Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it madness that wipers can't be controlled by the driver on cruise control or autopilot mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.

That problem is much easier to resolve at least, since you can always press the stalk button or adjust the wiping speed to go faster. Meanwhile there's no options at all other than completely stopping use of autopilot when it is wiping while dry (or apparently buying the multi-hundred dollar buttons someone else recommended earlier).
Didn't work that way for me. When I was in heavy rain and the wipers were only occasionally taking a swipe of two across the windshield I tried manually setting the speed to a high rate, but this did not stick and reverted back to auto. If autopilot was active the car seemed to require that it be in control of the wiper speed. The only option I had was to press the stalk button for individual wipes frequently. Maybe the SW has changed since then?

Upvote 0
my MY SW version 2023.38.200.1.2363 when I turn on CC wipers will start working during the night (a lot of city light) and to stop them i need to stop CC engagement.
During a sunny day CC is on and wipers are not engaging at all , working fine.

only during the night , wipers can be stops by disengaging CC only!!

I hope 2023.40 will fix it !!

Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
my MY SW version 2023.38.200.1.2363 when I turn on CC wipers will start working during the night (a lot of city light) and to stop them i need to stop CC engagement.
During a sunny day CC is on and wipers are not engaging at all , working fine.

only during the night , wipers can be stops by disengaging CC only!!

I hope 2023.40 will fix it !!
For me only the very latest "Holiday Update" 2023.44.30.x had any meaningful improvement.

Upvote 0
let me check what is going to happen once i received 2023.22.1 update , mine problem was related with the wipers turning on when there is no rain at all!
It might be better but I still had a phantom wipe happen in broad daylight so now I get into the habit of always turning them off as soon as CC/AP is engaged. At least that's finally possible.

Upvote 0
After every update somebody always comes in and says they are substantially better. However, after 6 years they are still hilariously bad. They don't really improve anymore, they just change behavior from time-to-time with updates. Some of those changes end up working better for some, but worse for others. Using a camera for this is just a technological dead end, but nobody in Tesla can ever admit this of course.

Upvote 0
now I get into the habit of always turning them off as soon as CC/AP is engaged. At least that's finally possible.

I just confirmed this on our vehicle, and I'm very happy !
When the Auto Wipe goes rogue, at least it's now possible to turn the damned things off and remain in AP !
I am on version 2023.44.30.7 (2023 MY AWD).

Upvote 0