Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love one pedal driving and I also love the fact that regen means possibly never having to replace brake pads. Have I mentioned that its charging the battery too? :) Going from regen to a car that coasts is no issue for me. It's a quick adjustment. Old and new.

Also, regen on the highway is the highest form of charge due to the speed. Watch that green/black line at the top of your screen.

No one is trying to maintain any status quo... if you look at the posts, everyone is questioning our preferences... not the other way around. Ironically, the only status quo trying to be maintained here is the Tesla one.

Not everyone is suited for a Tesla so I'm just providing a different point of view.

I love one-pedal driving, but for the same reason why I like not having to press on the brake when stopped, I also not like having to apply constant pressure on the accelerator when moving and I prefer to have the ability to choose that situation/configuration without having to add buttons or just dealing with it.

But there is also a reason why people still love manuals and why some manuals are highly sought after because of how they prefer to drive. It's also why "sportier" automatics do have paddles or the ability to up/downshift.

Can you do that without the SEXY buttons? Seems strange no one has confirmed that. And.,.. why did you try REGEN 0 in the first place?
I tried the 0 regen setting for icy snowy days. What I found out that 0 regen is way to low, it's beneficial to have at least a little resistance, so I reset the button to do 50% . I only use that button on really icy days.

Really? What setting is that? I don't recall any real REGEN-0 coasting setting on our Y.

"Regen 0" is accomplished with your right foot.

Balancing the power/ regen line so it stays in the middle (no line on either side).

It's no where near as easy as just letting off the pedal and letting the car coast, but you can do it manually

You are varying regen with one pedal driving as you vary pressure on the pedal. Why in the world do you need paddles to do the same thing with an additional control?

Its related to the design of the system. 1 pedal driving on an E-GMP platform car isn't the most efficient mode as you are able to disengage the front motor through a clutch. If you are in Eco mode, regen is reduced and 1 pedal driving is turned off but on the highway, eco mode is the most efficient. Eco mode makes it about as efficient as a Model Y LR...i can get about 280 miles out of it (around 75-80mph).

In 1 pedal mode, the motors are fully engaged and overall less efficient on highway but more efficient in city. The paddles enable you to quickly shift the regen levels to best optimize the range and experience.

Tesla is like Apple...just optimizes the overall experience for the user vs. Hyundai which give you options (like Android)

Reactions: BigNerd and jsight
You are varying regen with one pedal driving as you vary pressure on the pedal. Why in the world do you need paddles to do the same thing with an additional control?
I think you have to drive one to see what use cases you may have.

I was the same way before I got the Ioniq... just wanted a way to set it to 1-pedal or REGEN-0-3 for the duration of the trip. But I found that having the option to change it while driving instead of having to get into the central display to change it had it's uses.

Most of the time I'm in one-pedal which is very similar to the Y so no worries there.

What I don't understand is on top of the "manual" regen modes, there is also an Auto regen mode that I haven't quite figured out the purpose of it.

I think you have to drive one to see what use cases you may have.

I was the same way before I got the Ioniq... just wanted a way to set it to 1-pedal or REGEN-0-3 for the duration of the trip. But I found that having the option to change it while driving instead of having to get into the central display to change it had it's uses.

Most of the time I'm in one-pedal which is very similar to the Y so no worries there.

What I don't understand is on top of the "manual" regen modes, there is also an Auto regen mode that I haven't quite figured out the purpose of it.

They are trying to optimize the regen experience. Its stronger regen during city driving and less strong during highway cruising.

Reactions: BigNerd
A relative of mine with an EV6 has just experienced ICCU failure for the second time. Now seeing law firm ads about it.

They better nip this in the bud. They have a major release coming with the EV9. They had a huge recall with their ICE vehicles some years back due to metal shavings left in the engines. They didn't really handle it too well either. Left a sour taste in a lot of mouths.

Last edited:
Both great cars. Drive both and see which one you like better.

Tesla has better range and power but the Ioniq has better interior, Carplay, and ventilated seats. Oddly enough I ended up going with the Tesla because it had a better stereo. Found the Bose stereo to be very lacking compared to the Tesla.
What sound system does Tesla use? Have you tried any devices to get Apple CarPlay in the Tesla?

Which is better when it comes to Tesla M3 LR vs IONIQ 6?
Do be aware that you asked this question on a Tesla forum, so be aware of that… However I am confident that I know enough about both cars that I can tell you that you should go with the Tesla. (I have driven both cars).

The Tesla is the car that a lot of people dream of, not the Hyundai. The Hyundai is definitely a cool car, don’t get me wrong, but the Tesla is special. The Tesla has a much more sporty driving experience, the Hyundai is more of a regular sedan. The Tesla is significantly faster in a straight line. 4 seconds 0-60 (upgradable to 3.5 with acceleration boost - this is with rollout subtracted) is a seriously quick car. You will have fun. Lots of fun.
With the Tesla, your car will receive updates that will give you new features every couple weeks. Pretty cool.
You absolutely do not need CarPlay with a Tesla. Apple Music is built in, and the ui is by far better than any other car. It’s not even comparable. Oh, and I forgot, the Tesla can drive itself (sorta kinda… Check out an FSD beta video for more on that. You can also find more about it on this forum).

By buying the Tesla you are getting something different. Something cool. People will ask you about it. People would ask you about the Hyundai too of course, but they will realize that it’s a Hyundai and quickly lose interest. This is unfortunate because the Hyundai truly is a cool car. If you are going for cool factor, 100% the Tesla.

Please go with the Tesla. You can actually take road trips with it. Hyundai hasn’t committed to NACS yet. It’s overall the better car.

IMPORTANT!!!! DO NOT BUY THE TESLA RIGHT NOW THOUGH. TESLA IS ABOUT TO Completely REFRESH THE MODEL 3 TO WHERE IF YOU BOUGHT ONE NOW IT WOULD BE PREHISTORIC 2 MONTHS LATER. WAIT UNTIL “PROJECT HIGHLAND” IS UNVEILED.

P.S. That Tesla sound system isn’t just better than the Hyundai, it’s the best in the automotive industry other than the more expensive teslas. I have sat in Bentleys that have 45k dollar sound systems that don’t sound as good. It’s absurdly good.

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa
IMPORTANT!!!! DO NOT BUY THE TESLA RIGHT NOW THOUGH. TESLA IS ABOUT TO Completely REFRESH THE MODEL 3 TO WHERE IF YOU BOUGHT ONE NOW IT WOULD BE PREHISTORIC 2 MONTHS LATER. WAIT UNTIL “PROJECT HIGHLAND” IS UNVEILED.
This. I advice everyone to buy Tesla whenever you ready, do not try to calculate the next Tesla move. They change the cars continuously. Also, if you are going for any updated model, expect that fit-and-finish to be less reproducible from car to car than now for several months from the start of production.