TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Installation of outlet 240V nema14-50

Discussion in 'Canada' started by juschilin, Apr 9, 2016.

1. juschilin

juschilin Member

Second week since i purchase my model s 70D. I had an electrician install a 240v nema 14-50 outlet and he used a 40amp breaker. However, i notice i'm going getting 32A from the outlet. My buddy used a 50amp breaker and he's getting 40amp.

my breaker is not tripping and I'm just curious why i'm not getting a higher Amperage. The electrician is coming back to put in a 50a breaker but thought i would put this question to the forum.

Your thoughts?

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Electrical code only permits 80% of a circuit's rated amperage to be delivered when powering a continuous load device, which an EV is considered to be.

3. mpmeyer

mpmeyer Member

• Informative x 1
  4. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

As previous poster noted, Tesla downrated the 14-50 "adaptor" that you attach to the charging cord (aka UMC) which then plugs into the wall receptacle.

It was 40A for early 2013/4 owners, and switched to 32A in 2015. I have a 32A adaptor from my 2015 purchase.

So, good thing you also have the 32A adaptor, as that is the proper amperage for your 40A breaker. Don't change anything, it's working!

5. juschilin

juschilin Member

I'm a little confuse - a friend has the exact same setup but he used a 50amp breaker and he's getting 40amp instead of 32.

Does anyone else have a 50amp breaker and getting 40amp?

6. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

The Canadian Electrical code calls for a 50 amp breaker for anything that is NOT a range. Proper wire size as well. See my post :New UMC?.

Note: In Ontario all new UMC NEMA 14-50 adapters are now limited to 32 amps. I suspect it may have to do with the new cUL approvals on the device

7. go.mouse

go.mouse Member

8. juschilin

juschilin Member

Thank you.