Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation of Auto Pilot hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an early 2013 Model S and was told at a recent visit to the Chicago Service Center that I could have installed the sensors necessary for the Auto Pilot for $2300 plus installation ( cost ?). Has anyone done this and if so what's your experience with the process?

I have an early 2013 Model S and was told at a recent visit to the Chicago Service Center that I could have installed the sensors necessary for the Auto Pilot for $2300 plus installation ( cost ?). Has anyone done this and if so what's your experience with the process?

Are you able to validate this? This is the first I've heard of a possible retrofit. If a retrofit is coming, it would be great to get some certainty. Thanks!

I wish it was true, that would be awesome! But... I remember a lot of research about the feasibility of doing such an upgrade and it just didn't work. The cost was about $20K in parts. From my memory... Entirely new braking system, entirely new steering system, new windshield. Multiple wiring harnesses, New body panels for the sensors (front and rear fascia) and painted. New rear view mirror assembly, multiple new wiring harnesses. Also all the electronics and sensors. There are multiple other parts that need to be changed to mount all of this stuff, I just can't remember them all. For me it was cheaper to trade in and upgrade from a new P85+ to a P85D, than retrofit the autopilot hardware.

Reactions: iplugin
I wish it was true, that would be awesome! But... I remember a lot of research about the feasibility of doing such an upgrade and it just didn't work. The cost was about $20K in parts. From my memory... Entirely new braking system, entirely new steering system, new windshield. Multiple wiring harnesses, New body panels for the sensors (front and rear fascia) and painted. New rear view mirror assembly, multiple new wiring harnesses. Also all the electronics and sensors. There are multiple other parts that need to be changed to mount all of this stuff, I just can't remember them all. For me it was cheaper to trade in and upgrade from a new P85+ to a P85D, than retrofit the autopilot hardware.

Yup I did the same research. There's just no way they can retrofit for $2300. Even just the ludicrous upgrade on the P85D is $5000 in parts and it is a much simpler upgrade, just replacing the battery fuse and loading software.

Its been confirmed by Elon that its not happening.

Daniel Sparks on Twitter:

Untitled4.png

Reactions: iplugin
Old thread but......I just called the Daina Beach Service Center for a wheel alignment and when asked is that all we are doing? Joking said "and retro fit Auto Pilot" the answer was; do you already have the parts?..... I said I was joking but do you mean this can be done??? how much???
She went away and came back a few seconds later around $2.5-3k

I left it there as I am assuming she was mistaken