Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me, or is the Model Y really ugly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the look of the M3 IIRC the designer of the M3's look was the designer of the recent Mazdas (which I currently own) so I was drawn to the similar design characteristics, the Y took a little while for me to like but it's definitely grown on me, I personally prefer the 3's chrome and that's the only downside to the Y, but I think i'm in the minority there looking at all those who chrome delete the 3.

Chrome deleters only occur on here a lot because it is an intersting update to the car. Many more of us, I suspect, don't do it because we like the original chrome, but just don't say it. If I ever got a Model Y I would be looking for chrome adding!
"Chrome don't get ya home"

TBH for me it's all about which colour option you have. The blue and black and probably grey model 3 looks better without chrome. the White looks better with and the red, and maybe grey, can get away with either. It's all subject though. Going back to the OP I do think the Y is ugly but I think all crossover/small SUVs look ugly. They just don't look how I think cars should look. I fully admit I'm in the minority here as they are WAY more popular these days than saloons or hatches.

Chrome deleters only occur on here a lot because it is an intersting update to the car. Many more of us, I suspect, don't do it because we like the original chrome, but just don't say it. If I ever got a Model Y I would be looking for chrome adding!

You know I deleted my chrome and I've been thinking of going back. The blue 3s do look good with chrome and the lighter colored wheels if you ask me.

You know I deleted my chrome and I've been thinking of going back. The blue 3s do look good with chrome and the lighter colored wheels if you ask me.

I also think that because the Tesla chrome is not the super-shiny slightly tacky kind it's a bit more classy than some ... it's more like polished aluminium ... in fact it probably is! I think I lean more towards the chrome look that delineates the lines of the car more successfully than the chrome delete.

I was going to say i like the chrome on the blue - I've ordered a blue so should look awesome!!! With the blue Y's it looks like the door handles are missing and it's just a dark hole that's left, yes the dark wheels look good and the window frames aren't bad, its just those damn handles!!!

Everyone has different taste but Model Y is definitely the ugliest lineup of Tesla at least to my eyes.
You may find it to be the best looking crossover but I just can't agree.
But, I'm about to order Y because I need a functional EV that is roomy, which Model 3 lacks on.

Reactions: Neilio
I know this is a bit controversial for this forum, but I don’t particularly ‘love’ the styling on any Teslas. It’s not why I chose to buy one, but I love that they look like Teslas.

The S is my least favourite in terms of looks! Sorry guys. But I would still love to own one!

I like that my Model 3 has a drag coefficient of (edit) 0.23, but I agree it is a bit funny looking from some angles.

With the free colour white I chose for my M3, I feel like I’m driving a ‘transport appliance’. #futureUber

I would definitely have bought a Model Y if it was available in the U.K. for practicality over the M3.

This is all very subjective. Maybe a poll of best looking Tesla would be good?

Last edited:
I know this is a bit controversial for this forum, but I don’t particularly ‘love’ the styling on any Teslas. It’s not why I chose to buy one, but I love that they look like Teslas.

The S is my least favourite in terms of looks! Sorry guys. But I would still love to own one!

I like that my Model 3 has a drag coefficient of 0.93, but I agree it is a bit funny looking from some angles.

With the free colour white I chose for my M3, I feel like I’m driving a ‘transport appliance’. #futureUber

I would definitely have bought a Model Y if it was available in the U.K. for practicality over the M3.

This is all very subjective. Maybe a poll of best looking Tesla would be good?
I would agree with this. The model 3 is a tricky one. From certain angle, particularly down low looking at the front side profile it looks really good but from others it either looks terrible or like A.N. car. The front on view is really ugly. All out of proportion and too much windscreen. Which is why the Y is so ugly because it loses the sleek side profile and the elevated front view is amplified.

Looks certainly aren't Teslas strong point .

Each to their own. I love the look of the Model S, like the look of the Model 3 and think the Model Y is "alright" for a crossover. Not my favourite, I like it most in black probably because it hides its bulk better. I find many car designs overly aggressive or "fussy" and prefer the minimalistic and sleek aesthetic Tesla goes for. The upcoming Roadster is my favourite though. ;)

Reactions: Llama.
I'll bite.

You really have to go back to the intention to cut through the BS. It often nullifies lots of bad takes that miss the point completely (people are entitled to their opinion but it doesn't make them right).

Tesla's design language has to be drag efficient. This dictates a lot but also gives them challenges to appeal to current tastes whilst aligning with what makes Tesla, 'Tesla'. The original SAAB's and Tatra's spring to mind.

Roadster - Performance at all costs
S - Make the EV an item of desire
3 - Make the EV accessible and inoffensive to the masses without losing the established design language (this doesn't mean 'ugly', it means risk-averse relatively speaking)
X - Luxury SUV market. Say no more. 'Beat' the competitors on every count, no matter how gimmicky
Y - Practicality, practicality, practicality with hilarious performance that grabs buyers who may otherwise spend less, but on two vehicles
Cybertruck - Mind space. Also some clicks. Confirm to investors that Tesla are coming for parts of the industry previously untouched by EV's

The upcoming Roadster is my favourite though. ;)
But when? I’d promised myself that my S was a steppingstone to that but at least another 2-3years for a rt hand drive version and likely downgraded to 400 mile range like the plaid and another cost jump from the concept launch pricing? It wouldn't uprise me to see it pushed back almost indefinitely while they shift volume cars. It must gate to those that earned freebies via referral codes.

I think it is very good looking for a SUV. I think it should be compared to other SUVs and in that regard it is IMO one of the best looking cars. But might be biased.. :)

Imo the 3 also looks better than the S… ahhh Well…