Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior, exterior and driving experience within spec??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody. Hope everybody is safe and sound. I recently picked up a Model Y. Was told that the fit and finish is within spec by the sales associate. What do you guys think?

In addition to the fit and finish, the two biggest concerns I have are cabin noise and driving experience.
1. Can hear street noise, e.g. loud cars, at low speed. Can hear a lot of wind noise at driver seat on high way, i.e. traveling at 50 mph or above. Car possibly has poor seal around windshield, driver's door, or top glass roof. Also experience rattle noise in the back row at low and high speed.
2. Car does not seem to want to drive in a straight path. Have to turn steering wheel 5-10 degrees clockwise for the car to go straight. Still steering wheel wants to turn counterclockwise every few seconds when driving. Clockwise turning force has to be applied on the steering wheel constantly to correct the auto counterclockwise rotation for the car to travel in a straight path. Possibly due to misaligned steering wheel, tires or suspension?

Has any of you guys experienced these problems?
Already scheduled a service appointment. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 4. Malalignment 2nd row right door.jpg
    4. Malalignment 2nd row right door.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 5. Malalignment 2nd row left door.jpg
    5. Malalignment 2nd row left door.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 320
  • 6. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    6. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 349
  • 7. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    7. Taillight malalignment.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 15. Windshield not sealed all around.jpg
    15. Windshield not sealed all around.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 16. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    16. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 17. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    17. Top glass leaking, not sealed.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 18. Front left door bottom seal detached.jpg
    18. Front left door bottom seal detached.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 324
  • 20. Top left speaker no sound.jpg
    20. Top left speaker no sound.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 24. Steering wheel has to be rotated 5-10 degrees clockwise to travel in straight path.jpg
    24. Steering wheel has to be rotated 5-10 degrees clockwise to travel in straight path.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 307
Do you hear front motor noise (high pitch) when cruising (light pressure on accelerator)? I do on mine, especially when going 35-45mph...I also hear an intermittent pulsing / oscillating sound from the front motor. Really annoying. Just curious if you've experienced the same thing.

..... Was told that the fit and finish is within spec by the sales associate. What do you guys think?......

If you were given this plate, then yes!

J/k :eek::D

Had some of those, misaligned panel and gaps.
Some were fixed, some are still "due bill".
My steering wheel is also tilted about the same - although it got better after few weeks. It does not pull to the right anymore too.

Keep good record of orig date/mileage when you first reported the issues - Tesla service center/delivery team sometimes forget and deny things. I had to show them time stamp and mileage for my "due bill" items - they lost any record and did not order parts until I asked few weeks after without update.

Good Luck!

Screenshot_20200228-221805_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do you hear front motor noise (high pitch) when cruising (light pressure on accelerator)? I do on mine, especially when going 35-45mph...I also hear an intermittent pulsing / oscillating sound from the front motor. Really annoying. Just curious if you've experienced the same thing.

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. Honestly I have only driven the car once or twice. I haven't experienced it. Hopefully it does not come up later.

If you were given this plate, then yes!

J/k :eek::D

Had some of those, misaligned panel and gaps.
Some were fixed, some are still "due bill".
My steering wheel is also tilted about the same - although it got better after few weeks. It does not pull to the right anymore too.

Keep good record of orig date/mileage when you first reported the issues - Tesla service center/delivery team sometimes forget and deny things. I had to show them time stamp and mileage for my "due bill" items - they lost any record and did not order parts until I asked few weeks after without update.

Good Luck!

View attachment 550266

Thanks! Already did it. I read on this forum somewhere that service won't cover if the car has over 100 miles. I mean the delivery center from my home alone is 50 miles already.....

Reactions: ilikemypizza
Update:
Drove the car to service center on Friday 6-12-20. Won't be done until 6-15-20. But an email was just sent to me saying one of the parts has to be ordered. So now who knows how long service will take. This is absurd for a $50k plus car. Asked them about extending return policy. They said no. I have only had the chance to test the car out for 1 day out of the 7 days. It is ridiculous they won't extend return policy considering most of the 7 days the car is in service. What would you guys do in this case? Return it right away or just test it out again to see if problems are fixed after service? Do problems 1 and 2 seem like major defects?

VIN: 100**

@BalletJH, it's up to you on returning it, but I'll tell you the trim pieces have a LOT of give up and down. They usually just adjust it by hand.The glass roof seems on par from what I've seen. But to your point, you should be happy! Also remember, even though they talk a good game, they don't want you to return the car. So I'd push them to get as much done before the 7 days are up, and then look and see what they've fixed. If you're happy, great. If not, return it. Unfortunately, you won't be able to order that trim again for a year, even though it's not your fault. The only one I wouldn't worry about is the alignment, but then again, that should be relatively easy to fix now. Good luck!

If you plan to keep, get everything in writting and documented. Make sure you have it in writting it will get fixed. Especially any paint issues, you have 100 miles to report them.

Many have seen my album, I have total of 26 items. But again, will only find them if on a mission to look for them. Tesla for sure will fix 24 items and 2 items are within spec claims, which I will push further since they have it documented. We will see.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: daviddfann