Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it madness that wipers can't be controlled by the driver on cruise control or autopilot mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.

I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.
I agree 100% - I've owned a Model S for five years. I don't think it switches wipers to auto when in autopilot. Have new Model Y and was freaking out when I could not control wipers when in autopilot during snow storm. Took a google search in snow storm to figure out why I could not turn them off. Very dangerous in slushy snow and areas where snow is melting as the wiper will often streak the windshield if in auto mode resulting in clouding over windshield.
This is what happens when designer/coders live in Fremont. The only hack is to use gallons of deicer fluid when you constantly wash windshield - or avoid autopilot.

Reactions: KJD
Upvote 0
So I know this has been discussed, but really hoping there are some new revelations here on this group!

Yes, the wipers instantly revert to "auto mode" when autopilot is engaged. And does not seem to be a way to turn them off.

Anyone have a solution to even use simple cruise control (not even TACC) without having the wipers engage?

Here in Ohio, we have salt, sleet, rain, snow, all together, and so the junk coming off the road is often wet then dry, then spit, then nothing! One cannot just "turn on" wipers. you have to do it infrequently enough, or there isn't excessive smearing. The auto wipers mode starts going crazy because the smearing is making it worse! I had to keep putting on windshield fluid. Ultimately gave up and turned off cruise control altogether!!! UGH!

Any solutions?

Upvote 0
If your car has AP (base), it has TACC and there’s no way to turn that off. The only cars that have “simple” or “plain” cruise control are the ones that were sold prior to spring 2018 when base AP became standard and the buyer elected not to buy EAP or FSD. I’ve got a car like that and the fact that you can’t get this functionality on new cars has genuinely been a factor in me holding back from buying a new one.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Upvote 0
super frustrating! totally agree with original poster! these auto wipers are trash. they don't let you set sensitivity either - which is a very common feature. my wife's Volvo XC90 does an unbelievable job at the auto wiper function!

But here, the problem is not "quality" of auto wipers, but rather the fact that one cannot do cruise control (and yes, it's cruse control, not fancy autopilot!) and turn off auto wipers. in Ohio, the rain, sleet, snow, road junk, etc. is tough to deal with. one has to to switch from fast, to slow, to fluid - constantly. the auto function makes it a total smear. the person that said that messing with settings on the wipers will cause higher degree of distraction is 100% right. happened to me last night. ultimately I had to NOT do the autopilot at all! Sad!

Just hoping that a future sw update allows pure cruise control without AP and "allows" to turn off auto wipers!

Upvote 0
Here in Ohio, we have salt, sleet, rain, snow, all together, and so the junk coming off the road is often wet then dry, then spit, then nothing! One cannot just "turn on" wipers. you have to do it infrequently enough, or there isn't excessive smearing. The auto wipers mode starts going crazy because the smearing is making it worse! I had to keep putting on windshield fluid. Ultimately gave up and turned off cruise control altogether!!! UGH!

I have the same complaint here in southwest Ontario with the Model Y we got in late January. The stuff that comes off the highways in winter smears and only gets worse if you dry wipe it, but Auto isn't smart enough to run the washer. Sure you can wash manually, but the system won't leave well enough alone after that, and streaks the window again within the next minute, then reverts to wiping furiously trying to clear the streaks it made, forcing you to wash again. There are days when it's maddeningly unusable and you just have to drive the car without cruise control; which sucks on highway trips longer than 10 minutes or so.

I used to get frustrated at the radar on my Ioniq plug-in getting blocked in certain slush/sleet/freezing-spray conditions and smart cruise disabling, but at least there was a backup 'dumb cruise' mode that I could switch to. As far as I can tell on the Model Y, the only choices are furious wiping that wears the blades down to stubs, endless washing that drains the tank in a single inter-city trip, or no cruise control at all. I get it, the cameras need to see for auto-cruise, but there's certain conditions where wiping only just makes things worse and the car's software has no idea. It's properly maddening, and those that haven't experienced it directly will never understand just how maddening it is... :(

Upvote 0
This only happens on the Y and 3. The S and X do not require this to be on for FDSb engaged.

Does anyone know why it is set-up this way?
I believe that they have other types of sensors to rely on that dont need perfect camera vision. Its super annoying that they took these features away and we have a less smart car. Its so silly driving down the road on a perfectly clear day with the windshield wipers swinging. Embarrassing for such a high tech car.

Upvote 0
I believe that they have other types of sensors to rely on that dont need perfect camera vision. Its super annoying that they took these features away and we have a less smart car. Its so silly driving down the road on a perfectly clear day with the windshield wipers swinging. Embarrassing for such a high tech car.

Must be a different system. My S is working fine. Like in a previous post, these are on par with other high end cars I have owned. They were just as inconsistent as the Tesla. The big difference I have found with the Tesla is the progressive improvements with the OTA updates. Others did not improve during ownership. I use mine on auto about 90-95% of the time since I have the "luxury" of using the auto exclusive of the autopilot/fsdb setting.

Upvote 0
Afaik (pre Plaid at least) S & X have dedicated rain sensor

Not sure. Mine is the "new" S. Had it for 22 months (70k miles). When I first had the car, I would have been better off using crisco on the windshield in place of the auto wipers. With each OTA update, I could see incremental improvements. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas of last year is when I noticed a huge leap forward. Have been using the auto brights 100% and auto wipers 90-95% of the time - they have become that good.

Upvote 0
When on autopilot if the front cameras are remotely dirty or effected by salt road spray. The wipers wipe. Squirter squirts. You may drive blind but the autopilot wants to see.

I've never seen it squirt the squirter for me, it just dry wipes the salt spray, smearing it and making it worse. (At least with the software revs our Y has had since we got it.)

Reactions: Spinkick
Upvote 0