Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting that they removed the Stage 3 upgrade from their website. Maybe something went south.

Nothing went south. I inquired with them about it and they said today to me that "We have intentions of doing it but no firm timeline for it". So I'm sure they just didn't want to keep the listing up while it's not anywhere near ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: ra88it
They were definitely binning. Early inverters, even with binning were still a big crap shoot:

tesla-blown-sicfet.jpg

Now ST delivers excellent parts. So much so that they can pull 6 of them out of the non-P units for cost savings.

If people don't believe it, or otherwise think that it's a good idea to do this hack, by all means! I need more pictures of blown inverters. =)

They were definitely binning. Early inverters, even with binning were still a big crap shoot:

View attachment 550593

...that kinda looks like the opposite of evidence for binning. (assuming that's from a P)

"it's a crapshoot!" for performance/endurance is kinda the opposite of the point of binning....

But if you're positive it happened can you speak to how someone buying a replacement 980 today knows they're getting the "better" one to replace in their P, given there's only the one PN and it doesn't require a VIN to order?

or is it more like "They only did this on the A/B rev parts- and everything later were all up to P spec" so any "new" part today (I think they've up to rev G currently) would be fine in any car

So you are asserting there is no possible way they were tracked in that path?

No, I literally said the opposite of that- and pointed out how dumb creating a second hidden tracking system, when you already had a perfectly good first one already there via PNs, would be.

So that Tesla would either NOT have been doing this, or had to have been doing something fairly stupid.

I'm reminded just how thick you can be. Back onto ignore.....

Sorry only reading half my post made you mad

Stage 2
  • 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
  • NO access to Tesla firmware updates, must go back to EG to upgarde
  • Limited based on motor code, rear motor must have code 112980
  • $2,250
Knightshade, this looks like confirmation of your logically deduced positing that the 980 and 990 motors do in fact have different capabilities.

Not that I would ever pay for this hack (I like my new car warranty, thank you very much), but it would be interesting to know just how quick a Stage 2 type hack could make a 990 rear motor AWD.
More so that the motors have been around longer and thus the firmware is a bit easier to deal with.

On one hand they’re making it a stealth without the mothership intervention, the other is a party box with more controls.

Reactions: silverflash
Sorry, better put "So you're asserting that something that YOU determine, without knowledge of specifics at the time inside Tesla, that a particular choice is sub-optial that the manufacturing/engineering teams at Tesla couldn't possible have chosen to do it that way?

No, I'm pointing that they COULD have done that (second time I'm having to point out I specifically said they COULD do it....), but that doing so would be incredibly stupid.

And nobody has offered any suggestion of a single benefit to doing it that way versus using a second part number- which also wouldn't require CREATING AN ENTIRE DUPLICATE, BUT HIDDEN, PARTS SYSTEM.... a secret second system that not only doesn't add value, but adds the possibility for the wrong parts going into cars if not at the factory than certainly during repairs since your public PN doesn't check VIN before handing out a replacement part.

I also say that as somebody whose has worked for electronics OEMs larger than Tesla (well, not in market cap anymore, but certainly in annual revenue and parts volumes) where I had some direct experience with part number systems and supply chains and where actual binning took place.

By ALL MEANS though- if you have an explanation for why NOT use a different PN if they were actually binning parts- let's hear it.

So sure of this to the point that it contradicts insider statements to the contrary?"

You mean the statements that I've asked you to show evidence of twice now and you keep saying "eh, can't find it"?

1) Because people make sub-optimal choices all the time.

I'm not saying this is "sub-optimal."

I'm saying it's a bunch of extra work. And potential cause of error.

For no benefit, of any kind, that anyone has been able to articulate.

2) You are in a very poor position to ascertain whether keeping a list, putting a sticky note, or whatever to track those DU doesn't actually make a decent amount of sense in that moment.

Your continuing inability to explain any way that makes any sense- rather than just using a different PN like literally every other manufacturing company in the world has for decades- suggests I'm in a pretty solid position to ascertain that.

Remember they had to switch into manual mode for the P assembling, that was the time of the Tent, and jettisoning the highly automated part distribution system due to issue with it.

..what?

The 980 was in use from the start.

LR RWD cars made in mid-2017, a year before the first P was delivered, came with the 980.

So they had almost a full year to figure out if they were gonna only be able to use SOME of their rear DUs in Ps, and to take 30 seconds to add a second PN to the supply system.

Your argument appears to be that instead of doing so... they decided a year later- at the last minute- to instead (when they STILL could've just added a PN to the system in 30 seconds) invent a SECOND part tracking system- that would not be marked on the actual part at all- and that would not appear in the actual parts catalog to insure you got the right replacement part.- and that THAT would be used for "binning" and the benefit for doing it THAT much harder and error prone way would be.... nothing anyone can think of...

... that somehow makes any sense to you?

But again- I'll ask the same question I ask all the "oh they totes binned all the 980s!" folks....

The parts catalog says there's only one PN for the 980.

It says it's available for purchase over the counter, no VIN required.

How does the parts guy know if you need the "magical secret marked" one or not?[/QUOTE]

Fellow Tesla AWD Members,

Not sure you have seen the latest mod news, but FINALLY someone has figured out how to mod the software for Long Range AWD models to unlock Performance levels!!

I've been waiting for this for YEARS, been so frustrated that I have the same hardware and dual motors like the Performance version, but have been limited by software to unlock the cars potential. Furthermore, I was an early adopter, so I bought my AWD as one the first ones, and paid a PREMIUM, I paid more then than what Performance costs now. I was hoping good old Musk would have helped us early adopters out by doing something like this, but leave to other creative geniuses to help us out.

So long story short, check out the links below, ingenext has figure out how to do the mods, you can actually also do the acceleration boost (like the one currently offered at Tesla for half the price) or GO ALL IN, like I am planning on doing and unlock Performance.

Now only two places are doing it and Only one in the US, and thats electrified garage see link below. If you are located close to them (NH), then please go check them out and let Chris know that Omar sent you as he may be able to give an additional discount.

If you are not close, particularly if you live in Southern California like myself, if we can get a group of 10 AWD 3s together, they are willing to send their techs out here to do the job for us! And again may be able to even get a further discount. Message me ASAP if you are interested in doing this in SoCal or if you have any questions about the process as I have researched it extensively.

I'm ready to get performance+ power! :)

Ghost Upgrade
Electrified Garage Store

• Disagree
Reactions: Clivew and Gasaraki
I agree and it would be lovely if someone could test the limits of the 990 motor and see if it's capable of P power. Perhaps EG or Ingeneerix will do that at some point, but for now we're all relying on the limits that TSLA allows on each motor, not its actual performance limit. Perhaps those with engineering background or that understand more of what the data shows can chime in with their theories. For all we know the 980 could be maxed (with a reliability buffer built in) at its current output of 265kW, but the 990 could be capable of something higher than the former 230kW (now 220kW after Accel Boost) but less than the 265kW.
Curious if they could jump up an OG 3LR single motor (think like the P85)

Might be fun!

If Tesla does not brick cars that utilize this hack, they will have a difficult time selling P-variants of the upcoming models. As a shareholder I hope they drop the hammer.

BTW I notice the site says that the 50hp boost is not detectable remotely. I would think one or two 0-60 runs with the added HP would be all Tesla would need to see that this mod has been added.

If Tesla does not brick cars that utilize this hack, they will have a difficult time selling P-variants of the upcoming models. As a shareholder I hope they drop the hammer.
If it really is limited to the 980 part number there isn’t really competition from new D. Even without it limited to 980, if that eventually gets figured out; Tesla has been selling, off & on, the P- for a lower price (only $2,000 over the D) and that comes with no OTA or warranty issues.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
If it really is limited to the 980 part number there isn’t really competition from new D. Even without it limited to 980, if that eventually gets figured out; Tesla has been selling, off & on, the P- for a lower price (only $2,000 over the D) and that comes with no OTA or warranty issues.
Perhaps this happens when they have an excess supply of 980 motors to offload? Newer stealth owners wanna chime in?

Edit: I may be on to something here: notice “cheap” stealth all but disappear from the menu when MY was slated for first deliveries.

Last edited:

BTW I notice the site says that the 50hp boost is not detectable remotely. I would think one or two 0-60 runs with the added HP would be all Tesla would need to see that this mod has been added.
Spoken like a true capitalist!

Folks who participate certainly take their property into their own hands by doing so (It *IS* their property) but this is a horrible stance to take on the matter.

I suppose you also applaud when Tesla intentionally cripples aging and rebuilt cars as well.

• Love
Reactions: ra88it
Perhaps this happens when they have an excess supply of 980 motors to offload? Newer stealth owners wanna chime in?
That has occurred to me, and fits well with them being pre-built w/o an order being filled. They are just squeezing out extra cash flow and keeping inventory numbers tight. Benefit of pre-built is they can use them to fill out paint batches, set higher sale price by dictating option set, and sopping up different parts inventory that way, too, without being forced into discounting.

Still the risk of warranty loss & the difficulty w/OTA updates makes it very poor competition for new vehicles. The product fits way better for those already way out there in the weeds, which means it fits pretty well with Rich & EG w/the non-Tesla service & salvage rebuild roots.

So I got a reply from EG regarding the 990:

Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 11:52 AM
To: #######
Subject: Re: General question

Hi ######,
We haven't tried to do any benchmarking. The mosfet in the motor is about 15-20% less so a similar decrease in output is expected. They're capable of more than what Tesla has put out but we haven't had time to mess with them to see the point of failure or not.

So this follows along the lines of what has been discussed. And further confirms the motor is 'less capable' [as Knightshade had pointed out], however, it has headroom to play with, which we expected. Can they squeeze a 3.2 0-60 out of it? I'd guess yes.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
I suppose you also applaud when Tesla intentionally cripples aging and rebuilt cars as well.

No, not at all. I'm simply saying that, if any idiot can plug in a dongle and get the equivalent of "P" performance, there will be a limited market for it directly from Tesla. I suppose they will probably just make the hardware less adaptable, so that the cost of an aftermarket upgrade is higher or impossible.

The good news is that I think it will be hard to craft a business model around selling boost dongles. Someone is probably already reverse-engineering this one and will then offer it at half the price, and so on, and so on.

No, not at all. I'm simply saying that, if any idiot can plug in a dongle and get the equivalent of "P" performance, there will be a limited market for it directly from Tesla. I suppose they will probably just make the hardware less adaptable, so that the cost of an aftermarket upgrade is higher or impossible.

The good news is that I think it will be hard to craft a business model around selling boost dongles. Someone is probably already reverse-engineering this one and will then offer it at half the price, and so on, and so on.
I only see an upside to this.

You guys keep acting like they're "tuning" these cars performance....I'm not sure there's any evidence of that?

Far as anything posted can tell Stage 1 basically just tells the computer "run the tesla boost code" and stage 2 tells the computer "this car is a P"

If the video is to be believed, their Stage 2 product walked a Model 3 Performance. If charge on the batteries was similar, the Stage 2 is significantly more powerful than Tesla's offering. It wasn't even close.

They would entering dangerous legal waters to "brick" owners cars that do this, and would likely lose. They are well within their rights to deny warranty, service and supercharging (at least on their infrastructure) to such vehicles, though. These upgrades will be great for salvage vehicles, which Tesla has committed to neutering...

View attachment 550593

Now ST delivers excellent parts. So much so that they can pull 6 of them out of the non-P units for cost savings.

If people don't believe it, or otherwise think that it's a good idea to do this hack, by all means! I need more pictures of blown inverters. =)

Am I understanding this correctly that the 990 inverters have 6 less ST SiC MOSFET than the 980?

• Informative