Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone actually buying the 40 kWh Model S at this point?

I planned on puchasing a 40 kWh Model S

• The S40 still fits my needs, and I am still getting one

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I am going with a S60

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I cancelled my reservation

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other thing about the Tesla Model S 40kWh model. Tesla continues to advertise based on cost of the 40kWh model at $49900 with Federal Tax Credit. Tesla Model S 40kWh model is presently not available for sale, yet to be seen or tested. The advertising at this time should be for the Tesla Model S 85kWh model available starting at $69900 with Federal Tax credit - (Tesla S 40kWh and 60kWh models will be available soon at a lower cost). Advertising a cars price in unknown availability status is wrong. I'm still unclear as to when the Tesla S 40kWh model will be produced and available for sale. Still Disappointed

Are you saying that Tesla shouldn't have released pricing for the Model S until they started shipping? Are you saying they shouldn't have a price for the production 85kWh cars because they are not in production? I signed a MVPA for a car that is not in production same as you. Just because they are not producing the cars in strict order of reservations doesn't make what they are doing shady, or wrong, or bad.

I feel and understand your disappointment. It is a fair feeling. But Tesla has been advertising that 40kWh cars would have later availability than 85kWh cars, and 60kWh cars. And with pretty much everybody being delayed 6-8 weeks I would expect everyone to see that they may have been delayed 6-8 weeks. I know their website has at least said 'enters production Dec 2012' before people started signing MVPAs. I don't see how you would expect your car this year realistically.

Again I understand you disappointment. It isn't wrong. But Tesla isn't doing anything wrong or sketchy for you to feel that way. It is just that everything seems to be delayed about a month. I think they work back into their backlog in Jan and Feb (because 1000 cars then isn't 2+ months production, it is about 2-3 weeks worth). I guarantee you Tesla wants to sell you a car as soon as possible.

EDIT: It says 'winter 2012' now. Which doesn't even start until December 21st. 10 days with Christmas in the middle is a tough window to squeeze in your 40kWh car.

Hi Peter. Is your car P-174 going to be delayed? My statement was they didn't have to change production to continue making the present cars. (Presently I'm watching a large number of people leap frogging me just because they will spend more money. Tesla also doesn't have to make any changes to production, its simply easier and the best method for a faster profit.) I know they will have to alter the production line to make other models and options. When I first ordered a Tesla S none of the things such as executives, Signatures Series, prior Roadster owners or anything else was mentioned pertaining to delaying the reservation order. I understand loyalty and executives but money shouldn't have been a factor for delivery. Tesla has just adjusted reservations to fit their own needs. In school, they taught me that was wrong. Tesla just said give me money for a preorder reservation with no other explanations from Tesla pertaining to possible delays when production began. Question; If you go to a restaurant and someone comes in and gets the table you have been waiting for a long time just because they are going to spend more, would you be disappointed in the restaurants decision or would you speak up? I haven't seen anything from Tesla explaining the delay is based on new crash testing being required for the lower kWh cars. I would somewhat more understanding. I am trying to be patient but my number is still in those production numbers being made even based on your numbers. Everyone should have waited or discount (pay a fine) based on the delay of preorder reservation. That's fair. Still Disappointed

Hey David,

Yes, P174 is delayed from the optimistic projections of a year ago, or six months ago, 3 months ago, or even 4 weeks ago. Sigs have also been significantly delayed from what was originally hoped. There are qute a few very long treads on TMC that speak to those delays.

As for money buying an early spot, right or wrong that is just the way it is. Tesla had both the Signature reservations and the Roadster owners lists from day 1, and I know that as I reserved on the first day they allowed it. There are some ahead of me that reserved prior to the first day, they sent a check in, without any type of contract or rules and just pleaded to be placed on a list, was that fair? I think so. Now Tesla did not make that as clear as they could have back then, but it was there. And, I do think that giving a startup company 40K when it is near collapse, for a product that is little more than vaporware does deserve to move you to the front of the line.

Per your resturant question, yes, I regularly see tables that have been resereved for high end diners, or tables that are given to those that slip a few dollars to the mater dei, and those diners walk right in and sit down ahead of me. Is that, eh, but that certainly is the way it is.

Tesla has been showing winter 2012 for the start of production of the 40KWH batteries for quite some time. I have always understood that "winter 2012" when stated by any silicon vally company means anywhere between December 21, 2012 and March 19th 2013, and with the way schedules for everything slip, ususally on the later side of that window.

Peter

Half the range and power, less seating, a fraction of the storage, etc.? Well, à chacun son goût.
Have recently test driven the Leaf. The car seemed small inside and lacked oomph on the highway. However, it was fun to drive sort of like a car at an amusement park. The base Model S would probably be close to 15K more in price , but I submit you are getting much more car. I have reserved the base 40 in Silver, currently no add ons. Black leather interior interests me but I'm concerned about embarking on That Slippery Slope as every extra does have its appeal

Have recently test driven the Leaf. The car seemed small inside and lacked oomph on the highway. However, it was fun to drive sort of like a car at an amusement park. The base Model S would probably be close to 15K more in price , but I submit you are getting much more car. I have reserved the base 40 in Silver, currently no add ons. Black leather interior interests me but I'm concerned about embarking on That Slippery Slope as every extra does have its appeal

Congrats. I'd still consider the tech package if nothing else. The Xenon headlights are worth the upgrade I would think (haven't seen the base headlights to compare yet though of course).

I've always planned on getting the 40KWH battery since the range is more than enough for 99% of the driving I do (I've had my current car for 11 years and it has ~47,000 miles on it). Superchargers don't change anything for me. The big unknown is really the reduced performance to be expected with a S40. As I posted in the Driving Dynamics section, it's surprising that we still have no idea what the S40 performance will be.

I'm a supporter of TESLA; however I do have to say their business model has a lot to be desired for the vast majority of car buyers out there. I did not think I would be asked to commit my $5,000 deposit before my car is built. I really thought I'd be able to go and test drive the exact model I want before buying. I did test the performance model and was very impressed - but a S40 may not provide the same experience.

Hey Peter,
I was saying that there is no such thing as a 40kWh Tesla S in existence - no specs, no testing, no demo, just in dream mode. They will deliver you another more expensive Signature or 85kWh model but they have no clue as to when their $49k advertised model will be available. I simply wouldn't agree to an extra $30k and watched a neighbor go right past me (he was P5000+) upgrading to the Signature series. His wait time wasn't even a year. Cash is still KING. Tesla production changes (40kWh in Winter 2012) were made after my deposit 3+ years ago. I can also help you and Tesla understand something (As for money buying an early spot, right or wrong that is just the way it is) is still not OK - period. I said I will wait but nothing makes me more upset than someone cutting in line. $40k X 1000 Signature or the simple S $5k X 10000 was still as important for their survival. Still disappointed.

For me i'm using it as a communter car, i'm looking for a nice luxury car with a nice rear seat for my two kids' car seats and that is not embarassing

I can drive it to a business lunch with a co-worker and it won't feel like a economy car (Leaf/Volt/Prius)

Plus the rated mileage of the 40kwh model is almost double the rated range of a Nissan Leaf

My daily commute is 44 miles, so I can deal with <160 mile range, but the Nissan Leaf @ 73 miles is a bit too close for comfort

Plus if i wanted to drive long distance (say to our house in Tahoe) I would drive my X5 Diesel with a range of over 500 miles.... no supercharging needed there...

Plus I'm not too concerned about the performance of the S40 vs P85 etc... it will be sharing my garage with Nissan GTR, Ferraris, Porsches, and AMG Mercedes :biggrin:

My 2 cents....I would just buy a LEAF over the 40 KWh model. :smile:

Nice stable you have there. I have a case of garage envy.

Since my Model S will be sharing a garage with only a Toyota Sienna I'm getting the 85kWh performance edition. :)

For me i'm using it as a communter car, i'm looking for a nice luxury car with a nice rear seat for my two kids' car seats and that is not embarassing

I can drive it to a business lunch with a co-worker and it won't feel like a economy car (Leaf/Volt/Prius)

Plus the rated mileage of the 40kwh model is almost double the rated range of a Nissan Leaf

My daily commute is 44 miles, so I can deal with <160 mile range, but the Nissan Leaf @ 73 miles is a bit too close for comfort

Plus if i wanted to drive long distance (say to our house in Tahoe) I would drive my X5 Diesel with a range of over 500 miles.... no supercharging needed there...

Plus I'm not too concerned about the performance of the S40 vs P85 etc... it will be sharing my garage with Nissan GTR, Ferraris, Porsches, and AMG Mercedes :biggrin: