Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed! Austin MY C Pillars for Parcel Shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I’m on the road…

The service center ordered all the parts I needed to install the partial shelf. Call me back up and told me they could not install it in my car because it wasn’t an Texas built Model Y.

Is that a load of poop?

I’m trying to figure out whether I just go there take the parts home and install it myself or what? Or if I missed something and it really only works in a Texas units?

Folks, I’m on the road…

The service center ordered all the parts I needed to install the partial shelf. Call me back up and told me they could not install it in my car because it wasn’t an Texas built Model Y.

Is that a load of poop?

I’m trying to figure out whether I just go there take the parts home and install it myself or what? Or if I missed something and it really only works in a Texas units?
I’ve heard the same. I told them to order the parts anyway. The order includes install… go figure

Folks, I’m on the road…

Is that a load of poop?

I installed the new panels on my Fremont built 2022 MY

Reactions: GBMaryland
I now have firsthand experience as to why Tesla is so absolutely c-r-a-p-p-y with both customer service and repair work at the service centers.

I went over to the service center to get the parts for the parcel shelf retrofit, the Rockville Maryland Tesla service center just refused to install in my Fremont MY 22.

Then I found out they don’t have the parts I told them to order to install in the car; even though I gave them the specific part numbers I wanted ordered and installed they decided to change that to whatever they felt like ordering…

Then they sent me a message, saying they can’t retrofit the parts I ordered into the car because they didn’t come with my car; the Rockville service center didn’t order the parts for the Texas MY parcel shelf retrofit to begin with, so they’re feeding me a bullshit line because they couldn’t do the work anyway.

Then they gave me the line about not being able to install the parcel shelf parts because it didn’t come with my car….

What an absolute bunch of losers.

They also didn’t like it when I gave them crap about the fact that they didn’t do what I told them to do. (E. G. Order the parts using these part numbers and install them in my car, and that if you can’t install the parts ordered them and I’ll pick them up.)

Santa Ana Service Center (in SoCal) was able to order for me and do the install. I asked them to hold initially since I planned to install it myself, but after needing to be there for service anyways, I asked them if they could install it there. The guy who helped me said he doesn't see why they wouldn't be able to. Got it installed, but part of the driver side c-pillar wasn't installed correctly (it won't pop into place and rattles a lot while driving). I'm debating if I should just fix it myself or have them do it when I go back for my final (hopefully) service appointment.

Santa Ana Service Center (in SoCal) was able to order for me and do the install. I asked them to hold initially since I planned to install it myself, but after needing to be there for service anyways, I asked them if they could install it there. The guy who helped me said he doesn't see why they wouldn't be able to. Got it installed, but part of the driver side c-pillar wasn't installed correctly (it won't pop into place and rattles a lot while driving). I'm debating if I should just fix it myself or have them do it when I go back for my final (hopefully) service appointment.
I assume its the lower seam section that rattles? If so you might be missing the white clips people here posted recently. (clips the lower and upper C pillar together)

My only reason to install it, waiting for the dual pane rear windows & see if it's able to upgrade & do this along with it as well.
I'm frustrated. I ordered in app and received estimate etc for the necessary parts. Messaged advisor and in the back forth he advised last part (the shelf) would be till the 3rd so wpushed my appointment to the 6th.
I arrived and was told 2 things:
A) the parts were never ordered because
B) the parts won't fit because there's no such thing as a Austin retrofit to a Fremont build....
Huh? 🤔
After some friendly debate with the service manager he understood that this was in fact possible although they've never done it and therefore they don't know anything about it but if I wanted he can sell me the parts over the counter and they can try installing it or I can do it myself...
Perfect....now another 2 week wait.
Now, I still don't understand how the parts weren't ordered initially

Folks, I’m on the road…

Is that a load of poop?

Your SC has decided they do not want to bother installing it even though you are willing to pay OR Tesla has instructed SC to no longer install 🤷‍♂️. Others on here have had tesla mobile techs come out and install in the past . The parts will work in 2022 model y. Plenty of success stories.

Reactions: GBMaryland
The answer ends up being that the Rockville, MD SC didn't order the parts I requested, even though I gave them the part numbers.

The then decided that they "don't do that" work, and told me to come pick up the car.

What appears to have actually happened is that the Rockville, MD SC screwed up the order and didn't want to take responsibility in case I complained. As such, in an attempt to cover their butts, they simply told me that they don't do that work.

When I pressed the service guy (at the desk) he eventually relented and more or less agreed that that was the case. (He tried everything he could to not take responsibility for the massive waste of my time, spending of Tesla's Uber credits (~$100 worth), and ordering the wrong parts; I showed up and told them I wanted the parts they ordered for the job... and THEN the truth came out because they didn't have the parts.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
The answer ends up being that the Rockville, MD SC didn't order the parts I requested, even though I gave them the part numbers.

The then decided that they "don't do that" work, and told me to come pick up the car.

What appears to have actually happened is that the Rockville, MD SC screwed up the order and didn't want to take responsibility in case I complained. As such, in an attempt to cover their butts, they simply told me that they don't do that work.

When I pressed the service guy (at the desk) he eventually relented and more or less agreed that that was the case. (He tried everything he could to not take responsibility for the massive waste of my time, spending of Tesla's Uber credits (~$100 worth), and ordering the wrong parts; I showed up and told them I wanted the parts they ordered for the job... and THEN the truth came out because they didn't have the parts.
Hopefully you have an alternate SC you can use for ordering or perhaps you have a pal who can order for you from their SC and Send parts to you. I’d try another local SC first.

I just completed my install. I got the parts via the app in Delray Beach FL. I felt that the driver side was easier. Watched videos and read everyone’s posts. You definitely need to order a socket extension. Maybe a 3 and 6 inch one. I noticed a lot of clips missing and a lot of broken glass behind my top panels I replaced. The roof shattered when the collision center in Orlando. It’s definitely doable just take your time.