Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having trouble with DirectLine?

I can't seem to amend a quote, or get a new quote.
I tried to get a quote with them a couple of days ago and i kept getting "We're experiencing difficulties at the moment. Please try again later."

I'm swapping my E-Niro with a MY and in the end I phoned my current insurer, Admiral, and they quoted me an extra £105 for the year vs the E-Niro, which is £500 in total. On Moneysupermarket the cheapest I got was £2500! I'm 41yo 6Y NCB but I live in London.

I tried to get a quote with them a couple of days ago and i kept getting "We're experiencing difficulties at the moment. Please try again later."

I'm swapping my E-Niro with a MY and in the end I phoned my current insurer, Admiral, and they quoted me an extra £105 for the year vs the E-Niro, which is £500 in total. On Moneysupermarket the cheapest I got was £2500! I'm 41yo 6Y NCB but I live in London.
Yeah I tried yesterday and its the same today. Tried a quote for a different make and it was fine. Maybe the Tesla quote is bugged.

Thanks for confirming. I will probably give them a call tomorrow as they were the cheapest quote at £690 for a M3LR

In a bizarre turn of events, Churchill are now covering my new MYLR (picking up today) cheaper than my old M3LR. I have tried over the past month to get quotes on their site with no luck. I was just about to pull the trigger on Admiral policy at a couple of hundred more than what I'm paying for my M3LR at the moment. I decided to try one last attempt with Churchill. Logged in and selected 'change car', after filling in the details and then speaking with the agent on chat, they told me they could cover it and as a bonus I'd be receiving a refund of over £60!

Surprised and pleased!

In a bizarre turn of events, Churchill are now covering my new MYLR (picking up today) cheaper than my old M3LR... I'd be receiving a refund of over £60!

Surprised and pleased!
I pick up our MYLR next week, called Churchill to change the car from M3LR to MYLR and they're giving me £82 back. I'd already got quotes from Compare The Market, lowest being £300 more than the current M3 policy with Churchill so was bracing myself for an increase. Very pleased with the outcome!

Reactions: boater291
when I got my insurance set up about a month ago there was a good number of companies showing reasonable prices, admiral for one and I secured a quote just over £500, however if I search now they say none available or maybe show one or 2 companies around the £2k mark - Have I missed something here and so glad I secured when I did ?

That's pretty common, you should find results start appearing again after a few months. Insurers like to play games with their use of the comparison sites, I've noticed before that my current insurer will remove themselves from search results 45-60 days before renewal so you can't get a super-cheap example (to barter with) before their renewal lands.

Y arrives Monday. LV= won't insure it "as not on their system" even though they insure my 3. LV= even promoting electric car insurance at the moment to add insult to injury. Tesla just puts through to Direct Line which like Churchill and GoCompare does not recognise Ys. Admiral direct quotes £100 more than going through Confused but at least it recognises the car.
Tesla need to inform the brokers, underwriters and purveyors of fine insurance about their new car!

Y arrives Monday. LV= won't insure it "as not on their system" even though they insure my 3. LV= even promoting electric car insurance at the moment to add insult to injury. Tesla just puts through to Direct Line which like Churchill and GoCompare does not recognise Ys. Admiral direct quotes £100 more than going through Confused but at least it recognises the car.
Tesla need to inform the brokers, underwriters and purveyors of fine insurance about their new car!
Direct Line definitely do recognise the Model Y, I got a quote from them last week.

That's pretty common, you should find results start appearing again after a few months. Insurers like to play games with their use of the comparison sites, I've noticed before that my current insurer will remove themselves from search results 45-60 days before renewal so you can't get a super-cheap example (to barter with) before their renewal lands.
But removed just for you? Everyone else has a different renewal date (or more accurately about 364 other dates spread across the population!)

Unless they have you tracked with cookies etc. Next time do it through a private page

Are you still looking for inception dates +1 month from now?

Prices go up the closer you get to the date you’re looking to start the policy, as the insurers assume you’re more desperate. It sucks but it is what it is.

Perhaps some of those companies won’t quote because of it.

But removed just for you? Everyone else has a different renewal date (or more accurately about 364 other dates spread across the population!)

Unless they have you tracked with cookies etc. Next time do it through a private page
It matches based on your name, address and number plate. If you change those you get a result, a private browser window doesn't help in the least bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overworked