Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it madness that wipers can't be controlled by the driver on cruise control or autopilot mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.

I believe the S3XY buttons have a smart action that can disable auto highs and auto wipers in that situation. You have to remember that autopilot needs to see well to do its job and by disabling that, you might hinder autopilot. Use at your own risk.
EDIT: The logic is simple, autopilot uses the cameras to drive the car, so it needs the highs (to see far at night) and the wipers to clean the window in front of the camera. It's simple really.

Upvote 0
Madness you say?................

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 1.25.44 PM.png

Sorry, I couldnt resist, lol....

Back on thread topic, I am not a fan of taking control for that away from the user, but since they did, I assumed it was a requirement for the function that is active now.

Tesla vision likely requires this so... /shrug.

Upvote 0
I believe the S3XY buttons have a smart action that can disable auto highs and auto wipers in that situation. You have to remember that autopilot needs to see well to do its job and by disabling that, you might hinder autopilot. Use at your own risk.
EDIT: The logic is simple, autopilot uses the cameras to drive the car, so it needs the highs (to see far at night) and the wipers to clean the window in front of the camera. It's simple really.
Somehow, my autopilot managed to work just fine for two years before this update. With every little spec or drop, the wipers kick on, sometimes on full blast. Sometimes it kicks on if it sees a shadow. And is it logical for the wipers to do this in cruise control mode? And if this is the "simple" reason, why not just have the autopilot kick off in cases of it being too dirty and allow the driver control of what he/she can or cannot see? In those cases, the driver would simply clean the window themselves. In many cases, the car and windshield was clean and the wipers kicked on. If this is the "simple" explanation and autopilot is so sensitive, then autopilot "simply" won't work in snowy climates.

Upvote 0
Somehow, my autopilot managed to work just fine for two years before this update.

Since you are new to TMC (or at least it appears that way), perhaps you should search TMC (or elsewhere online) for "Tesla transitioning to Tesla Vision" as to why "it worked just fine for 2 years before this update" isnt relevant to now.

Upvote 0
I live in Canada. The snow is here and so is the salt and sand on the roads. The car gets filthy on every drive. There is no option to turn off auto wipers when my 2020 M3 is in cruise control or autopilot mode. The wipers kick on constantly streaking my windows. The only way to turn them off is to go off autopilot and/or cruise control. I have essentially not been able to use either autopilot or cruise control for three weeks now since the winter weather has arrived. This is because of a software update. This is my third winter with the car and I haven't had this problem before. I've called Tesla again today on this issue and was told that they are looking to make this a permanent feature. If that is the case, I will sell my car. It is making me hate the Tesla experience. What is the logic behind not allowing a driver to control his/her own wipers?!?!? I will never know.
I have a 2019 M3 and, yes, you can turn them off and also set them they way you want. The icon is to the right of your climate controls on the bottom of your MCU.

Reactions: Lasairfion
Upvote 0
I stopped using auto on the wipers a little while back due to inconsistent operation at night, which is when I drive often.

I noticed if I set my wipers before engaging TACC (put them on the first intermittent setting for example) it will keep my setting rather that going full auto, so that may be an option for you to try.

Reactions: Lasairfion
Upvote 0
It’s not that they’re necessary. I get that. It’s the inconsistent application that annoys. It’s barely misting and they’re on full blast. Or it’s pouring and they’re at level one.
They don't know how much it's raining/misting. They do it on if they can see out the window or not from the camera. If the glass is hard to see through it tries to clear them as fast as possible and then slowly backs off until it's slow enough it can see without needing them and auto turns them off.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Upvote 0
You're not alone OP, I have a found this infuriating as well.

The sad thing is that it would be very easy to fix the situation, just let the HUMAN user have some ability to override an automatic setting. Some will argue that Tesla doesn't want to allow the use of TACC because of compromised "vision" detection. Fine, fall back to standard cruise control and let the user pay attention as Tesla is so often nagging them to do.

Tesla is worried about liability? What if someone gets in a crash because the windshield wipers aren't going and somehow that compromises safety? Ignoring that that is the case for every car before that has simple cruise control, let's assume this is the issue. Fine, allow the user to waive liability in the user menu and allow standard cruise control should the user decide to override what Tesla thinks is "safest". This is what's done largely for the beta options anyways. Done, now the people who either benefit because the "auto" mode works properly for their model and environment and/or agree with the automatic detection one-size-fits-all approach is happy, and the people who don't want it and would rather handle themselves manually are also happy. But no, we must ignore use cases and believe that an algorithm knows best in all circumstances and has zero margin of error.

The irony is that when the windshield wipers go crazy and there's no rain or snow and as a driver you're trying to finagle the menu to either turn them off (and it won't let you) or figure out what's wrong, that's what does raise the probability to cause an accident.

Upvote 0
This is a problem because they dropped the physical rain sensor (foolishly) which could directly measure the amount of water.
sorry, no car on the planet has such a sensor. some cars do have dedicated wiper sensors but they all still work the same way, which is measure light transmittance through the windshield to try to guess the amount of water that's on it.

Upvote 0
Noticed that the latest update lets you pick the speed even in auto pilot. I didn’t try turning them off completely. Why would I? Camera needs to see the road. I also noticed that they don’t go full blast like they used when it wasn’t necessary.

Upvote 0
sorry, no car on the planet has such a sensor. some cars do have dedicated wiper sensors but they all still work the same way, which is measure light transmittance through the windshield to try to guess the amount of water that's on it.
OK, you're right, I did mean a physical sensor which looked at water on glass, compared to visual scenes 50 meters away, which is what a camera tries to do, and so ignores water on glass as much as possible because the focus distance is far and not close.

Upvote 0

If this is all it takes for you to have "madness" in your life, hate the Tesla experience, and want to sell the car - then just sell it. It will get worse for you as we go.

Tesla does things for an agenda (Gov't regs, safety, functional, cost, etc.) and they do not necessarily consult endusers. Tesla will make it permanent but will continue to work on it being better. I have seen tremendous progress in mine since I first drove it until now.

Out of several high-end cars, the Tesla autowipers are on par with all those. They work great when they work great - just not consistent.

Upvote 0
If this is all it takes for you to have "madness" in your life, hate the Tesla experience, and want to sell the car - then just sell it. It will get worse for you as we go.

Tesla does things for an agenda (Gov't regs, safety, functional, cost, etc.) and they do not necessarily consult endusers. Tesla will make it permanent but will continue to work on it being better. I have seen tremendous progress in mine since I first drove it until now.

Out of several high-end cars, the Tesla autowipers are on par with all those. They work great when they work great - just not consistent.
That’s part of the problem, all the regulations because of stupid people and the fact that they can come back and sue the manufacturers! I understand there are cases where the company is at fault, but in todays world our laws favor the stupid people.

Upvote 0
Noticed that the latest update lets you pick the speed even in auto pilot. I didn’t try turning them off completely. Why would I? Camera needs to see the road. I also noticed that they don’t go full blast like they used when it wasn’t necessary.
Yes this is the behavior since the requirement was added with Tesla Vision mid 2021 for vision cars, v9.0 for FSD beta, q3 2022 for all remaining radar cars. You can’t turn them “off” but you don’t have to keep it on Auto.

Upvote 0