Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X with HW2.5 (manufactured in December, 2017.) upgraded - they changed the infotainment system as well as the autopilot and both the big screen as well as the driver's screen. I also bought the FM radio. Total cost was $2,500 + tax.

Everything is much snappier and the new screens seem to have better resolution or contrast. I did the upgrade a little over 1 week ago, and no mystery reboots. Backup camera looks clearer than before and is definitely not dimmer (daytime or night time.)

One problem is the steering wheel movement (up/down, back and forth) no longer works with profile settings. Apparently they have to do a "steering column calibration" in the sc. Did not notice this issue till a couple of days ago.

When you get the car back, all of your default settings are gone - so you have to go through all of the menus to set yourself back up. Finally, no dashboard scratches or damage due to this work... Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade and would recommend it if your planning on keeping the car for a few more years....

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I have a 2017 Model X with HW2.0 and MCU1. One of the features that is attractive about upgrading the MCU is to be able to have the sentry mode record videos to a memory stick and use the front camera as dashcam. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the MCU upgrade will provide that capability without also upgrading the autopilot computer to HW3.0:

"I was able to get with a colleague who confirmed that the hardware on your vehicle will not allow or enable video recording if the Infotainment Upgrade is performed without adding the full self-driving upgrade."

Does anyone know why you would need more autopilot horse power to record camera video?
Several installs have been including the FSD computer upgrade with the Infotainment upgrade, this was true a couple months ago when I had ours done. I assumed it was because Tesla wanted to have the hardware in place for future FSD use.

To your question, I would guess that the camera hardware is connected to the autopilot computer for processing and possibly recording all the streams is only fully supported on the newer hardware (possibly because of the bandwidth needed.) That's just a guess though.

Last poster mentioned that all settings were wiped, but that seems not to be the case for others. You can read some of the other Infotainment upgrade threads to get details. It looks like SCs can save the setting in some (most?) cases. I'm sure there are cases they forget, or maybe the eMMC issue causes them to be lost.

I would assume the $2000 charge normally includes the FSD upgrade unless something has changed. That's what we received.

2017 Model X with HW2.5 (manufactured in December, 2017.) upgraded - they changed the infotainment system as well as the autopilot and both the big screen as well as the driver's screen. I also bought the FM radio. Total cost was $2,500 + tax.

Everything is much snappier and the new screens seem to have better resolution or contrast. I did the upgrade a little over 1 week ago, and no mystery reboots. Backup camera looks clearer than before and is definitely not dimmer (daytime or night time.)

One problem is the steering wheel movement (up/down, back and forth) no longer works with profile settings. Apparently they have to do a "steering column calibration" in the sc. Did not notice this issue till a couple of days ago.

When you get the car back, all of your default settings are gone - so you have to go through all of the menus to set yourself back up. Finally, no dashboard scratches or damage due to this work... Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade and would recommend it if your planning on keeping the car for a few more years....

Aftermarket dash cam is both cheaper and higher quality. That being said, when I went from MCU1 to MCU2 it was like a new car.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Does anyone know why you would need more autopilot horse power to record camera video?
While "horsepower" may be relevant, IIRC, the reason you have to have HW2.5 or better to do dashcam is because HW2.0 wasn't connected to the MCU that way. If my memory isn't correct, it could have been a bandwidth issue with 2.0 vs a physical connection issue. In any case, while there may be more misinformation out there than accurate information, it was possible to have dashcam with HW2.5 on MCU1 (I know this because my 2017 HW2.5 MCU1 Model X had dashcam well before I got the FSD and MCU2 upgrades done). HW2.5 didn't include the rear camera, though, HW3.0 added that.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I haven't seen a thread for this on the X side of the forums, so I thought I'd make one.

2016 MX P90DL, AP1, MCU1; completed the upgrade to MCU2 last week!

so far, totally worth, and I'm hoping for some sort of credit as my MCU 1 was struggling and frequently restarting. FAQS mention things should be figured out by February next year.

first sunset with the car, speedometer seemed dimmed, but adjusting the display % and then tapping auto seemed to fix it.

reverse camera is pretty darn dim, gotta squint to see but i can make it work for now i guess.

Web Browser, finally works! lol so amazed it can even load tesla.com
cool to see album art over bluetooth

netflix and hulu at charging stops has been amazing.

everything is just so SNAPPY, feels like a new car.

would love to hear if you've got questions or other things I should check out.

I was hoping this could be a spot where others who did the infotainment upgrade could share their results too!

oh also, they did replace my MCU display (my screen protector was off in the backseat)
they managed to dent the frame around the MCU, but mobile will be coming to replace it soon.
I got the same upgrade two weeks ago on my Model S since they told me the recall work would not be done until the car completely failed (I had been having major problems related to that for months). They damaged the frame around the MCU on mine as well.

I have the same problem with my rear camera and the ‘Caraoke’ doesn’t work at all. Their response - “The engineers have confirmed the issue is caused by a bug in the firmware. We are trying to see if there is a work-around for the meantime. The technician is replacing the damaged bezel at the moment.” And “I do not have an exact date, however the issue is known by the engineers and Tesla is actively working on a firmware patch to correct this. I can't promise it will be in the next firmware update, but one of the updates to come.” They were unable to find a ‘work-around’ so I guess I have to live with it. I don’t think they should charge what the do for the upgrade if they don’t have it all working properly.

I haven't seen a thread for this on the X side of the forums, so I thought I'd make one.

2016 MX P90DL, AP1, MCU1; completed the upgrade to MCU2 last week!

so far, totally worth, and I'm hoping for some sort of credit as my MCU 1 was struggling and frequently restarting. FAQS mention things should be figured out by February next year.

first sunset with the car, speedometer seemed dimmed, but adjusting the display % and then tapping auto seemed to fix it.

reverse camera is pretty darn dim, gotta squint to see but i can make it work for now i guess.

Web Browser, finally works! lol so amazed it can even load tesla.com
cool to see album art over bluetooth

netflix and hulu at charging stops has been amazing.

everything is just so SNAPPY, feels like a new car.

would love to hear if you've got questions or other things I should check out.

I was hoping this could be a spot where others who did the infotainment upgrade could share their results too!

oh also, they did replace my MCU display (my screen protector was off in the backseat)
they managed to dent the frame around the MCU, but mobile will be coming to replace it soon.
I just got my 2016 model x from private seller, MCU1 and AP1. I plan to do the upgrade, but I can’t find confirmation information saying if the upgrade will make it FSD cabable and adding those front and side cameras. What is like in your case? Thanks!

I just got my 2016 model x from private seller, MCU1 and AP1. I plan to do the upgrade, but I can’t find confirmation information saying if the upgrade will make it FSD cabable and adding those front and side cameras. What is like in your case? Thanks!
Short answer: No AP1 to AP2 retrofit.

AP1 has only 1 front camera for the automation purpose. You need to rework your car, both hardware and software, to make it as an 8-camera AP2 which can cost more than a brand new car.

You can upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 to get a more responsive screen but not becoming AP2.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
AP1 has only 1 front camera for the automation purpose. You need to rework your car, both hardware and software, to make it as an 8-camera AP2 which can cost more than a brand new car.
Do you know if there's any way to do the AP1 to AP2 retro fit by aftermarket resources? Would it void the Tesla support over the air?
Another question, is sentry mode only available for AP2 hardware, aka 8-camera hardware?

Thanks for being patient with me, I'm new to the party.

Do you know if there's any way to do the AP1 to AP2 retro fit by aftermarket resources?
I don't but that doesn't mean it's technically impossible. If you pay enough, it can be done. Remember, the cost for this kind of retrofit will be about more than your 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid--$129,990.

...Would it void the Tesla support over the air?...
You bet. It will void Tesla's warranty and support (You paid Tesla to support 1 camera system so it is not going to support your self-made, copycat 8-camera system. Thus, the price of $129,990 or more because you keep paying the do-it-yourself expert to maintain your system.

...Another question, is sentry mode only available for AP2 hardware, aka 8-camera hardware?...

AP2 and higher with older MCU1 have Sentry Mode as an alarm, NOT as a recorder.

AP2 higher with older MCU2 have Sentry Mode as both an alarm, AND as a recorder.

I don't but that doesn't mean it's technically impossible. If you pay enough, it can be done. Remember, the cost for this kind of retrofit will be about more than your 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid--$129,990.

You bet. It will void Tesla's warranty and support (You paid Tesla to support 1 camera system so it is not going to support your self-made, copycat 8-camera system. Thus, the price of $129,990 or more because you keep paying the do-it-yourself expert to maintain your system.

AP2 higher with older MCU2 have Sentry Mode as both an alarm, AND as a recorder.
Thank you!

No, AP2.5 and higher record, AP2 does NOT record. Dashcam was actually released before MCU2 came out, and while MCU2 might have come out before Sentry (I'm less sure on the timeframe for things that didn't directly impact my vehicle), the dashcam functionality is technically what records for Sentry. For this reason, MCU1 vs MCU2 isn't relevant to that discussion except MCU2 may add rear camera (even on AP2.5, not sure on this) or the MCU2 upgrade may trigger/require an AP upgrade (which would actually be what added the dashcam/Sentry recording functionality).

I just got the infotainment upgrade. Did any of you have trouble with autopilot calibration being stuck at 99%? Tech drove it for 30 min and told me to drive it a while to finish calibrating autopilot. I am on AP2.5.

Last edited:
I just got the infotainment upgrade. Did any of you have trouble with autopilot calibration being stuck at 99%? Tech drove it for 30 min and told me to drive it a while to finish calibrating autopilot. I am on AP2.5.

How much have you driven and any highway driving? I don't think the time/distance is specified anywhere that I have found. I don't recall exactly, but I think it can take up to about 100 miles. Mine was quicker than that the one time I tried it, but maybe it depends on the roads and road markings you encounter as to how fast the calibration completes.

How much have you driven and any highway driving? I don't think the time/distance is specified anywhere that I have found. I don't recall exactly, but I think it can take up to about 100 miles. Mine was quicker than that the one time I tried it, but maybe it depends on the roads and road markings you encounter as to how fast the calibration completes.
SC drove it for 40 miles. I drove it for another 20 miles on the highway before rush hour, so the cameras can see lanes better. That apparently fixed it! While I like the infotainment upgrade for somewhat faster map refresh and no hiccups in streaming music, I haven't tried streaming movies. My settings' names remained as placeholders, but all the info was wiped clean (i.e. garage door name is there but doesn't open it).