Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial $1,000 referral expired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only had one credit. I wasn't checking obsessively. I knew I had a credit because the person I recommended took delivery. The only reason I went on January 3rd was because a friend told me they used my code in the past couple months and I was checking it. At the time, on 1/3/17, it still showed the $1,000 credit. I then read the paragraph about it and saw the expiration.

No, I didn't receive an email after a referral. The only reason I know is because my friend called me and said he used my referral. He had the same Owner Advisor, who remembered me, and didn't even need my referral link. (I think he said they just looked it up and added it.)

I didn't see the expiration date on the MyTesla page until January 3rd. I had been to it to glance and see if the referrals went up from my YouTube video, but didn't read the page. (I had no reason to because I read the detailed rules carefully for the current referral program at the time.) The instant I saw the expiration, I emailed them. It's really that simple. If they claim that's enough notice, that's their decision.

I respect all the opinions here. I was mostly curious if I missed a very clear expiration notice. In searching online, I've seen others who missed it. So, it's definitely not just me.

If your friend just used your referral link in the past couple of months (as you stated above), then the $1000 referral credit that you had was not from that friend. It would've been at least 9 months to a year old. I think they've only offered prizes since last March or so (no $500 or $1000 credits for referrer since before last March).

If your friend just used your referral link in the past couple of months (as you stated above), then the $1000 referral credit that you had was not from that friend. It would've been at least 9 months to a year old. I think they've only offered prizes since last March or so (no $500 or $1000 credits for referrer since before last March).

To clarify: I had one original referral under the $1,000 offer. That's what I'm describing here. The second referral was in the past couple months. I know that doesn't earn me a credit. The second referral is why I was curious and logged on recently. Wanted to see how it showed up.

So, two referrals, but only one applicable to the expiration.

To clarify: I had one original referral under the $1,000 offer. That's what I'm describing here. The second referral was in the past couple months. I know that doesn't earn me a credit. The second referral is why I was curious and logged on recently. Wanted to see how it showed up.

So, two referrals, but only one applicable to the expiration.
Thanks for the clarification. From your other posts, it sounded like you had only received one referral total.

I had the same thing just happen to me. Tesla is starting to become sleezy with bait and switch tactics. I was holding off to change a new set of tires and do some service and when I tried to use the credit they told me it had expired so I have to pay. I think it's a lie because I had used my credit a few month ago for a new set of keys. This is bad stuff. I'm thinking of going with the Chevy Volt. I have had to take my model S for changing handles 3 times now since I've owned the car. Talk about over engineering. Cool presentation handles but I prefer handles that are reliable vs ones that pop open randomly or where i have to climb through the passenger side to get to the driver's seat. Shame on Tesla.

So I am not the one to defend Tesla, but in this instance I'd cut them some slack.
If you look at this page - Referral Program .. it clearly says,

Discounts to owners from previous programs will expire on December 31, 2016.

This disclaimer was around for quite a while, and on multiple referral pages updates. It was also clearly mentioned on your mytesla right below the balance (not anymore since the balance is gone and last referral program, they redesigned the mytesla area).

Now if you argued about their repair cost situation, reliability issues, overloaded service centers (all unrelated topics mind you), I'd agree. But referral program .. I think they've been pretty clear that the credits will expire on 12/31/16.

Reactions: bonnie
Also I am no tax expert, but I am guessing Tesla most likely got in a lot of trouble - given that traditional dealers hate Tesla. A lot of them argued that, Tesla paying Tesla owners, amounts to dealerships. I remember they initially rolled out the referral program in all 50 states, and then rolled it back in VA and OH after such issues. And subsequent referral programs involved rewards that were valuable but had no cash value ~ the products were not on sale, or were unique (powerwall signed by xxxx). I think, them sunsetting your credits on 12/31/2016 had a lot to do with accounting, and I just have a gut feel that Tesla will have a hard time pandering to you for this request. Just my gut feel..but then what do I know, I'm just an Avocado!

So I am not the one to defend Tesla, but in this instance I'd cut them some slack.
If you look at this page - Referral Program .. it clearly says,

Discounts to owners from previous programs will expire on December 31, 2016.

This disclaimer was around for quite a while, and on multiple referral pages updates. It was also clearly mentioned on your mytesla right below the balance (not anymore since the balance is gone and last referral program, they redesigned the mytesla area).

Now if you argued about their repair cost situation, reliability issues, overloaded service centers (all unrelated topics mind you), I'd agree. But referral program .. I think they've been pretty clear that the credits will expire on 12/31/16.

There was no detail page for the referral program in question, nor was it in any of the email communications about the initial $1,000 credit program. At least, I never received a link to details of the program including an expiration in any emails I received from Tesla.

It's about doing right by the customer. This credit was earned in good faith. When my airline miles are going to expire, United sends me an email ("Your premier miles may expire soon.") weeks before. When I did a Kickstarter for a small new company, they sent me an automated email warning me a discount code I earned was going to expire. I mean, how difficult would it have been to send an email? Even if people were fully aware of the expiration, sending a message reminding of the expiration would be the right thing to do for your best customers/advocates.

I'm not the only one who missed the change. You can see the post above and search online and see others who had no idea it was expiring. For example:

Referral credit gone
Referral Credit | Tesla (The last post)

Let's face it: They didn't put the announcement of the referral program (or future referral programs) behind the logon of the MyTesla page or the Support section of the site. If it's such a great way to communicate, why did they even bother to email owners at all? That's rhetorical, obviously, because we all know a lot less people would see it. Quite simply: If it's not a preferred form of notice for announcing the program(s) to generate all those referral sales, I don't believe it's a valid form of notice for changing or expanding on the terms.

That said, I still love the vehicle and the company. This was just a customer experience/communication failure in my opinion. I'm past it and haven't even thought about it for while until I saw these new replies.

Last edited:
The expiration date was right next to the credit on your MyTesla account. Here's a screenshot of mine from a few months back. You can see it was very clear when credits were expiring.

View attachment 211266
Bonnie, I also lost a $1000 referral credit and I just don't buy the argument that it was "clear" on the website. I haven't had any reason to log onto the website in nearly a year, and my service center continuously assured me there was no expiration. Here is an email I sent to two different Referral program emails, but no reply yet. Don't know if you remember me but I was an early and vocal supporter of Tesla and met you at the first owner conf. in California. And Aaron and I organized the infamous NY Times drive recreation (#teslaroadtrip" and received personal thanks from Elon.
"I own a 2012 model S (P1850) and have probably sold around forty model S cars for Tesla to date. I was given a $1000 credit for one referral and was continuously assured by my local Tesla service center that there was no expiration date for the $1000 credit. As recently as this January I again asked about this at my final four year annual service and was again assured that I would be able to use the balance of the credit (probably around $900) for my next annual service next year. Today I stopped into my service center and asked about using some of my credit to buy a Tesla wall charger for a new house we're building. The service rep and the the service manager told me that Tesla decided to expire all the outstanding credits as of the end of December and did not notify anyone, including the Tesla reps ahead of time. They said they're getting lots of complaints about this.
Can this be true? Is this the way Tesla wants to treat their earliest and most loyal customers? Please tell me this is a mistake!"

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Bonnie, I also lost a $1000 referral credit and I just don't buy the argument that it was "clear" on the website. I haven't had any reason to log onto the website in nearly a year, and my service center continuously assured me there was no expiration. Here is an email I sent to two different Referral program emails, but no reply yet. Don't know if you remember me but I was an early and vocal supporter of Tesla and met you at the first owner conf. in California. And Aaron and I organized the infamous NY Times drive recreation (#teslaroadtrip" and received personal thanks from Elon.
"I own a 2012 model S (P1850) and have probably sold around forty model S cars for Tesla to date. I was given a $1000 credit for one referral and was continuously assured by my local Tesla service center that there was no expiration date for the $1000 credit. As recently as this January I again asked about this at my final four year annual service and was again assured that I would be able to use the balance of the credit (probably around $900) for my next annual service next year. Today I stopped into my service center and asked about using some of my credit to buy a Tesla wall charger for a new house we're building. The service rep and the the service manager told me that Tesla decided to expire all the outstanding credits as of the end of December and did not notify anyone, including the Tesla reps ahead of time. They said they're getting lots of complaints about this.
Can this be true? Is this the way Tesla wants to treat their earliest and most loyal customers? Please tell me this is a mistake!"
I'm really sorry you didn't know - but it wasn't a 'Tesla decided to do this & didn't tell anyone'. They really did have it on your MyTesla page from the beginning. And there was discussion on this forum from the beginning about credits expiring.

Whoever assured you in January that there was no expiration for the credits was clearly mistaken (they'd expired at that point) and should own up to the fact that they gave you bad information (rather than blaming it on some corporate decision out of the blue...). They should be the one driving resolution on this - sounds like you checked with Tesla reps who should have known better.

Let's face it: They didn't put the announcement of the referral program (or future referral programs) behind the logon of the MyTesla page or the Support section of the site. If it's such a great way to communicate, why did they even bother to email owners at all? That's rhetorical, obviously, because we all know a lot less people would see it. Quite simply: If it's not a preferred form of notice for announcing the program(s) to generate all those referral sales, I don't believe it's a valid form of notice for changing or expanding on the terms.

Did you get an email about how many referral credits you had? No? Neither did I. The ONLY place that information was available was on your MyTesla page.

Yes, it could have been included in an email also (and in hindsight I bet they wish they had). It's not unreasonable, however, to think that people would look to see what they had for referrals (or to make sure they were credited properly) & also see the notice there.

So I don't agree with your assertion that there was deliberate bad intent here.

Same thing happened to me as the OP. An email would have been nice.
I just didn't notice the expiry and rarely go onto MyTesla. I was kinda bummed to find it had evaporated because I was going to use the $1k to discount the $4k ESA for my 2013 S.
Then, Tesla added a 2 yr ESA which works better for my plans and cost me $2400. So, I procrastinated, lost my free credit but saved $600.
Rather be lucky than pretty.

Reactions: MarkS22 and bonnie
Did you get an email about how many referral credits you had? No? Neither did I. The ONLY place that information was available was on your MyTesla page.

Yes, it could have been included in an email also (and in hindsight I bet they wish they had). It's not unreasonable, however, to think that people would look to see what they had for referrals (or to make sure they were credited properly) & also see the notice there.

So I don't agree with your assertion that there was deliberate bad intent here.

I don't think it was bad intent. I think it was subpar customer support. As you see in this thread, more and more people are coming out as not having known about the expiration.

Also, the expiration was not on the MyTesla page when I originally verified the credit. I did go on and see I got the $1,000. But, per my communication with Tesla, they noted the expiration was added to the page later. And they felt that was enough. I simply disagree.

I just saw the thread about Service Centers accepting credits until 1/15. I just called and the Owner Avisor said that was his recollection as well.

In summary, I asked about credits expiring on 1/3. Got an Out of Office and sent a message to the person covering on 1/3. No response. Email again on 1/19. I get a response on 1/20 that it was too late. Yet, I'm hearing others were allowed to use their credit until 1/15. I'm sorry but that's ridiculously unfair.

Please see the following screen shots and videos posted by other users:

Tesla Virginia Referrals = $2000 off

You'll note that you can see the $1,000 credit but it does not mention the expiration yet. The MyTesla page you mentioned was modified to mention the expiration well after I checked my credit.

Last edited:
I'm going to exit this conversation. It's become pointless.

I'm sorry it has become pointless to you. You said "The ONLY place that information was available was on your MyTesla page." The MyTesla page at the time did NOT have the expiration date. Screen shots all over the Internet prove this. I edited my post linking to two after you replied: Tesla Virginia Referrals = $2000 off

You accused me of suggesting "bad intent" when I never said that. And you're spreading false information that the expiration was on the MyTesla page the whole time, when it was added to page in mid-2016. It makes me look like I'm complaining because I didn't read. But Tesla didn't have that information on the page yet.

We can disagree on how they handled it, but please don't suggest I missed wording on the MyTesla page that wasn't there at the time I received and verified my credit. If you go through all your responses, the sole defense of Tesla is that the expiration was on the MyTesla page and that's the only way I'd know I had credits. Well, now I've shown screen captures of how the page looked back then, when I checked my credit, and that expiration text was not on the page.

Last edited:
I'm sorry it has become pointless to you. You said "The ONLY place that information was available was on your MyTesla page." The MyTesla page at the time did NOT have the expiration date. Screen shots all over the Internet prove this. I edited my post linking to two after you replied: Tesla Virginia Referrals = $2000 off

You accused me of suggesting "bad intent" when I never said that. And you're spreading false information that the expiration was on the MyTesla page the whole time, when it was added to page in mid-2016. It makes me look like I'm complaining because I didn't read. But Tesla didn't have that information on the page yet.

We can disagree on how they handled it, but please don't suggest I missed wording on the MyTesla page that wasn't there at the time I received and verified my credit.

Well so I have to reply, of course, now that I've been accused of spreading false information.

Oh geez. Seriously? You don't think you were accusing bad intent when you said they did it the way they did because a lot less people would see it? You say they chose to do it that way BECAUSE less people would see it. I read that as saying they had bad intent. My apologies, perhaps you can explain what you did mean.

"Let's face it: They didn't put the announcement of the referral program (or future referral programs) behind the logon of the MyTesla page or the Support section of the site. If it's such a great way to communicate, why did they even bother to email owners at all? That's rhetorical, obviously, because we all know a lot less people would see it. Quite simply: If it's not a preferred form of notice for announcing the program(s) to generate all those referral sales, I don't believe it's a valid form of notice for changing or expanding on the terms."
And I guess your personal MyTesla page must be different than the majority. I went back in posts and found the Dec '16 expiration date being discussed in Sept 2015. I'm sure if I look more, I can take it to the first day. For you to say it was added 'mid 2016' is just not true. I'm not going to accuse you in kind of spreading false information, because I believe you think that's true. But use the search function on this forum & you'll see people were discussing the expiration in multiple places in 2015.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, though clearly you're angry with me & with Tesla. Peace.

Well so I have to reply, of course, now that I've been accused of spreading false information. ... I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, though clearly you're angry with me & with Tesla. Peace.

I don't think you're trying to pick a fight. This is representative of what MyTesla page looked like when I checked the credit. It looked like this through the first half of 2016:

upload_2017-4-25_14-12-12.png

Another user (without credits, but note almost identical wording with "Limit ten per owner" added):

upload_2017-4-25_14-51-21.png

Even later programs, and another user in Spring 2016 shows they still didn't add the expiration date to MyTesla:

upload_2017-4-25_14-55-19.png

Later on, they updated it, as you noted. No dispute that it was eventually added:

upload_2017-4-25_14-12-54.png

Earlier in this thread you commented: "(T)he only way I knew my total credit was by referencing the MyTesla page. That's the only way you would have known, too. So when you looked to see that you had $1000 in credit, you also had the expiration date for those credits. Sorry you missed out, but to blame this on Tesla is a huge stretch."

You said "The expiration date has been there from the beginning." Maybe it was discussed on the forum somewhere--I'm not suggesting it wasn't mentioned somewhere--but you said it was on MyTesla from the beginning. And it wasn't. Even in my emails with Tesla, they told me it was added later but thought that was enough.

So, your argument is that I had to have seen the expiration date on MyTesla back when I got the credit in late 2015... but I'm showing you screen captures of the page (from multiple users) back in late 2015/early 2016 without mention of it. Is it still a huge stretch to blame Tesla's communications?

I'm certainly not angry with you. I know you're an amazing part of the Tesla community expressing your opinion. I eagerly watched your Model X waiting game adventures. Nor am I angry at Tesla. (My "Bad Robot" is currently being detailed in preparation to proudly display at a Green Fair this weekend.) I'm just disappointed with the communications here on this specific program. In this specific example, our facts are conflicting. That doesn't mean I have any anger toward you or Tesla.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_14-20-20.png
    upload_2017-4-25_14-20-20.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 28
Oh geez. Seriously? You don't think you were accusing bad intent when you said they did it the way they did because a lot less people would see it? You say they chose to do it that way BECAUSE less people would see it. I read that as saying they had bad intent. My apologies, perhaps you can explain what you did mean.

"Let's face it: They didn't put the announcement of the referral program (or future referral programs) behind the logon of the MyTesla page or the Support section of the site. If it's such a great way to communicate, why did they even bother to email owners at all? That's rhetorical, obviously, because we all know a lot less people would see it. Quite simply: If it's not a preferred form of notice for announcing the program(s) to generate all those referral sales, I don't believe it's a valid form of notice for changing or expanding on the terms."

In terms of this passage and "bad intent," this was coming from my experience as a court-appointed noticing expert. Direct noticing, when available, is always the most appropriate compared to an indirect website notice. My point was that they used direct noticing to get the word out and indirect noticing to change the terms. I don't think that was malicious so much as poor communications. Bad intent implies they intentionally hid the change to save money. I don't think that's the case. I think they updated the MyTesla page and shrugged thinking it was good enough. They have a lot on their plate. There's a big difference because bad intent implies I think they intentionally set out to deceive members of the referral program from the onset. I certainly don't think that's the case.

I know this is dragging on, but you asked. :)

Reactions: bonnie
I'm really sorry you didn't know - but it wasn't a 'Tesla decided to do this & didn't tell anyone'. They really did have it on your MyTesla page from the beginning. And there was discussion on this forum from the beginning about credits expiring.

Whoever assured you in January that there was no expiration for the credits was clearly mistaken (they'd expired at that point) and should own up to the fact that they gave you bad information (rather than blaming it on some corporate decision out of the blue...). They should be the one driving resolution on this - sounds like you checked with Tesla reps who should have known better.

Bonnie, The expiration date was NOT on my Tesla web page from the beginning. I did check initially and there was no mention of any expiration date. I hope you're not accusing me of spreading false info. And I then followed up with my local service and support team who all reinforced the no expiration date upon multiple occasions. I think it's unrealistic to place the burden on customers to log into Tesla to see if Tesla has decided to expire their credits. I've never logged into an auto company web site before for any reason. And I've had no reason to log into my Tesla account for the past year. As far as looking to the local Tesla folks to correct this issue, I've learned that they apparently have no clout with corporate. Very sad.

• Love
Reactions: MarkS22