Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been fairly vague on EDD movement. Here is the breakdown - hope all my fellow Hoosiers are holding up in their wait…

OD 5/11
EDD: February - May 2023
Update 7/1: Nov 22nd - Jan 17th
Update 7/22: January - April 2023
Update 7/28: Jan 8th - Mar 5th
Update 8/17: Dec 9th - Feb 3rd

I’ve had a ton of movement the last month or so…

Hey everyone! I'm a total Tesla newb in the Indy suburbs who reserved a Model 3 just a few days ago after we found out the EV6 we've had reserved for a few months wouldn't get the tax credit. Anyway, I was browsing the Tesla site today and happened two notice two Model Y AWD (Austin, 4680) available in inventory and soon to be shipped to Chicago. These are the $61,990 version with 279 miles of range and a 5 sec 0-60. After a lot of YouTube videos, Reddit posts, and a long talk with the wife about the cost difference vs. the Model 3, we agreed that getting a bigger car in 2 - 3 weeks vs. 4 - 6 months was worth it for us, so we went ahead and placed the order and got a pickup window of 9/5 - 9/17. The other one I saw still shows in inventory as available for purchase, so maybe it's something to consider if you recently ordered the LR and would prefer not to wait. I'll keep everyone posted! I know there's lots of thoughts about the value of these vs. the 2170 LR, but for somebody who's been waiting for a car for several months and had to start the process over with new reservations (and a new long wait), this was a really neat opportunity in my mind.

Hey everyone! I'm a total Tesla newb in the Indy suburbs who reserved a Model 3 just a few days ago after we found out the EV6 we've had reserved for a few months wouldn't get the tax credit. Anyway, I was browsing the Tesla site today and happened two notice two Model Y AWD (Austin, 4680) available in inventory and soon to be shipped to Chicago. These are the $61,990 version with 279 miles of range and a 5 sec 0-60. After a lot of YouTube videos, Reddit posts, and a long talk with the wife about the cost difference vs. the Model 3, we agreed that getting a bigger car in 2 - 3 weeks vs. 4 - 6 months was worth it for us, so we went ahead and placed the order and got a pickup window of 9/5 - 9/17. The other one I saw still shows in inventory as available for purchase, so maybe it's something to consider if you recently ordered the LR and would prefer not to wait. I'll keep everyone posted! I know there's lots of thoughts about the value of these vs. the 2170 LR, but for somebody who's been waiting for a car for several months and had to start the process over with new reservations (and a new long wait), this was a really neat opportunity in my mind.
Yes. I recently shared a thread where the Standard Range MY is popping up in inventories everywhere - including Indy - I was able to get my MYLR for 1k more than the SR MY. I can’t justify having 50 less miles for that difference.

Reactions: IndyGopher
Yes. I recently shared a thread where the Standard Range MY is popping up in inventories everywhere - including Indy - I was able to get my MYLR for 1k more than the SR MY. I can’t justify having 50 less miles for that difference.
Totally get that. People who've been locked in for many months at lower prices should probably keep waiting. Only makes sense to go 4680 for those who recently ordered a LR or are considering one. Still, my wife and I did discuss the fact that Teslas are holding their value in crazy ways right now, so even if we find in a few months this MY doesn't seem worth the money we might be able to get out from under it without too much cost. Guess only time will tell.

Totally get that. People who've been locked in for many months at lower prices should probably keep waiting. Only makes sense to go 4680 for those who recently ordered a LR or are considering one. Still, my wife and I did discuss the fact that Teslas are holding their value in crazy ways right now, so even if we find in a few months this MY doesn't seem worth the money we might be able to get out from under it without too much cost. Guess only time will tell.
You’d most likely make money. We tested a Model 3 on a weekend Turo - way too small for our family of 3. Decided on the Y after a month long test drive with MOTOREV.

Reactions: IndyGopher
You’d most likely make money. We tested a Model 3 on a weekend Turo - way too small for our family of 3. Decided on the Y after a month long test drive with MOTOREV.
Wow, I've never heard of MOTOREV! Just checked their website and it's a really neat service. It's honestly not priced too bad either considering it includes insurance. Did you have a good experience? I'm sure we'll love the MY we ordered, but I honestly wish we would've heard about this earlier so we could've rented a Tesla or ID4 for a month or two. Seems like a great way to tide yourself over until an order arrives...

Wow, I've never heard of MOTOREV! Just checked their website and it's a really neat service. It's honestly not priced too bad either considering it includes insurance. Did you have a good experience? I'm sure we'll love the MY we ordered, but I honestly wish we would've heard about this earlier so we could've rented a Tesla or ID4 for a month or two. Seems like a great way to tide yourself over until an order arrives...
Check out my vlog on the experience. www.smallindiana.com - shameless plug.

Took delivery from the Indy Tesla store today. Black Model Y Performance. Car was in great shape. Had a few very small paint chips that they touched up before I left. I was happy to get the Michelin All Season tires, rear fender ppf, front mud flaps, new interior door trim and the portable charger. The employees were very friendly and helpful.

• Love
Reactions: smallindiana
Took delivery from the Indy Tesla store today. Black Model Y Performance. Car was in great shape. Had a few very small paint chips that they touched up before I left. I was happy to get the Michelin All Season tires, rear fender ppf, front mud flaps, new interior door trim and the portable charger. The employees were very friendly and helpful.
This is awesome! Glad to see a fellow Hoosier take delivery. I ordered the mobile charger from the website as I ordered after they stopped including them. 😞

How long did it take for them to repair your chips? Assuming you didn’t have to wait long.

Check out my vlog on the experience. www.smallindiana.com - shameless plug.
Cool, I watched the two Motor EV videos, liked, and subbed. Nice presentation! Seems like you had a decent experience with Motor EV despite the two month wait for a MY. Sadly, I might be going this route for a month or two as it seems all the 4680 MY orders from the past week or so lost their VIN #'s in the app (including mine), and at least one person has been told by an SA that Tesla basically decided not to build these recent inventory orders for whatever reason. I'm still hoping for the best as nobody has reached out to me and my EDD hasn't changed, but I'm expecting the worst since there have been multiple reports here and on Reddit. Talk about a rug pull if that's the case. Went from thinking I'd be waiting until January for a 3 to considering other cars to seeing a MY in inventory and getting an immediate VIN and EDD in 2 weeks to getting nothing. Quite the rollercoaster if that's the case.

Cool, I watched the two Motor EV videos, liked, and subbed. Nice presentation! Seems like you had a decent experience with Motor EV despite the two month wait for a MY. Sadly, I might be going this route for a month or two as it seems all the 4680 MY orders from the past week or so lost their VIN #'s in the app (including mine), and at least one person has been told by an SA that Tesla basically decided not to build these recent inventory orders for whatever reason. I'm still hoping for the best as nobody has reached out to me and my EDD hasn't changed, but I'm expecting the worst since there have been multiple reports here and on Reddit. Talk about a rug pull if that's the case. Went from thinking I'd be waiting until January for a 3 to considering other cars to seeing a MY in inventory and getting an immediate VIN and EDD in 2 weeks to getting nothing. Quite the rollercoaster if that's the case.
If you do go the MotorEV route @IndyGopher - I have $200 referral credit if interested.

Also thanks for supporting my “small” side project. I love making those videos.

This is awesome! Glad to see a fellow Hoosier take delivery. I ordered the mobile charger from the website as I ordered after they stopped including them. 😞

How long did it take for them to repair your chips? Assuming you didn’t have to wait long.
I think I technically ordered after the 4/28 mobile charger cutoff date too. I originally ordered a LR on 4/22, then switched to Performance on 5/2. The SA told me that 5/2 was my new effective order date. I was hopeful of still getting the charger though.
It took about 30 minutes to repair the chips. I know its not a perfect job, but I can't tell where they were without looking super closely. My wife and I had a good time in the waiting room talking to a few other Model Y owners, giving us their advice.