Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation of outlet 240V nema14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Second week since i purchase my model s 70D. I had an electrician install a 240v nema 14-50 outlet and he used a 40amp breaker. However, i notice i'm going getting 32A from the outlet. My buddy used a 50amp breaker and he's getting 40amp.

my breaker is not tripping and I'm just curious why i'm not getting a higher Amperage. The electrician is coming back to put in a 50a breaker but thought i would put this question to the forum.

Your thoughts?

i notice i'm going getting 32A from the outlet. My buddy used a 50amp breaker and he's getting 40amp.

As previous poster noted, Tesla downrated the 14-50 "adaptor" that you attach to the charging cord (aka UMC) which then plugs into the wall receptacle.

It was 40A for early 2013/4 owners, and switched to 32A in 2015. I have a 32A adaptor from my 2015 purchase.

So, good thing you also have the 32A adaptor, as that is the proper amperage for your 40A breaker. Don't change anything, it's working!

As previous poster noted, Tesla downrated the 14-50 "adaptor" that you attach to the charging cord (aka UMC) which then plugs into the wall receptacle.

It was 40A for early 2013/4 owners, and switched to 32A in 2015. I have a 32A adaptor from my 2015 purchase.

So, good thing you also have the 32A adaptor, as that is the proper amperage for your 40A breaker. Don't change anything, it's working!
I'm a little confuse - a friend has the exact same setup but he used a 50amp breaker and he's getting 40amp instead of 32.

Does anyone else have a 50amp breaker and getting 40amp?

I'm a little confuse - a friend has the exact same setup but he used a 50amp breaker and he's getting 40amp instead of 32.

Does anyone else have a 50amp breaker and getting 40amp?

The Canadian Electrical code calls for a 50 amp breaker for anything that is NOT a range. Proper wire size as well. See my post :New UMC?.

Note: In Ontario all new UMC NEMA 14-50 adapters are now limited to 32 amps. I suspect it may have to do with the new cUL approvals on the device