Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1707962558421.png

just updated module and got update 2023.44.30.14. going to try to update.

FWIW I asked Ingenext if the module update was optional or mandatory and they responded with this: "optional if you don't use the battery pack heating."

So that tells me that future tesla updates should be business as usual whether you update the module or not. I don't use the Battery Pack heating toggle so I am not interested in updating my module for that and losing a feature such as the "allow updates" ability.

Reactions: omkar
FWIW I asked Ingenext if the module update was optional or mandatory and they responded with this: "optional if you don't use the battery pack heating."

So that tells me that future tesla updates should be business as usual whether you update the module or not. I don't use the Battery Pack heating toggle so I am not interested in updating my module for that and losing a feature such as the "allow updates" ability.
I agree but check my post above. Updates still work.

Of course updates work, the option to not have it done until you know it’s safe is gone if you update the module. What happens if Tesla sends an update that wipes out all use of Ingenext modules? You won’t have any warning or choice, you’ll simply have a paperweight .
Just don't update your car. Tesla has never force installed an update on anyone. You always have to start it yourself.

IIRC there has been at least one kinda-forced update when Tesla changed their network security and you got a message basically saying either take this update or a lot of the stuff on the car won't work anymore over cellular...

Also the owners manual lists refusing SW updates as something that might cause them to deny warranty coverage so there's that.

And fwiw I did NOT update my module and this afternoon got the pop up regarding 2023.44.30.14 being avail to install. So anyone that feels like you won’t get any further Tesla updates until you flash your module. Not the case!

Speaking of. Has anyone had issues at all with that one? I think it’s just an incremental bug fix on the one I currently have been running for a while. 2023.44.30.8

IIRC there has been at least one kinda-forced update when Tesla changed their network security and you got a message basically saying either take this update or a lot of the stuff on the car won't work anymore over cellular...

Also the owners manual lists refusing SW updates as something that might cause them to deny warranty coverage so there's that.
You're already pushing your warranty having one of these modules.

And fwiw I did NOT update my module and this afternoon got the pop up regarding 2023.44.30.14 being avail to install. So anyone that feels like you won’t get any further Tesla updates until you flash your module. Not the case!

Speaking of. Has anyone had issues at all with that one? I think it’s just an incremental bug fix on the one I currently have been running for a while. 2023.44.30.8
I just updated the module before installing the update to test if updates still worked since It was unknown. Tesla doesn't know you have the module so you'll still get updates. 2023.44.30.14 works fine for me on updated firmware of module.

Reactions: omkar
You're already pushing your warranty having one of these modules.

Well, they can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove something you did (or didn't do) caused the failure you want fixed.

"You installed a thing that turns on something you can already get from Tesla as a software unlock" would be a relatively tough thing for them to prove caused damage (because Teslas own boost would've caused the same damage if that were the cause of the problem)

OTOH "You refused software updates we had issued to improve reliability of the thing that failed" adds a further, I'd suggest potentially much easier to prove, vector of denial of coverage.

Reactions: Masi
Just don't update your car. Tesla has never force installed an update on anyone. You always have to start it yourself.
Federally mandated recalls are not updates, they are recalls and can be forced.
Well, they can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove something you did (or didn't do) caused the failure you want fixed.

"You installed a thing that turns on something you can already get from Tesla as a software unlock" would be a relatively tough thing for them to prove caused damage (because Teslas own boost would've caused the same damage if that were the cause of the problem)

OTOH "You refused software updates we had issued to improve reliability of the thing that failed" adds a further, I'd suggest potentially much easier to prove, vector of denial of coverage.
The module allows a lot of other options like continuous battery heating, off road and 2wd and drift functions, and allows you to bypass updates and recalls. Also by changing the power commanded you’re changing the EPA rating of the car and the MPGe rating from 134 to 114 which technically is altering emissions which is an instant warranty denial.

They don’t always have to prove, if you alter emissions warranty can be revoked.

Do you have any information under what circumstances they can be forced? (The only ones I have seen is that California requires some emissions related recalls to be completed to renew the registration on your vehicle. Beyond that I'm not aware of any law/mechanism for them to be forced, and even that isn't forced, you can refuse the recall as long as you don't want to register your vehicle in California.)

The module allows a lot of other options like continuous battery heating, off road and 2wd and drift functions, and allows you to bypass updates and recalls. Also by changing the power commanded you’re changing the EPA rating of the car and the MPGe rating from 134 to 114 which technically is altering emissions which is an instant warranty denial.

They don’t always have to prove, if you alter emissions warranty can be revoked.

The car has no emissions, so I'm not sure what you can mean by "emissions warranty can be revoked"

Buying boost from Tesla has literally the same change to power commanded as the boost50 from these guys and obviously does not void your warranty doing so either.

I agreeing using some of the ADDED functions could potentially cause an issue that, if they can prove that thing causes that issue, they won't have to cover that issue under warranty (but still would not "void" the whole warranty).

I guess I personally never really put much faith in The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act would ever save me if it really came down to trying to fight a big company like Tesla or any other Major Corp. I mean they have an entire legal department I'm sure. Do any of us really believe we have a leg to stand on if something like the BMS, PCS, Battery, Electric Drive Motors, etc went out and they decided to deny warranty because they had proof a 3rd party device was being used in an unauthorized manner? I mean they could make up anything and sound convincing to a court like the device circumvented certain safety thresholds that the stock programming would have otherwise handled and prevented failure, blah blah blah. Also, owners don't usually have the resources to go toe to toe against a company's entire Legal dept. :(

I guess I personally never really put much faith in The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act would ever save me if it really came down to trying to fight a big company like Tesla or any other Major Corp. I mean they have an entire legal department I'm sure. Do any of us really believe we have a leg to stand on if something like the BMS, PCS, Battery, Electric Drive Motors, etc went out and they decided to deny warranty because they had proof a 3rd party device was being used in an unauthorized manner? I mean they could make up anything and sound convincing to a court like the device circumvented certain safety thresholds that the stock programming would have otherwise handled and prevented failure, blah blah blah. Also, owners don't usually have the resources to go toe to toe against a company's entire Legal dept. :(

FWIW the only couple times I ever had it be relevant was with legacy dealers and my having modified the vehicle (in a way they for sure would not be able to prove caused the issue).

Every time it came up simply saying the words Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act immediately changed their minds and they covered the repairs- almost like they only try and screw over folks who don't know any better.

I can't say what Tesla would do for this situation- but I can say the times I've heard of folks taking them to small claims court for other matters Tesla has typically not even bothered to show up resulting in a default judgement for the owner and Tesla tends to pay those out quite promptly.

FWIW the only couple times I ever had it be relevant was with legacy dealers and my having modified the vehicle (in a way they for sure would not be able to prove caused the issue).

Every time it came up simply saying the words Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act immediately changed their minds and they covered the repairs- almost like they only try and screw over folks who don't know any better.

I can't say what Tesla would do for this situation- but I can say the times I've heard of folks taking them to small claims court for other matters Tesla has typically not even bothered to show up resulting in a default judgement for the owner and Tesla tends to pay those out quite promptly.

Yeah maybe like a scare tactic but ultimately not even worth their time.