new v8.0.2 update, Tesla is now listing amenities around Superchargers to facilitate planning a road trip when using its in-car ‘Maps’ app. For example, you can more easily see if there are stores or restaurants with WiFi or restrooms within walking distance of the Tesla Superchargers that you will be using during your road trip.

The other main new feature is the ability to link a driver profile to a specific key fob. That way, if there is more than one driver associated with a Model S or X, there’s no need to change driver profiles in the vehicle; instead, your ideal seat and steering wheel position will be automatically adjusted when the dedicated key fob is detected.

Tesla is pushing a new software update: now listing amenities around Supercharger and adding profiles to key fobs

Under the new v8.0.2 update, Tesla is now listing amenities around Superchargers to facilitate planning a road trip when using its in-car ‘Maps’ app. For example, you can more easily see if there are stores or restaurants with WiFi or restrooms within walking distance of the Tesla Superchargers that you will be using during your road trip.
Just in time, all the wonderful things you no longer have time to enjoy! :)

That said, I do think the future plans to show and take into consideration Supercharger usage would be very welcome and the kind of "smart" Tesla can and should add into their offering. Even if there are no alternative Superchargers (and really, where else are there alternative Superchargers than in California) knowing beforehand a bit about utilization can be useful for planning.

The other main new feature is the ability to link a driver profile to a specific key fob. That way, if there is more than one driver associated with a Model S or X, there’s no need to change driver profiles in the vehicle; instead, your ideal seat and steering wheel position will be automatically adjusted when the dedicated key fob is detected.

Ah, something I did not know about Tesla. I thought my car had this feature already (spoiled by the Germans I guess), but an EV - with all those pesky idle charges (okay, that's too new) and other quirks (they're older) prohibiting adoption - doesn't get as much sharing around here as the ICEs do, so hadn't come up... Good to see Tesla adding the basic stuff anyway.

With my first Tesla road trip coming up next week, I think this policy is a good idea, and I hope it helps with availability of congested CA chargers.

I think the 5 minute grace period is plenty, because in practice you will actually get much longer. As an example, take one of my planned stops: Harris Ranch - arrive 20% - depart 68% - charge time 29 minutes
I'm not silly enough to lower my charge limit to 68%, because any extra charging I do at Harris Ranch will save me time at Gilroy. So, my grace period doesn't even start ticking until my car hits 90%, after an estimated 54 minutes. 54 charging + 5 grace = 59 minutes, an effective grace period of 30 minutes. That's more than enough time to pay for lunch and get back to the car. If I really wanted to push it, I could raise my charge limit to 100% and get another half-hour of grace. I don't expect to be there anywhere near that long, but if I somehow blow through all that extra time, I deserve to get charged for messing up other people's travel plans.

The only time the grace period is actually limited to 5 minutes is when you're trying to charge all the way to 100%. I understand certain trips require the full range, so I wouldn't put any limits on people charging to 100%. But, after doing a slow range charge at a busy supercharger, the least you can do is leave promptly afterwards.

My Tesla Factory Service pre-AutoPilot :( loaner just downloaded the update. It also lists:

$0.40 Idle Fee

for each U.S. supercharger under the amenities when you press on the red SC flag. You'll see the idle fees for all the international ones, too. I tried selecting ones in U.S. places I thought would be pretty empty now, and the Idle Fee still appeared. I did not see it in Connecticut on I-95, however. Maybe they can't collect it there due to state law or it's just missing from the database?

I also can't believe the idle fee is still being discussed to death on this forum. Isn't it time to move on? Or at least wait until people have had more real-world experience on road trips with it so they can make more constructive suggestions based upon reality instead of their expectations.

P.S. I'm spending some free time reading reviews to decide which high-end 4K video & photo drone to buy. This $0.40/min. idle fee is the furthest thing from my mind. I just want my Model X which ran over road debris back. Tesla's factory parts dept. closes Jan. 1st for 3(!) weeks for inventory I was told today. If they don't pick my parts before then, it will be a 3 week repair delay. They've had my X since 12/01/2016. I'm starting to lose patience since I want to drive it to go skiing... After all, I leased an X P90D, not a 2013 pre-AP Model S 85 loaner!

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
Saw this on Reddit: Supercharger idle fees now show when navigating to a supercharger • /r/teslamotors

Looks like the new update shows idle fees at superchargers as well as amenities.

Edit: I just confirmed with a busy supercharger (Burbank) and a not busy one (Mojave)
IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: hpartsch