Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase in phantom braking past 2 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have people noted an increase in false alarms? Since 3 updates ago, which was about 10 days ago, my 2018 model X is slamming the brakes on the freeway.

a couple times, I think there was a concrete overpass with afternoon sun behind it.

After dark, I haven't figured out what it is reacting to.

Rarely had this problem before this month.

I cleaned the sensor windows without change. I contacted the service people with the exact times. They said it was not defective but saw something that the software reacted to, that they would forward to autopilot team.

my poor dog has gotten thrown into the dash more than once. I worry about getting rear ended.

I may have to turn off auto braking.

anyone know who to send the event logs to? I did record the last 6 or so events, so I will review them myself.

I will try turning down how soon the car reacts, but I read here that did not help.

there were no speed limit signs at any of these events.

I’ve had the same issue since on 2020.36.x. The car also seems to hug the left lane marking, it’s taking curves way to fast, and not staying in the lane while doing so. The only good thing about this software is the ability to read speed limit signs.

I’ve had the same issue since on 2020.36.x. The car also seems to hug the left lane marking, it’s taking curves way to fast, and not staying in the lane while doing so. The only good thing about this software is the ability to read speed limit signs.

Have you tried resetting the camera calibration in the service menu? I had 36.3.1 (now 36.10 but haven't driven yet) and that behavior doesn't sound normal...

Have people noted an increase in false alarms? Since 3 updates ago, which was about 10 days ago, my 2018 model X is slamming the brakes on the freeway.

a couple times, I think there was a concrete overpass with afternoon sun behind it.

After dark, I haven't figured out what it is reacting to.

Rarely had this problem before this month.

I cleaned the sensor windows without change. I contacted the service people with the exact times. They said it was not defective but saw something that the software reacted to, that they would forward to autopilot team.

my poor dog has gotten thrown into the dash more than once. I worry about getting rear ended.

I may have to turn off auto braking.

anyone know who to send the event logs to? I did record the last 6 or so events, so I will review them myself.

I will try turning down how soon the car reacts, but I read here that did not help.

there were no speed limit signs at any of these events.

Hey OP, yes I just came back from another SF-LA road trip and experienced three pretty aggressive phantom breaking incidents. First two were at night with perfect line markings, only one car in the right lane as I was going 70 in the middle lane. No shadows or overpass, just changing lanes. Third time was on the way back home, broad daylight, good lane markings, no cars overpasses or shadows. Can’t remember if I was changing lanes but there was a slight dip in the road which I assume caused the PB... Wife was not happy.

Not just me then!

Wasn't sure if its because after recent 36.x new features in UK that I am using TACC more, change in weather, or software. I suspect its a bit of all the factors.

One thing I have noticed is, occasionally when engaging TACC/AP and am travelling at a speed slower than the limit, not only is it very hesitant to speed up, it often brakes instead. I've noticed this specifically where there is a speed limit change, ie entering a new road with higher speed limit.

Reactions: drewpost