Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it $10k? ( Any insight from Beta users)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i decided the 12k was worth it simply for auto lane change, to me everyone who buys a tesla is missing out not getting the full upgrade. if i didnt want the extras i would have kept my 2016 Golf R with auto steering and lane centering that was fantastic
Hmmm, our values differ. My Model 3 is a terrific car even without auto lane change, a feature I have but rarely use. I wouldn’t consider that an equivalent or lesser vehicle against a 2016 Golf R. FSD was a $3k upgrade in mid-2018 and even then was betting on the come, which hasn’t come. At $12k, I look at opportunity costs and that price for auto lane change and a lot of vapor ware pales in comparison to other things $12k buys of far greater value to me. Obviously YMMV.

FSD is one of the primary reasons I bought the Model Y. This could easily be my last car, and as I get older and more dotty and less able to pay attention and react quickly, the car will take care of me.

I bought it in 06/2020 and it was, IIRC, $4k. It jumped to $6k a week after I took delivery but the price of the car dropped $2k so it was a wash. I'd pay $12k for it now. It is constantly evolving, but even in its current form it handles interstate driving extremely well and makes a long drive no longer tiring. It prevented me from being in a four car accident on the interstate at 80 mph as it saw and predicted an illegal move by a crazy lady in an Audi that I would not have and moved to avoid a high speed collision by about two inches. What is not being in a serious accident worth?

With FSD In its current form it is about 8 to 10 times less likely to be in an accident compared to the average driver in the US despite all the whining about it. That's significant. And one can see previous issues disappear as new updates come out so it should get even safer.

I'm an adult and I did my research before purchasing the vehicle so I am not surprised at the glitches, I expect them. What Tesla is doing, replacing our visual system and brain with cameras/sensors and neural networks, is incredibly, incredibly difficult.

FSD is one of the primary reasons I bought the Model Y. This could easily be my last car, and as I get older and more dotty and less able to pay attention and react quickly, the car will take care of me.

I bought it in 06/2020 and it was, IIRC, $4k. It jumped to $6k a week after I took delivery but the price of the car dropped $2k so it was a wash. I'd pay $12k for it now. It is constantly evolving, but even in its current form it handles interstate driving extremely well and makes a long drive no longer tiring. It prevented me from being in a four car accident on the interstate at 80 mph as it saw and predicted an illegal move by a crazy lady in an Audi that I would not have and moved to avoid a high speed collision by about two inches. What is not being in a serious accident worth?

With FSD In its current form it is about 8 to 10 times less likely to be in an accident compared to the average driver in the US despite all the whining about it. That's significant. And one can see previous issues disappear as new updates come out so it should get even safer.

I'm an adult and I did my research before purchasing the vehicle so I am not surprised at the glitches, I expect them. What Tesla is doing, replacing our visual system and brain with cameras/sensors and neural networks, is incredibly, incredibly difficult.
If the OP hasn’t as yet decided...I think the above post should be the clincher

If the OP hasn’t as yet decided...I think the above post should be the clincher
Why? Because a random poster on a message board quoted a stat he/she made up about the reduction in accident probability with FSD. Also I've never seen any claim from Tesla that FSD has the ability to predict when another driver is gonna perform an illegal driving maneuver; that sounds like science fiction.
Elon himself said in February, "I'd be surprised if we don't achieve safer-than-human fully autonomous driving this year. It would surprise me". That suggests that even Elon Musk doesn't believe FSD is currently safer than human drivers.

I bought it on my original Model 3 and it was well worth it.

It was a lot harder to justify for the MYP I just bought as it was $10k... but I will say that I use it all the time.

I'm not as impressed by the minimum 2 car length requirement and the 80 MPH speed limit in the current iteration on the MYP I've got.

In stop and go traffic 2 car lengths causes a number of problems. Specifically, it causes issues with people cutting you off when they see large open space in front of you.

80 MPH is slightly low, given the 75 MPH speed limits have here... 90 MPH was perfect on my Model 3 and would be here too.

If this is not fixed, then FSD is worth significantly less.
It's 85 mph now, and will hit 90 as soon as Tesla is comfortable with its performance at speed.

It's 85 mph now, and will hit 90 as soon as Tesla is comfortable with its performance at speed.
85mph is pretty good for the AMD Ryzen processors. We may need dedicated ML cores like the Apple M processors in order to get faster processing speed in the near future. 90mph is not that far away but the reaction time needs to decrease the further we push the max speed since accidents can happen very quickly at high speeds. Realistically, we probably should not exceed 90mph since maneuvering at 90mph has multiple physics issues that make it unsafe for the current state of automobiles that are on public roads.

Reactions: laservet
Why? Because a random poster on a message board quoted a stat he/she made up about the reduction in accident probability with FSD. Also I've never seen any claim from Tesla that FSD has the ability to predict when another driver is gonna perform an illegal driving maneuver; that sounds like science fiction.
Elon himself said in February, "I'd be surprised if we don't achieve safer-than-human fully autonomous driving this year. It would surprise me". That suggests that even Elon Musk doesn't believe FSD is currently safer than human drivers.
FSD would work great if there were only other FSD vehicles on the roads. The false positives on the system are not that crazy. The most unpredictable thing on this planet is the stupidity of humans. No amount of processing power or common sense can surpass the unpredictability of human nature. There are lots of videos out there with the state of the current FSD Beta and also Wham Bam Teslacam where some situations are completely unpredictable. Some accidents are impossible to avoid. Tesla’s AI team has done a great job with FSD Beta so far but it’s still a Beta until they work out more issues. No human should trust FSD or even automated systems completely. It’s just a crutch/aid. Just look at the Boeing 737 Max autopilot systems and what happened with their crashes.

85mph is pretty good for the AMD Ryzen processors. We may need dedicated ML cores like the Apple M processors in order to get faster processing speed in the near future. 90mph is not that far away but the reaction time needs to decrease the further we push the max speed since accidents can happen very quickly at high speeds. Realistically, we probably should not exceed 90mph since maneuvering at 90mph has multiple physics issues that make it unsafe for the current state of automobiles that are on public roads.
I think Ryzen is just the Infotainment processor. The FSD chips are Samsung. Might be wrong.

If I recall correctly the FSD computer chips were actually designed by Tesla cooperation with somebody else and are specifically made for Tesla.

The infotainment head unit is either an Intel processor or an AMD processor depending on when the car was made. (and an X86–64 based chipset…. The only way Apple‘s new processors would work is if they can emulate X86 instruction sets quickly enough that they will be useful in real time application like this)

I ordered FSD Beta for $12k. I like to tinker and test systems. I also like having a driving assistant which takes some stress off of long trips or just daily driving. I’m a careful driver and I think it’s worth it since the current processors can handle the bulk of FSD functions. I’m not going to operate the vehicle inebriated or incapacitated and I’m definitely not trusting a machine to do all the driving. It’s a good feature where you can still pilot the vehicle and be extra attentive for any hazards or issues. For those that fly, most commercial flights have automated point to point as well as landing and take-off. I still don’t trust the system completely even though there is a fail safe and the processing power is really good. Machines are only as smart as the people that created them so any unforeseen issues, require a human or extremely advanced AI. I’ve driven multiple vehicles with semi-autonomy before and they work well enough that you don’t have to micromanage everything. FSD is really not that different. To me, the feature is worth the money and even though I haven’t received the vehicle yet, my opinion is based on user FSD video footage and other semi-autonomous features from other manufacturers.
Honestly, the stress of FSD on anything other than long open highway is greater than manual driving. Regular driving you really worry about other drivers. “FSD” you worry about other drivers AND FSD. People should be paying more attention and not less.

This is why I don’t have it. It’s not relaxing to me and would add stress.

I think Ryzen is just the Infotainment processor. The FSD chips are Samsung. Might be wrong.
Apologies, I stand corrected. I just read up on the FSD processors. Did Samsung already start supplying the new chips because the article I found said that was only September 2021 when they were looking to switch production and design to Samsung from Nvidia?

Honestly, the stress of FSD on anything other than long open highway is greater than manual driving. Regular driving you really worry about other drivers. “FSD” you worry about other drivers AND FSD. People should be paying more attention and not less.

This is why I don’t have it. It’s not relaxing to me and would add stress.
I completely understand. Different people will have different preferences. The street driving aspect is a lot more stressful than highway driving. It will be interesting to test the function.

The woman cut from the far right lane across three lanes of traffic at a speed exceeding 100 mph to try to get around my left when I was moving into the left lane to overtake the vehicle in front of me. I had JUST checked the rear view and side mirrors, nobody close, was clear for the pass, her move happened very quickly. I would not have caught her move because I had already checked and had plenty of clear space to pass. My car yanking itself back from the pass (and not overcorrecting) is what prevented the accident.

Musk also said in early 2019 that FSD would be available before the end of that year, so don’t read too much into his statements. You can figure it out yourself, it’s grade school math. I can’t find the figures I had for Q1 2022, but here they are, from Tesla.com, for Q4 2021:

“In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.59 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.”

Easy, peasy, like I said, just running Autopilot is much safer, 1/9 the average, than the average car.

Last edited:
The woman cut from the far right lane across three lanes of traffic at a speed exceeding 100 mph to try to get around my left when I was moving into the left lane to overtake the vehicle in front of me. I had JUST checked the rear view and side mirrors, nobody close, was clear for the pass, her move happened very quickly. I would not have caught her move because I had already checked and had plenty of clear space to pass. My car yanking itself back from the pass (and not overcorrecting) is what prevented the accident.

Musk also said in early 2019 that FSD would be available before the end of that year, so don’t read too much into his statements. You can figure it out yourself, it’s grade school math. I can’t find the figures I had for Q1 2022, but here they are, from Tesla.com, for Q4 2021:

“In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.59 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.”

Easy, peasy, like I said, just running Autopilot is much safer, 1/9 the average, than the average car.
You said FSD was 8 to 10 times safer than manual driving; autopilot is not FSD, it’s standard equipment not a 12K add-on.

Likewise collision avoidance is a standard feature not an optional add on which is what it sounds like happened in your example. The vehicle detected an obstruction in the lane you were attempted to enter and made a correction; it did not use advanced AI to predict the actions of your fellow driver. If you manually attempt to change lanes both FSD and autopilot are disengaged, so if you were manually changing lanes you must not have had either of the autonomous modes active at the time of your incident.

Finally it’s not quite as grade school simple as you and Tesla would make it out to be. Comparing accidents/mile while on autopilot vs not is only valid if you hold driving conditions constant in your test vs control. Autopilot is used on long stretches of highway travel when all you need to do is maintain speed and lane. Entering and exiting highways, navigating busy surface streets, making left turns across traffic, merging onto busy streets…these are all very different situations where autopilot cannot be used and have very different risk profiles. Comparing autopilot results to all other driving is a pretty worthless comparison because the driver of the result is just as likely as not to be the difference in conditions as it is the effectiveness of the technology.

Lots of great insight and advice from everyone. I have FSD added right now but I still might remove it before delivery. We’ll see. I’m really interested to see more of peoples thoughts now that FSD Beta has been expanded to so many more people. Will be keeping my eye on that and if anyone else who wants to add their opinion on here

Since I can still get FSD for $10k, is FSD worth it assuming everyone actually gets into the beta in the next 12 months?

looking to keep the model Y for 5-6 years.

Would love some opinions on anyone who has Fsd, especially the beta.
No, FSD is not worth $10,000.00 which is probably why new orders with FSD are allegedly being prioritized for delivery ahead of non-FSD orders.

Reactions: Fairchild
FSD always can be added later if I feel that I need it/like it. Or use a subscription model. Remember that you can't transfer your FSD purchase to a new Tesla if you decide to change the car in a few years.
Built-in Autopilot is more than enough for comfortable road trips IMO.