Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside the NVIDIA PX2 board on my HW2 AP2.0 Model S (with Pics!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For example here:

"It has a Tegra chip that combines one six-core CPU code-named Parker and one Pascal-based GPU. It is a watered down version of the original Drive PX 2 announced at CES, which sits in the trunk of a car and is far more powerful with two CPUs and two GPUs."

Nvidia's updated Drive PX 2 computer will drive autonomous cabs

@stopcrazypp
@bjornb

There's no mention of difference between integrated and discrete gpu.

EDIT: on the other hand nvidia mentions one processor...making things confusing.

Sure about that?
I see no dedicated MXM on the Autocruise (just the integrated Pascal GPU on the SOC).

I believe I have read that the reference/dev PX2 use the more powerful GP102 discrete GPU, but I am not sure..
Have Tesla used a smaller/less powerful discrete GPU? GP106 vs GP102.

can you spot the integrated gpu here?

98854_image_55ddc92c-f470-4774-9eb2-6aa975238a30-prv.jpg

For example here:

"It has a Tegra chip that combines one six-core CPU code-named Parker and one Pascal-based GPU. It is a watered down version of the original Drive PX 2 announced at CES, which sits in the trunk of a car and is far more powerful with two CPUs and two GPUs."

Nvidia's updated Drive PX 2 computer will drive autonomous cabs

@stopcrazypp
@bjornb

There's no mention of difference between integrated and discrete gpu.

EDIT: on the other hand nvidia mentions one processor...making things confusing.

I beleive they are talking about the integrated Pascal GPU.

upload_2017-5-22_1-58-24.png

upload_2017-5-22_1-58-44.png

upload_2017-5-22_1-59-36.png

upload_2017-5-22_2-4-41.png

Last edited:
Total speculation here but is it possible that Tesla purposely under-spec'ed this setup to accommodate AP1 parity (and maybe a little beyond that) with the understanding that it would never support full level 5 autonomy and that they'd have to upgrade these cars prior to that rollout?

A few reasons for thinking this:

1. I vaguely recall Nvidia stating that you'd need two of the dual CPU versions for full self driving. Everyone speculated that Tesla would try to make one with, presumably with their own software. But making one of the single CPU versions work seems like a stretch.

2. Because of the Mobil Eye debacle they were forced to find a suitable replacement and integrate it quickly. It would make sense that they'd go for the cheapest setup that would offer both AP1 parity and an easy upgrade path to full autonomy since that was their ultimate goal. The other indirect benefit of doing this is that the better hardware is almost certain to come down in price by the time they actually need it.

The other indirect benefit of doing this is that the better hardware is almost certain to come down in price by the time they actually need it.
The downside is you'd need two teams to work on it all in parallel. And you are not getting much testing on the nonpublic code,
with two teams they'll reinvent the bicycles all the time and real world lessons from one team might not propagate into the other one.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Sorry guys. No more thermal paste on hand. If you want to see the CPU and memory chips, that'll have to wait until later

You've done more than enough and more than anyone else had the stones to do. You don't want to reuse the exposed thermal paste either but you don't have any new stuff on hand. Next time I'll ship some silver paste to you. I know I've got some lying around but its about 4 years old -- I don't think it goes bad though. Thanks for doing this and posting pictures!

Sorry guys. No more thermal paste on hand. If you want to see the CPU and memory chips, that'll have to wait until later

Nice work man, you have cast iron balls. One question for you and the thread in general. Did you purchase FSD? Is it possible, people that purchased FSD up front could have different hardware? More then likely not, but just trying to eliminate the idea card on @kdday pre purchased options.

For comparison I understand Google/Alphabet/Waymo engineers estimated that they need commodity 50 teraflops hardware to commercialize self-driving vehicles. I'm not sure if Tesla's engineers would agree, but if so the hardware looks easy to swap out.

Things get alot dicey when u have to make a prediction for every object on the road in real time. Plus they have a back up redundant system.

g6U9sBO.jpg

nzVC6X.gif

Total speculation here but is it possible that Tesla purposely under-spec'ed this setup to accommodate AP1 parity (and maybe a little beyond that) with the understanding that it would never support full level 5 autonomy and that they'd have to upgrade these cars prior to that rollout?

A few reasons for thinking this:

1. I vaguely recall Nvidia stating that you'd need two of the dual CPU versions for full self driving. Everyone speculated that Tesla would try to make one with, presumably with their own software. But making one of the single CPU versions work seems like a stretch.
Actually it says that right on the Nvidia website:
DRIVE PX 2 FOR AUTOCRUISE
Small form factor DRIVE PX 2 for AutoCruise is designed to handle functions including highway automated driving, as well as HD mapping.

DRIVE PX 2 FOR AUTOCHAUFFEUR
DRIVE PX 2 configuration with two SoCs and two discrete GPUs is available today for point-to-point travel.

DRIVE PX 2 FOR FULLY AUTONOMOUS DRIVING
Multiple fully configured DRIVE PX 2 systems can be integrated in a single vehicle to enable autonomous driving.
Autonomous Car Development Platform from NVIDIA DRIVE PX2

Before, most people thought Tesla had Autochauffeur. Now we know they have something between Autocruise and Autochauffeur (more accurately, something equivalent to like half an Autochauffeur board). In neither case does it meet Nvidia's criteria for FSD (which is multiple Autochauffeur boards).

Last edited: