Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla solved that first problem. You should be able to see a whole bunch of other cars at superchargers soon because others are all dropping the CCS port.

I've never understood the desire to have paddle shifters. One pedal driving is great. Personally I don't want one pedal and one paddle driving. I wonder if toyota will put paddle regen control in their cars along with their fake gear boxes! Woudn't that be fun? No you don't need to simplify anymore. You can have controls in 3 separate areas!
The EV watching comment wasn't a problem, just something to do while waiting. And everybody being able to charge at Tesla SCs is a great thing for EVs overall.

I like the paddle shifters because some of my passengers get motion sickness by the abruptness of the Tesla regen... even if they are driving. Even the lowest regen setting in the Y (Creep?) doesn't offer true coasting which if you remember from the ICE days, was the OG way to hypermile. I don't have to go into the center screen, pick a setting etc... I can just change regen from the paddles. When I'm alone, I usually do one pedal while on streets and switch to Regen-0 on the freeway and use the paddles to "downshift" while exiting the freeway until I'm back to one-pedal.

And obv this is a Tesla forum so most will favor the Tesla ways of doing things... but if people don't provide alternative viewpoints... how does anyone improve their products?

Reactions: Ami-Sven
The EV watching comment wasn't a problem, just something to do while waiting. And everybody being able to charge at Tesla SCs is a great thing for EVs overall.

I like the paddle shifters because some of my passengers get motion sickness by the abruptness of the Tesla regen... even if they are driving. Even the lowest regen setting in the Y (Creep?) doesn't offer true coasting which if you remember from the ICE days, was the OG way to hypermile. I don't have to go into the center screen, pick a setting etc... I can just change regen from the paddles. When I'm alone, I usually do one pedal while on streets and switch to Regen-0 on the freeway and use the paddles to "downshift" while exiting the freeway until I'm back to one-pedal.

And obv this is a Tesla forum so most will favor the Tesla ways of doing things... but if people don't provide alternative viewpoints... how does anyone improve their products?
Does disabling regen and coasting actually give you any better mileage than just adjusting the throttle appropriately? I doubt it. Just hold the pedal in the right place, or if you're on the highway use autopilot.

High regen doesn't make for choppy driving, taking your foot completely off the pedal is what does it. Just like in an ICE I would remove my foot from the gas, then coast, then feather the brakes to come to a smooth stop, I slowly disengage the accelerator pedal to get various amounts of regen and come to a complete stop without ever pressing the brakes. It's all about using the controls in an an analog manner, not binary on/off.

Reactions: Iron and DrGriz
@phigment

Again, not arguing that paddles are better or whatever... just providing another point of view. And yes, I understand the dynamics of one pedal driving... it's the other people who drove the Y who had issues with it, even in low-regen mode (because the Y does NOT have a 0-regen mode).

One thing coasting does is reduce ankle/foot fatigue. You also have to put more pressure on the pedal in one-pedal mode to maintain the same speed in lower regen modes.

Just like one pedal driving allows you to rest at a stoplight (or auto-hold for any ICE/EV cars equipped with that)... coasting is also helpful. And yes, you can use autopilot/CC to simulate "coasting".

As for efficiency, I recall some thread on here arguing the coasting is more efficient than using one-pedal recapture, especially on declines but I don't think the difference is big enough either way.

And it's not just highway, there are stretches of street driving where I can coast... though I'm usually in one-pedal mode but it's nice to have the option to switch out of it.

@phigment

Again, not arguing that paddles are better or whatever... just providing another point of view. And yes, I understand the dynamics of one pedal driving... it's the other people who drove the Y who had issues with it, even in low-regen mode (because the Y does NOT have a 0-regen mode).

One thing coasting does is reduce ankle/foot fatigue.

Just like one pedal driving allows you to rest at a stoplight (or auto-hold for any ICE/EV cars equipped with that)... coasting is also helpful. And yes, you can use autopilot/CC to simulate "coasting".

As for efficiency, I recall some thread on here arguing the coasting is more efficient than using one-pedal recapture, especially on declines but I don't think the difference is big enough either way.

And it's not just highway, there are stretches of street driving where I can coast... though I'm usually in one-pedal mode but it's nice to have the option to switch out of it.
Fair enough, options are nice. I just never saw the appeal of putting in the paddles., but to each their own.

How’s the app for the I5?

I loved how easy it is to use the Tesla, especially turning on AC or heat. Opening/unlocking features. And all the info u need.

The app is fine... you can control climate, locks, and even have remote surround view on the Limited trim. Tesla's is probably better but it's the same as most car apps out there now.

One thing I liked was the doors unlocked notification. Because the I5 does NOT have a walk-away lock (which even my Silverado had), my first few days of ownership I kept forgetting to lock the door. Then I would get a notification that the doors are still unlocked... so then I just lock them with the app.,

I do really dislike having to carry a key fob around... got spoiled on Tesla's PAAK.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and yellowr6
The app is fine... you can control climate, locks, and even have remote surround view on the Limited trim. Tesla's is probably better but it's the same as most car apps out there now.

One thing I liked was the doors unlocked notification. Because the I5 does NOT have a walk-away lock (which even my Silverado had), my first few days of ownership I kept forgetting to lock the door. Then I would get a notification that the doors are still unlocked... so then I just lock them with the app.,

I do really dislike having to carry a key fob around... got spoiled on Tesla's PAAK.

The app isn't very good. Its slow and you have to pay for the service after a year. It also is much slower on things like climate activation, charging activation, and it has a much more limited feature set. Tesla app is insanely good compared to everybody...you can set things like valet mode and have access to the route planner to understand how much battery you need to get to a location (not to mention having Supercharger locations on the app itself).

Not to mention having the app/phone as the key is such a nice feature...key fobs make the experience feel dated to be honest. These are things that the legacy OEMs will have trouble with because they are incompetent on software.

Personally I love Tesla's one-pedal driving and would not want to go back. But I can understand that some maybe do not like it. That said, I don't really get the appeal of the 'paddles' on the steering wheel as an alternative. If I did not have one-pedal driving, I would like the regen to be modulated by the brakes. My Ford C-Max hybrid worked that way - pushing the brake pedal first applied regen up to the maximum regen capacity, and beyond that applied the brake pads. The way that it worked was completely smooth with no perceptible transition between braking provided by the regen and the brake pads.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
...I like the paddle shifters because some of my passengers get motion sickness by the abruptness of the Tesla regen... even if they are driving...
If there is ANY abruptness, you haven't figured out how to modulate the accelerator pedal for one pedal driving. Tesla one pedal is remarkably smooth in all phases compared to others, especially since you can now select to integrate the regular brakes into program where regen is temporarily unavailable. WHY in the world do you need paddles when you can modulate the regen by how much you move the pedal???

Not sure why anyone would want to adjust the regen with paddles or even adjust regen to begin with while you are driving, but I will take your word for why you like it. My question is why is there any abruptness with your Tesla regen to begin with? Maybe that was the case for me on the first day I drove my car, but now muscle memory has taken over and it couldn't be more smooth (for both accelerating and decelerating).

Funny... all you people praising Tesla's implementation of one-pedal driving but are not taking into account drivers who also drive the car and have not adjusted to one pedal driving because it's not their regular car.

In my household we tend to share the different cars we have and Tesla does have the most abrupt one-pedal regen in the "normal" mode. Even in the lowest regen, it's still not zero... which may be fine to most of you but to those who are used to "coasting" in ICE cars (or even EVs with a very low or zero regen mode), it's noticeable.

I already explained my own use case on why I like to use the regen paddles, I use one-pedal in most street driving (and it's just as smooth as Tesla) and then on the freeway I switch it to Regen-0 and then back to one-pedal when I exit the freeway (using the different levels of regen to downshift).

I find the responses here and the "likes" of said responses a bit biased (as this is a Tesla forum) because this very thread is comparing the Ioniq 5 (which I now have driven for about a month) to the Y (which I had for 2 years). So this is my personal opinion... anyone else with the same experience want to share theirs?

Last edited:
Can the new feature in the latest version - ability to config the left scroll button, be used to mimic what Hyundai is doing with the regen pedal?
But why would you want to do that? (based on what everyone else is saying :) )

Last I checked, it's not one of the available shortcuts you can assign to the left button. And as I said, there is no REGEN-0 setting in the Y either.

But why would you want to do that? (based on what everyone else is saying :) )

Last I checked, it's not one of the available shortcuts you can assign to the left button. And as I said, there is no REGEN-0 setting in the Y either.
I've used REGEN-0 through the use of SEXY Buttons, I found it to absolutely awful. The car coasts like crazy and it was terrible having to brake at every opportunity. Honestly it takes about a hot second to get used the regen of the normal mode and then it works wonderfully. I actually wish I could get stronger regen setting through Tesla.

Really? What setting is that? I don't recall any real REGEN-0 coasting setting on our Y.
You need to buy the Sexy Buttons from Abstract Ocean, you can then select different regen settings. Along with a bunch of other useful settings that can be programmed into the buttons. It would be similar to the paddles in the Ioniq 5 if you set one button for full regen and another for let's say 50% regen or so.
You can google Sexy Buttons and find all the information on them.

Funny... all you people praising Tesla's implementation of one-pedal driving but are not taking into account drivers who also drive the car and have not adjusted to one pedal driving because it's not their regular car.

In my household we tend to share the different cars we have and Tesla does have the most abrupt one-pedal regen in the "normal" mode. Even in the lowest regen, it's still not zero... which may be fine to most of you but to those who are used to "coasting" in ICE cars (or even EVs with a very low or zero regen mode), it's noticeable.

I already explained my own use case on why I like to use the regen paddles, I use one-pedal in most street driving (and it's just as smooth as Tesla) and then on the freeway I switch it to Regen-0 and then back to one-pedal when I exit the freeway (using the different levels of regen to downshift).

I find the responses here and the "likes" of said responses a bit biased (as this is a Tesla forum) because this very thread is comparing the Ioniq 5 (which I now have driven for about a month) to the Y (which I had for 2 years). So this is my personal opinion... anyone else with the same experience want to share theirs?
I don't think one should expect to maintain status quo when using a new tech. Learn to use the new techniques when driving with new technology.

Should someone coming from a stick shift "downshift" their automatic transmission when coming to a stop? No, use the tech as it was intended; don't fault it for not behaving the same as the old way.

I don't think one should expect to maintain status quo when using a new tech.

No one is trying to maintain any status quo... if you look at the posts, everyone is questioning our preferences... not the other way around. Ironically, the only status quo trying to be maintained here is the Tesla one.

Not everyone is suited for a Tesla so I'm just providing a different point of view.

I love one-pedal driving, but for the same reason why I like not having to press on the brake when stopped, I also not like having to apply constant pressure on the accelerator when moving and I prefer to have the ability to choose that situation/configuration without having to add buttons or just dealing with it.
Should someone coming from a stick shift "downshift" their automatic transmission when coming to a stop?
But there is also a reason why people still love manuals and why some manuals are highly sought after because of how they prefer to drive. It's also why "sportier" automatics do have paddles or the ability to up/downshift.

If you set it on 0 regen it coasts like crazy, quite disconcerting at least for me.
Can you do that without the SEXY buttons? Seems strange no one has confirmed that. And.,.. why did you try REGEN 0 in the first place?

Last edited: