Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS definitions of what's a car vs SUV by manufacturer for $55k vs $80k price limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read the law as it doesn't apply to me, already having a car, but I thought this was intended to be a credit at point of sale, not a tax credit later on...? Or is it still a tax credit with an income provision....
It is always a tax credit with an income provision. But starting in 2024 you can claim it at point of sale. But if you end up not qualifying when you file your taxes you have to pay it back.

Reactions: acpd
Not surprised Y5 fell outside, given the vendetta between Biden and Musk.

Very surprised that Mach E fell out after going through the trouble with the convoluted inclusion of Mexico in the country of assembly definition to prop up Ford. Might there be a loophole where large portions of the price shifts from MSRP to dealer fee? Not applicable to Tesla of course since no dealers.

Reactions: WyoDude
Not surprised Y5 fell outside, given the vendetta between Biden and Musk.

Very surprised that Mach E fell out after going through the trouble with the convoluted inclusion of Mexico in the country of assembly definition to prop up Ford. Might there be a loophole where large portions of the price shifts from MSRP to dealer fee? Not applicable to Tesla of course since no dealers.
Not sure why everyone is complaining. This is good for consumers. This will force manufacturers to produce affordable EV.

If they don't want to build $55k small SUV, they don't have to.

Tesla had already been selling AWD 279 miles version for $60k earlier this year. I am sure they can come up with $55k version and leave LR at whatever price they fit.

Not sure why everyone is complaining. This is good for consumers. This will force manufacturers to produce affordable EV.

If they don't want to build $55k small SUV, they don't have to.

Tesla had already been selling AWD 279 miles version for $60k earlier this year. I am sure they can come up with $55k version and leave LR at whatever price they fit.
Exactly. People need affordable electric cars. If Tesla can’t produce EVs that are out of budget for most, let others do and benefit from the credit.

All,

Let's be clear Tesla won't lower MYLR $11k unless demand crumble. My guess is:

MY AWD(lower range): under $55k
MYLR: ~ $61k
MYP: ~$65k

So if ypu want tax credit, u get AWD version with 250 or 279 range. If ypu Wang LR or P,vu have to get 7 seat option.

For those who don't qualify for Tax credit, still great options at lower price fir all 3.
Price is already lowered like $7500-9000 with the existing inventory discount and free supercharger miles

A Model Y LR was $48,990 at the start of 2021

Price changes like these are not unusual for Tesla, ie the Model 3 LR went from $55k in late 2018 to $47k in 2019 before going back up to $57,990.

The Fed is keeping interest rates high until prices come down

Price is already lowered like $7500-9000 with the existing inventory discount and free supercharger miles

A Model Y LR was $48,990 at the start of 2021

Price changes like these are not unusual for Tesla, ie the Model 3 LR went from $55k in late 2018 to $47k in 2019 before going back up to $57,990.

The Fed is keeping interest rates high until prices come down
That would be nice if the do. Either way expect sub $55k Model Y to be available in January.

When MY first came out, they were only $3k more than M3.

I have been saying this for a while $66k is absolutely absurd price for MY LR. No one should have to pay that price. NO way Tesla can keep making us look fool to pay that. Consumers are finally speaking by their actions, which caused $7,500 off this month. Tesla knew $3,750 wasn't going to cut it, so true price for MY LR is $55k - $61k. Depending on demand.

I have been saying this for a while $66k is absolutely absurd price for MY LR. No one should have to pay that price. NO way Tesla can keep making us look fool to pay that. Consumers are finally speaking by their actions, which caused $7,500 off this month. Tesla knew $3,750 wasn't going to cut it, so true price for MY LR is $55k - $61k. Depending on demand.
I agree, the huge backlog in early 2022 got people into panic buying and it's just not sustainable. Remember the MYSR was as low as $39,990, did manufacturing cost for Tesla grow over the past 2 years? For sure, but not by 50%, probably not even 25%. So there is absolutely room to lower the MYSR price to somewhere around $50k, on the other hand even though I believe Tesla can still make a decent profit selling MYLR at $55k they probably won't cut price that drastically.

Reactions: electricar and acpd
Is it possible in Q1, we could see the 5-seater MYLRs and MYPs get to keep the discount/incentive? Could we expect them to start to see lots of late configuration changes, with delivery refusals to move to 7 Seaters? Would we see them try to clear our current inventory like they are currently with Q4 2022 discounts and incentives? I expect the build allocation to change dramatically from primarily 5-seater LRs to 7-seater LRs. This assumes Tesla would push people to 7 Seater rather than reduce the MSRP of 5 Seater. Also, many inventory cars potentially, especially since some people may be configuration locked and might opt to decline delivery.

Yeah then the tow hitch effectively becomes an $8500 option if it crosses the threshold. You’d be better off getting a loaded MYLR with 7 seats compared to a base model 5-seater with just 1 option.

This assumes that the base price of the Y will drop by $11k in the first place which is not likely.

Tesla will dealer install the tow hitch for $1300.

I would gladly buy an LR for $55K with a deduction and pay for the hitch.
I'm out of the Tesla market at $66K without a deduction.

In any case, I'm not in the market until HW4 and 4680 drop.

Last edited:
A nitpick: A dealer is a second party franchise associated with one or more manufacturers selling to a third party. It's the traditional model of all ICE brands. Tesla doesn't sell to dealers, they sell directly to the buyer. Teslas are delivered to service centers for the buyer to pick up, or home delivery. Tesla auto work is done at a Tesla service center.

Last edited: