Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving Supercharger Availability $0.40 idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@elonmusk: @TeslaMotors We are going to modify this so that people only pay a fee if most bays are occupied. If the site is basically deserted, no problem to park.

With this modification, I am fully in favor of the program. More than anything, I'm impressed with the fact that they are listening (TMC lurkers?), and striving to make the right solution.

@elonmusk: @TeslaMotors We are going to modify this so that people only pay a fee if most bays are occupied. If the site is basically deserted, no problem to park.

With this modification, I am fully in favor of the program. More than anything, I'm impressed with the fact that they are listening (TMC lurkers?), and striving to make the right solution.
I tweeted Elon, I'm sure many did as well.
Program should work well now, could even charge more so people remain very aware at busier locations.

Unfortunately, Mr. Musk, you are wrong! Your company does not know "if the site is basically deserted", as you and a distressingly large number of prior posters on just this thread have been writing.

The only information you have at present at all SpCs other than the very few that have Tesla-monitored security cameras is if there are Teslas present, whether charging, finished charging, or featherbedding. ICEing of SpC sites remains a hugely frustrating - far more prevalent than the overstayed charged vehicle - problem. So that lone Tesla in an 8-stall site that has seven ICEs blocking all other chargers is still the only roadblock over which Tesla Motors has any control.

Bad habits are supremely hard to break. Nipping them in the bud was the answer, but with some 100,000 Teslas now on the road, this, as the complaints in prior posts have shown, has now become nipping the emergent flower. PLEASE don't make 2019, 2020, 2030...any more difficult to the upcoming generations of Tesla owners. Keep the hard line.

Most people I know do just that. In fact, so do I. When I am in a restaurant and the message arrives, I leave, move my car and then return. On occasion that is a trifle inconvenient. Not often because if one watches the time one always knows. The times are not surprises.
When in areas that have metered parking people commonly leave to "feed the meter" then return. How is this different? Oh, yes, it is different because other people might not be able to charge if we don't move our charged cars.
To object to this requires a certain amount of egotism does it not?

Not really. It depends on how far you walk from the SC to the restaurant.

Unfortunately, Mr. Musk, you are wrong! Your company does not know "if the site is basically deserted", as you and a distressingly large number of prior posters on just this thread have been writing.

The only information you have at present at all SpCs other than the very few that have Tesla-monitored security cameras is if there are Teslas present, whether charging, finished charging, or featherbedding. ICEing of SpC sites remains a hugely frustrating - far more prevalent than the overstayed charged vehicle - problem. So that lone Tesla in an 8-stall site that has seven ICEs blocking all other chargers is still the only roadblock over which Tesla Motors has any control.

Bad habits are supremely hard to break. Nipping them in the bud was the answer, but with some 100,000 Teslas now on the road, this is, as the complaints in prior posts have shown, has now become nipping the emergent flower. PLEASE don't make 2019, 2020, 2030...any more difficult to the upcoming generations of Tesla owners. Keep the hard line.
My local SC is in the middle of a parking lot at an outlet mall. There is lots of parking, but weekends can get very busy with 95% of parking being used. I have NEVER seen a SC spot being ICEd. Never. If there are locations where this happens, towing/ticketing needs to be enforced. In the middle of the night when you are the only car charging, there is absolutely no need to trouble someone to move their car if they are having a nap or a long dinner. Tesla is being very reasonable and listening to their owners. Kudos.

tall parking sign.jpg

My local SC is in the middle of a parking lot at an outlet mall. There is lots of parking, but weekends can get very busy with 95% of parking being used. I have NEVER seen a SC spot being ICEd. Never.
Yaah, but that doesn't count: Canadians are genetically polite, eh? I, of course, absolutely agree about the towing part.

Nope, Model S, white with 19" rims, pre-refresh, male asian driver.

But he's not the only one I've seen.

Sadly, since I live in SD and have to make business trips twice a month to OC, I have become quite familiar with some of the abusers both at Fountain Valley and at San Juan Capistrano.
Well you are in OC and that T esla is probably a s60. Some Asian people are cheap so much it is a detrament to the world.

Unfortunately, there will be issues no matter how the policy is developed:

1) Those who want to game the system will now set their charge limit to 100% to extend their time to return to the car without penalty, even if they only need 80%.
2) What about ICEd slots? If there are 8 slots, 2 ICEd and 6 in use, that is just as tied up as if all 8 were in use but Tesla won't know that.
3) Same issue if Tesla's are parked without charging (unbelievably I have seen this at a hotel SuC).

It will be interesting to see where this goes :)

Reactions: MP3Mike