Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me or does everyone want to race a tesla..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Night before last, I was on 75 (Dallas) headed towards McKinney. It was late and we were on mile 650 of a 700 mile trip - not really as excited to be in the car as we were at mile one. Just then, a coffee can (any model of Japanese construction with the muffler modded to look like Folgers with a vent) buzzed around me, in front of me, then over another lane. After ten or twenty car lengths, he slowed down.

What I always tell myself: he recognized your car for what it is. the same can be said for your perception of his.

Game over.

I've even had a few motorbikes try an take on my 60. Both times it was a guy driving with a girl clinging on his back, once from a red light, and once at highway speed. Both times I ended up slowing down because I didn't want anyone to get hurt and it seemed like a "draw" was the respectable way out for all egos involved.

How do you know when someone is challenging you? I normally don't pay attention to what other drivers are doing outside of safety concerns.

Well, it's a guy thing (you know testosterone that we get driving fast cars--boys with their toys). Women too, but mostly a silly guy thing. You look at the car next to your, they stare back (normally a nice (or not so nice) sports car, or some joker Camaro or Vette or high end 4 door). A little gas, a little more and well before you know it you're doing 80. You know when this is about to occur--it's just obvious--can't describe.

Last edited:
How do you know when someone is challenging you? I normally don't pay attention to what other drivers are doing outside of safety concerns.

Look for things like:
- excessive revving of the engine (for a high RPM start)
- creeping up to the line as the light is about to turn green (for the rolling start)
- direct eye contact
- purposeful changing of lanes in order to get side by side for the light.

Then there are the sure signs like:
- you just raced him and the last red light and he wants a rematch
- girlfriend gets out of the car and stands between the two challengers with a scarf in her hand ;-)

Three different ways:

1. I don't know or notice until I hear the ICE next to me making a huge noise right as soon as the light turns. Never a real challenge -- if I didn't even notice his car it's not something that will contend. Kinda fun in that a quick tap on the go pedal ends it right then and there, don't even have to floor it.

2. If I'm already stopped and I notice the car coming up behind me purposely changes lanes to get next to me, there's a possibility that he's checking out the Tesla and wants to see what it can do when the light changes. Sometimes combines with #3 below:

3. If a late model, well-maintained sports car of some sort ends up beside me, it often means that the light change will be interesting. Sometimes there's a friendly head nod or even a conversation. Usually fun, and I'll be faster off the line but since I don't enjoy unsafe excessive speed, he'll catch up.

I'm a nut, so I'm almost always aware when a luxury sports car is in the vicinity. I get excited about Chevy Volts and Nissan Leafs, too. And I'm sorry to feel this way, but those Smart cars look stupid.

--
Edit: yes, and what hans and texex said, you kinda just know

Well, it's a guy thing (you know testosterone that we get driving fast cars). You look at the car next to your, they stare back (normally a nice (or not so nice) sports car, or some joker Camaro or Vette or high end 4 door). A little gas, a little more and well before you know it you're doing 80. You know when this is about to occur--it's just obvious--can't describe.
Way to be sexist... it's not necessarily a guy thing. I'm a girl.

Way to be sexist... it's not necessarily a guy thing. I'm a girl.

I was responding to the question.

That's why I said it's a testosterone thing--women don't tend to try and race each other at the light or in cars (as a whole--if you do more power to you). I was making fun of US guys, as we are nothing but little boys when it comes to cars. There are some women race car drivers Lil for example, and those that love cars. But the majority could careless about cars (or at least the ones I know--again on a percentage basis, not ALL).

Anyways, as my wife would say, it's a no win argument, so I won't.

Life has bigger things to get excited about. It's a car forum.

Last edited:
I was responding to the question--sorry you're so sensitive.

That's why I said it's a testosterone thing--women don't tend to try and race each other at the light or in cars (as a whole--if you do more woman power to you).

Chill....
Yeah, I know it's not typical. And you are right, no other girl has ever challenged me to race...

So you simply wait for the boyfriend of the other driver to get out of their car, step between the two car and wave his scarf.
Problem solved.

(and yes, I've noticed quite rampant sexism here on the forum)

Sorry @dirkhh, this still doesn't cover all the possible conditions in my neck of the woods.

No offence was intended but just to be correct, "wait for the partner of the other driver to get out of their car, step between the two cars and wave a scarf".

Sorry @dirkhh, this still doesn't cover all the possible conditions in my neck of the woods.

No offence was intended but just to be correct, "wait for the partner of the other driver to get out of their car, step between the two cars and wave a scarf".
Ha! I really was only kidding, didn't mean to take us down the p.c. path! Just pointing out not all car and speed enthusiasts are dudes.

<Some friendly banter (not kidding about that, believe it or not)>

I guess life in p.c. world can be complicated sometimes :rolleyes:

A while back some forum members used to suggest group hugs at times. I have a feeling I’m not qualified yet for such a suggestion, but what the heck.

</Some friendly banter>

Ha! I really was only kidding, didn't mean to take us down the p.c. path! Just pointing out not all car and speed enthusiasts are dudes.

My wife never was interested in cars.
Since the Tesla I have to fight to be able to drive it at times.
I haven't seen her racing, yet, but that's just a matter of time :)

And Hans is if course right. Lots of combinations to cover when trying to be PC. But I think there's a wife area between overly PC and sexist. And this forum at times drifts into somewhat questionable levels...

My wife never was interested in cars.
Since the Tesla I have to fight to be able to drive it at times.
I haven't seen her racing, yet, but that's just a matter of time :)

And Hans is if course right. Lots of combinations to cover when trying to be PC. But I think there's a wife area between overly PC and sexist. And this forum at times drifts into somewhat questionable levels...

HA HA HA that's so funny. I just had to fight my wife today to drive Tes home from the restaurant. SO, it's not just a guy thing. She was looking for someone to race her today on the way to the grocery store. LOLOLOL