Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Input on Huge Crack in Windshield - Model 3 Delivery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I went to Tesla today to take delivery of my new Model 3 SR+ Black/Black 18” Aero wheels w/ FSD. First thing I noticed was a huge crack in the windshield, unable to take delivery of the car. Huge disappointment but glad we noticed it before leaving the lot. There were some minor panel gaps and small scratches as well.

They said they would replace the windshield, 48 hour repair if they have the part on hand. If not they have to order it and it’ll take longer. I’m just worried of it happening again in the future. What do you guys think? Wondering if you guys think I should continue with delivery of this vehicle after repair or should I request a new vehicle. Thanks for any of your input!

Attachments

• 50CD3096-680A-4701-9EFD-5BE328A13E85.jpeg
    50CD3096-680A-4701-9EFD-5BE328A13E85.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Well I went to Tesla today to take delivery of my new Model 3 SR+ Black/Black 18” Aero wheels w/ FSD. First thing I noticed was a huge crack in the windshield, unable to take delivery of the car. Huge disappointment but glad we noticed it before leaving the lot. There were some minor panel gaps and small scratches as well.

They said they would replace the windshield, 48 hour repair if they have the part on hand. If not they have to order it and it’ll take longer. I’m just worried of it happening again in the future. What do you guys think? Wondering if you guys think I should continue with delivery of this vehicle after repair or should I request a new vehicle. Thanks for any of your input!

I am sorry for your story,,
Do we still have quality issues? I am waiting on the delivery, and worrying about this quality issues.

Reactions: bezwick
Ug, sorry that happened.
I would not worry about a replaced windshield. Previous car had replaced windshield with no issues, and out current car had a rock hit it 2 months into ownership (neither were Teslas).
Anecdotally, they may use a larger bead of sealant during repair than the factory, so you'll be better off in the long run vs body flex and such.

Reactions: neroden and bezwick
Ug, sorry that happened.
I would not worry about a replaced windshield. Previous car had replaced windshield with no issues, and out current car had a rock hit it 2 months into ownership (neither were Teslas).
Anecdotally, they may use a larger bead of sealant during repair than the factory, so you'll be better off in the long run vs body flex and such.

Noted, thank you for your input!!!

My first thoughts would be

How did a car with such damage get as far as to be put in front of a customer for them to find that sort of problem in the first place!

Regardless of how difficult it is to fix, should not have been put in front of a customer in the first place. Indicates that the car had 'Not Been Prepared', and lack of care.

Definitely worth a complaint, and some sort of additional remedy.

If you don't complain, they won't get better. Start off the relationship with the service center on the right foot, Polite, but firmly making it know that that level of service isn't acceptable.

How did a car with such damage get as far as to be put in front of a customer for them to find that sort of problem in the first place!

Regardless of how difficult it is to fix, should not have been put in front of a customer in the first place. Indicates that the car had 'Not Been Prepared', and lack of care.

If you don't complain, they won't get better. Start off the relationship with the service center on the right foot, Polite, but firmly making it know that that level of service isn't acceptable.

I agree.. and definitely, I will make sure that they understand it isn’t acceptable. Thank you for the input!

We had a crack on the inside of the roof that we only found when we went to pick up the car. Bit of a surprise that they hadn’t caught it during any inspection (look up?!). We also weren’t allowed to take it with a due bill.

It took a week for them to replace the roof and our car was in great shape when we travelled back to pickup. It was a real disappointment to have to drive home in our own car but now it’s a distant memory and this is by far the best car we’ve ever owned and driven!

Here’s a pic;
What defects have you found at/after delivery?

Reactions: bezwick
We had a crack on the inside of the roof that we only found when we went to pick up the car. Bit of a surprise that they hadn’t caught it during any inspection (look up?!). It took a week for them to replace the roof and our car was in great shape when we travelled back to pickup. It was a real disappointment to have to drive home in our own car but now it’s a distant memory and this is by far the best car we’ve ever owned and driven!

Here’s a pic;
What defects have you found at/after delivery?

Yeah it’s disappointing but I know they will do what they need to do to make things better. I just got a call back from them and they explained that they have the replacement windshield in stock and it will be ready for delivery (round 2) this Friday. Really hoping this time around there are no new issues. Thank you for the input!

Yeah it’s disappointing but I know they will do what they need to do to make things better. I just got a call back from them and they explained that they have the replacement windshield in stock and it will be ready for delivery (round 2) this Friday. Really hoping this time around there are no new issues. Thank you for the input!

I've generally found they are pretty good at doing the right thing, and sorting out problems.

Just a pitty they let the problems slip through in the first place, otherwise their product/reputation would be top tier.

That sucks. It looks like something hit the edge of the windshield. As long as the repair is done correctly, I would accept the car as new. Its an OEM windshield installed by the manufacturer.

They really should have caught it before trying to deliver it to you. Other manufacturers do replace/fix things before delivery all the time, they just do it before the customer shows up.

We don’t know when the crack happened. Could have been a rock chip incurred while on a transporter and then sitting in the sun waiting for delivery it spread. Enough incidents on the road from members here that would be similar. Somehow I seriously doubt it arrived cracked like that and they wouldn’t have called ahead of time and postponed delivery, in fact there are a few posts I’ve seen of to-be owners getting that disappointing call.

It also could have been a chip and when they were running the AC to test, the cold against a hot windshield did it in (happened to me on a Honda that I was on the highway driving and heard a rock hit the windshield. Parked the car in the sun and when I got in to leave put on the AC and it cracked and the line zipped pretty quickly across most of the width of my windshield, similar to his to the point I was afraid the windshield was going to fall into the car because it was so extensive).

Yes, a cracked windshield like that is a safety issue. Another rock to the windshield while driving could have been bad; and yes, they did the right thing to not let him take delivery yet.

Last edited:
My delivery had two rock chips, one on the front windshield and one on the top roof glass, pretty sure it was from delivery. They were both minor and you can not see them from inside the vehicle. They had not noticed either before we got there and said they would call me when they had glass in, still no call so guess I need to follow up.

Sorry to hear/read of your delivery experience. As others have said, I wouldn’t sweat the replaced windshield, unless when you get it back they buggered up the interior and/or exterior while doing the replacement. I’d be more concerned with the scratches and panel gaps you mentioned. What’s the plan there? In any case, you can still reject the car “at actual delivery” or return it within seven days for a full refund if your not happy after taking delivery.

Reactions: ColoradoFun