Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such big brave men and EV adoption increasers you would be. ;)

Let me suggest a more daring mission for your funny club: go address the ICEing issue instead of worrying about issues at deserted Superchargers that have no issues.

Maybe those leather jackets and some posturing would actually help with a real issue there?
You must be fun at parties.

How exactly does anyone know about this if they don't browse this forum? A 5 minute grace period is frankly "ludicrous". I would support a one hour grace period.
It's on the Tesla web site under "updates" and the idle fee shows up with the supercharger on the car nav.
Would you still support a one hour grace period if you were the one waiting an hour to be able to start charging while you were on a trip?

Reactions: NOLA_Mike and KJD
With my first Tesla road trip coming up next week, I think this policy is a good idea, and I hope it helps with availability of congested CA chargers.

I think the 5 minute grace period is plenty, because in practice you will actually get much longer. As an example, take one of my planned stops: Harris Ranch - arrive 20% - depart 68% - charge time 29 minutes
I'm not silly enough to lower my charge limit to 68%, because any extra charging I do at Harris Ranch will save me time at Gilroy. So, my grace period doesn't even start ticking until my car hits 90%, after an estimated 54 minutes. 54 charging + 5 grace = 59 minutes, an effective grace period of 30 minutes. That's more than enough time to pay for lunch and get back to the car. If I really wanted to push it, I could raise my charge limit to 100% and get another half-hour of grace. I don't expect to be there anywhere near that long, but if I somehow blow through all that extra time, I deserve to get charged for messing up other people's travel plans.

The only time the grace period is actually limited to 5 minutes is when you're trying to charge all the way to 100%. I understand certain trips require the full range, so I wouldn't put any limits on people charging to 100%. But, after doing a slow range charge at a busy supercharger, the least you can do is leave promptly afterwards.

It would be nice to have that flexibility but having a 60D in the southeast means pretty much any time I charge I NEED to get to 100% just to get anywhere. Also, since there really isn't much taper, I will charge to 100% from just about anything from 0-20% in about 30 minutes. Too long to just sit there but too short to go anywhere or do anything. What do you do then?

It would be nice to have that flexibility but having a 60D in the southeast means pretty much any time I charge I NEED to get to 100% just to get anywhere. Also, since there really isn't much taper, I will charge to 100% from just about anything from 0-20% in about 30 minutes. Too long to just sit there but too short to go anywhere or do anything. What do you do then?

Watch something on your phone/iPad or read a book, and be grateful that you can charge to 100 quickly, and safely, with no taper.

Elon teasing about SC v2.0 with possibly higher than 350 kWh charging. I would imagine it would only be applicable to the newer 100 batteries with more advanced cooling if it would be applicable to any current cars. Sounds awesome, but I have no idea how they'll provide the insane amount of electricity that would be needed, or how much that electricity will cost. I know utilities can charge a significant premium based on peak power, which could be nuts if a few different Teslas were charging at more than 350kwh each.

Elon teasing about SC v2.0 with possibly higher than 350 kWh charging. I would imagine it would only be applicable to the newer 100 batteries with more advanced cooling if it would be applicable to any current cars. Sounds awesome, but I have no idea how they'll provide the insane amount of electricity that would be needed, or how much that electricity will cost. I know utilities can charge a significant premium based on peak power, which could be nuts if a few different Teslas were charging at more than 350kwh each.

Didn't he say (or at least imply) that this would be tied to sites with Powerpack V2 and Solar at the site - which could mitigate utility demand charges? Just the batteries might be sufficient to mitigate the demand charges - steady incoming power to charge batteries which handle the high demand loads.

Reactions: mhan00 and MP3Mike
I've been concocting this idea for a while. We call ourselves the "Hell's Idlers," and yes, there are jackets. PM me for details.

(Joking!)

Ohmman, I would submit to you that neither of us looks particularly menacing, whether we are wearing a sleeveless denim jacket with "Hell's Idlers" stitched onto the back with a massive thunderbolt for decoration or not.

That said, perhaps we could get one of the EEs on here to design and make a Supercharger-compatible device that could be attached to the ICE and have the appearance that somehow the current from the Supercharger is coursing through his vehicle. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know how Tesla will charge these folks 40 cents per min while I waited to charge my car at the Tinton Falls NJ Outlet Mall Supercharger today December 23, 2016 at 3pm...

Security did nothing!

View attachment 207493 View attachment 207492

Please tell us who gave you the dislike!

Those cars, especially the infiniti, are asking for key scratches. Did you post that on Twitter directly to Elon???? When did that happen?????

No, he didn't.

Fred Lambert ‏@FredericLambert 11h11 hours ago
@elonmusk Supercharger V3? Now I'm curious. What power out are we talking about? 350 kW?

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 11h11 hours ago
@FredericLambert A mere 350 kW ... what are you referring to, a children's toy?

I'll remind you that
(1) Elon Musk is prone to hyperbole
(2) 1 Supercharger already charges more than 1 car

Bundle the current 4 Superchargers into a single box, with the ability to split power flexibly to any of the 8 cables, and you have a 500kW Supercharger that can better optimize charging and turn over the spaces faster. But it wouldn't have to charge any faster to do that.

Reactions: sorka and ohmman

Elon Musk teases new ‘Tesla Supercharger V3’ with over 350 kW power output and off-grid solar + Powerpacks

upload_2016-12-24_20-35-9.png